506 replies to this topic

#501 Yama

Yama

The only honest Scorpion

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6,504 posts

Posted 21 May 2017 - 1434 PM

There is no way any of the EF countries would buy Rafale (even though it is in many ways a better aircraft).

Tornado has maybe decade of useful service left, without major upgrades. That is probably too short a timeframe to come up with a potent UCAV solution.

#502 Yama

Yama

The only honest Scorpion

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6,504 posts

Posted 21 May 2017 - 1452 PM

Edited by Yama, 21 May 2017 - 1453 PM.

#503 lastdingo

lastdingo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,959 posts

Posted 21 May 2017 - 1535 PM

I suppose the Typhoon is going to be the much better fighter once it finally gets the long overdue AESA radar (CAPTOR-E) and Meteor.

I expect them to keep Tornado alive beyond 2030. Look what has been done with B-52s ... flying zombies. The Tornado will keep flying as a bomb truck and a buddy tanker and maybe even as a standoff missile truck.

#504 Mr King

Mr King

Major Washout

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,005 posts
  • Interests:Odds and Ends

Posted 21 May 2017 - 2121 PM

#505 Yama

Yama

The only honest Scorpion

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6,504 posts

Posted Yesterday, 05:38 AM

I suppose the Typhoon is going to be the much better fighter once it finally gets the long overdue AESA radar (CAPTOR-E) and Meteor.

I expect them to keep Tornado alive beyond 2030. Look what has been done with B-52s ... flying zombies. The Tornado will keep flying as a bomb truck and a buddy tanker and maybe even as a standoff missile truck.

It's going to take much more than the radar to make Typhoon competive in 2020's. Much of the avionics are getting obsolescent - EW, IRST, missile approach warning system all are in dire need of update, sensor fusion is lacking, there is no fighter-to-fighter datalink and so on.
Eurofighter conglomeration is simply too slow and cumbersome to upgrade the fighter in meaningful ways. Compare to this to methodological fashion France is upgrading Rafale.

Tornado undoubtely could be kept operationally viable until 2030's, question is, will they? Decisions need to be made very soon.

#506 seahawk

seahawk

military loving leftist peace monkey

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,904 posts

Posted Yesterday, 09:43 AM

That is quite easy. It does not have the equipment to carry, arm and release US nuclear weapons, nor is it certified to do so.

Well, for starters, there's no next generation Rafale specified yet, so it's nonsense to claim that such an aircraft could not drop some B61.
Any aircraft that can employ Mk 83 bombs can employ B61 bombs with marginal changes to software.

Besides, the B-61 IS NOT IN THE LIST OF F-35 MUNITIONS.

https://www.defenset...sooner-planned/

B61-12 Integration for USAF versions planed for 2020. Earlier is possible.

I am not going to comment on the Rafale comment, if you can not see that the integration of US atomic weapons into a French fighter might turn out to be difficult on every end and not so cheap either. But I am sure it will work, as long as Future Rafale poops rainbows too.

#507 Yama

Yama

The only honest Scorpion

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6,504 posts

Posted Yesterday, 02:43 PM

Next generation Rafale is under development, it is called F4 standard and it's going to be available by 2023.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users