194 replies to this topic

#181 Markus Becker

Markus Becker

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,911 posts

Posted 13 October 2019 - 2052 PM

Exercising to burn calories of the 'brownie'.

https://i.imgur.com/JqnyxCp.jpg

That is either a poorly balanced gun or we do it wrong. Yes, we probably did it wrong.

#182 Stargrunt6

Stargrunt6

Empire Apologist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7,838 posts

Posted 14 October 2019 - 1137 AM

With combatives being used for exercise like cardio kickboxing and tae bo, maybe we should have Flakersize?

#183 Markus Becker

Markus Becker

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,911 posts

Posted 14 October 2019 - 1224 PM

Seven Tank Netters walk into a shore battery and find...: https://i.imgur.com/yN65tla.jpg

Edited by Markus Becker, 14 October 2019 - 1225 PM.

#184 Markus Becker

Markus Becker

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,911 posts

Posted 16 October 2019 - 2050 PM

Axel, look what we found!

https://i.imgur.com/DS9lfeD.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/DEIwksU.jpg

#185 Markus Becker

Markus Becker

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,911 posts

Posted 17 October 2019 - 2141 PM

I&I update.

Schedule: Relocate from Mobile to Orlando.

Execution: Departed almost on time at 09:45 in what a guest described as winter weather(aka not steaming hot).

The Allan- and Leomobile went straight for Orlando. We took a detour to the Air Force Armament Museum at Eglin and enjoyed the planes, bombs, guns and the shooting of a Pin Up calendar.

No major or minor F-ups on route. Encountered a slow moving BWM that owned the left lane and a cashier who asked Sunday where he learned Spanish.

Currently we are having dinner at Harold's after not stopping at Harold to see the Church of Harold. Yes, this place exists.

#186 Markus Becker

Markus Becker

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,911 posts

Posted 17 October 2019 - 2143 PM

https://i.imgur.com/0ZrZg79.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/Hmxkc6H.jpg

#187 shep854

shep854

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,442 posts

Posted 19 October 2019 - 0741 AM

Fascinating secondary landing gear legs...

----

While visiting the musea and historical sites was memorable, by far the best part was finally meeting and getting to hand out with people I had known over the interwebs for many years.  I  deeply hope to see them--and other Tanknetters--again!  I like 'See Ya Later!' much more than 'good-bye'.

L-R: Shep, Harold, Flying Can Opener, DB, Stargrunt, Sunday, Allen, Leo.  Markus Becker was behind the camera.

72552540_10156100952336525_5472658212010

Edited by shep854, 19 October 2019 - 0748 AM.

#188 Markus Becker

Markus Becker

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,911 posts

Posted 19 October 2019 - 1828 PM

I&I update No.2, 2nd, modified try

Schedule: Visit the Kennedy Space Center

Execution: Leo left to attend the marriage in Mexico. Both cars arrived within five minutes of each other at the KSC, each missing one turn.

Once there we scattered faster than convoy PQ17 expecting the Tirpitz.

Harold went on the military base tour but the old missiles were undergoing restoration.

Jose -who some American thought was Australian- and me went on the launch pad tour and saw a literal observation bunker made from sandbag shaped blocks of concrete. It looked like someone dropped an HE shell on top of it but actually it died of old age, being there since the 50s.

Other notable sights: The crawler (2mph, 32gal per mile), a rescue M113, an alligator (the reptile) and plenty of ladies in short shorts and thight pants. And unlike the ones in New Orleans and Mobile they had appropriate the legs and so on for what they were (not) wearing.

The way back saw no navigational mishaps but a serious traffic jam because a car transporter had gone off the road, leading to one line being closed.

Allan and his future CIC(also known as wife) had to go back to yesterday's restaurant to pick up the credit card left there.

The rest of us went 50ish miles with Harold to see his older brother. RTB was 23:00 hours after several slight navigational F-ups, none of which cost any time. We aggred to blame Dave's satnav in memory of it's epic performance last year.

#189 shep854

shep854

• Members
  • 20,442 posts

Posted 19 October 2019 - 2110 PM

Once there we scattered faster than convoy PQ17 expecting the Tirpitz.
That pretty much describes I&I on objectives... 😄

#190 Stargrunt6

Stargrunt6

Empire Apologist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7,838 posts

Posted 20 October 2019 - 1555 PM

what's ironic is that most tank netters seem more interested in Air and Naval warfare and systems. I suppose "Air and Naval Net" doesn't have quite the ring.

#191 Markus Becker

Markus Becker

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,911 posts

Posted 20 October 2019 - 2023 PM

Day one of post I and I:

Schedule: Shift base to Ft. Harold in Denver.

Execution: Left hotel at 05:00 in New Orleans weather.

Went through security without any problems(mostly).

Took off in time with a fully packed aircraft. Nice one too. Leg space like in the 777 we took from Heathrow.

Interesting discovery. There is also heating in America or they just turned the AC off. Either way it is getting warming here. ... Scratch that, they just gave the AC time to cool off and now the temperature is reaching the levels in that rest stop on the way from NO to Mobile. Think peeing little yellow ice cubes.

Denver was warm-ish. No clouds, no wind, so the sun could warm you up well. The rest of the day was spend with unpacking, lunch, buying provisions and drinking some of them in the early evening. And petting the dogs, much petting the dogs.

#192 shep854

shep854

• Members
  • 20,442 posts

Posted Yesterday, 07:09 AM

what's ironic is that most tank netters seem more interested in Air and Naval warfare and systems. I suppose "Air and Naval Net" doesn't have quite the ring.

Tolerant and diverse...  :P

#193 Markus Becker

Markus Becker

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,911 posts

Posted Yesterday, 10:25 AM

Day two of post I and I:

Schedule: Railway Museum, Red Rocks and the Gun Show.

Execution: Thanks to Dave's never enough to be cursed Satnav* we had navigational errors every single time.

That being said, we were almost literally blown away at the museum and Red Rocks. The wind was that bad.

The gun show was double amazing. Lot's of old guns and lack of political correctness. We bought T-shirts. MAGA and 'Dont Californicate my Colorado'.

Also visited the former home of the very large garden snake. Jose went to holy mass, I went into a bar.

*Dave and his never enough to be cursed Satnav are not actually here but we agreed that from this point on all navigational errors are their fault.

#194 shep854

shep854

• Members
  • 20,442 posts

Posted Yesterday, 04:35 PM

Is Dave's navigator a Lucas product??

#195 Markus Becker

Markus Becker

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,911 posts

Posted Yesterday, 07:40 PM

Day three of post I and I:

Schedule: Wings over the Rockies and Railway(Transportation) Museum No.2

Execution: No navigational mishaps on the routes, just some rush hour on the way back.

WotR has an early B-52 in front of the museum and a surprisingly not crapmed exhibition. The usual AF and Navy planes plus some civilian ones and unusual stuff: a Douglas B-18 Bolo(DC-3 based).

The transportation museum has a bit of everything: cars, motorbikes, bicycles and railway rolling stock from a very small to the largest locomotive on earth.

So all was almost well. I wasn't, one sided hydration the evening before and the altitude got me pretty good but drugs and time took care of that.