39 replies to this topic

#21 Ivanhoe

Ivanhoe

purposeful grimace

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,213 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 1048 AM

Thanks for the tip Adam! I remember reading somewhere Seagate drives have been crappy lately. I'll go check what the HDs in those Lenovos are then. :)

Main culprits are the "green" or "low power" ones. Those are constantly parking the heads, thus stressing the mechanism.

Yeah, in fact I believe the Green Routine is driving the conversion to SSD storage. My last hard drive purchase had to be a drive with "green technology" to hit my price/performance/capacity needs (and on sale at Newegg). Problem is, when I'm multitasking, I might read an article, then go back to Youtube and download a video onto my 3rd drive, which requires that hard drive to drop its cigarette, get its ass off the couch, warm up, then resume doing its damn job. Its only a 2 second delay, but its 2 seconds 5 times a night. Maddening.

BTW, re: SSD, ISTR reading somewhere that it's not entirely reliable, that these are prone to malfunctioning, and that it's a bitch to replace.

SSD storage now is highly reliable. They do suffer from "crib death" but extremely rarely. If an SSD drive survives the first week, it'll last you much longer than a disk drive. Replacement is no different than a hard disk. Main thing is you need to have a big USB external disk for making images and backups (which you need to have, regardless). Then you just image the existing drive, swap the new drive in, and copy the image to the new drive. You can then use the previous hard disk as a backup drive somewhere.

In fact, due to SSD's vastly better shock & vibration tolerance, I highly recommend buying a new laptop with a small, cheap hard disk and doing the swap to SSD yourself. Or customize the laptop with a big but slow hard disk, then swap in an SSD, and put the big/slow hard disk in a USB3 external enclosure for use in backups. In your case, working with big huge video files, you can run with a smaller SSD for your OS and everyday use, and store your big bulky video data on the external.

#22 Corinthian

Corinthian

Stone Age Bitter Delusional Retard

• Members
  • 21,349 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 1601 PM

How do I know if the SSD is one of the better ones? What's a reliable brand for an SSD?

Sunday: 60k, while doable, is really digging into the wallet HAHAHA! Much rather spend less of course hehehe

#23 Corinthian

Corinthian

• Members
  • 21,349 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 1604 PM

Since the camera is currently set to record MP4 format, video files usually are 30-60MB large in FHD since I record in clips. But there are many clips so....

When I use two cameras, the other keeps on recording, and THAT can lead to large video files from 500MB to 1GB.

#24 sunday

sunday

Bronze-age right-wing delusional retard

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12,025 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 1615 PM

How do I know if the SSD is one of the better ones? What's a reliable brand for an SSD?

Sunday: 60k, while doable, is really digging into the wallet HAHAHA! Much rather spend less of course hehehe

Intel, Crucial, Samsung: http://www.tomshardw...hmark,3269.html

However, in a laptop with charged batteries, that's less of an issue, as one of the big failure scenarios is shutting down the computer while writing data to disk.

I'm missing very much Fritz in this thread.

Edited by sunday, 10 April 2014 - 1615 PM.

#25 Ivanhoe

Ivanhoe

purposeful grimace

• Members
  • 32,213 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 1845 PM

What I do when buying components is to decide on the capacity and speed, then go to newegg.com, do a search, and sort by customer rating. Scanning the 5 and 4 star ratings, it becomes clear pretty quick which brands are doing well in the consumer market. With hard disks a given brand can be making great low-speed consumer drives but self-destructo server-class drives (looking at you, Seagate circa 2000), or vice versa. So you need to compare ratings for your particular class of drive. Ignore any ratings for a particular model that only has a few ratings. But if 100s of buyers praise a particular drive, that's a good sign. I don't think a drive with a rating of 4.7 is any better than one with an average rating of 4.2, but those would definitely be a safer bet than a drive with an average rating of 3.1.

#26 Corinthian

Corinthian

• Members
  • 21,349 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 2036 PM

Oks! Lots of tanks! ^_^ Will go check out newegg.com then when I have my shopping money. :D

My current laptop's basically a desktop because the battery has been dead for years. Was supposed to get a replacement some, oh, four-five years ago but I forgots hahahaha!

#27 urbanoid

urbanoid

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5,412 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 0330 AM

The one I bought recently may fit your criteria.

Lenovo Y510P

GeForce GT 755M

1 TB HDD

8 GB RAM

Intel Core i7-4700MQ 2.40 GHz

I'm satisfied with performance when playing games, battery is also decent (not less then 5-6 hours of normal work - Internet, MSWord etc.)

I had my crappy stationary PC and was too lazy to replace it for years, that is until the last month, now I use this one both at home and uni.

EDIT: Oh, and it was a little less than 1200 USD, so it also fits.

Edited by urbanoid, 11 April 2014 - 0348 AM.

#28 Corinthian

Corinthian

• Members
  • 21,349 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 0634 AM

The Lenovo Y510P would be very nice, unfortunately it is beyond budget at almost P70,000.00

http://pcx.com.ph/la...89572-win8.html

:(

BTW, any ideas on Samsung laptops?

Another local online store that has relatively cheaper prices is this: kim.com.ph/c/laptops-notebooks/

I get my cameras from them. Usually cheaper compared to the other brick-and-mortar or local online shops.

#29 urbanoid

urbanoid

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5,412 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 1026 AM

70000? Wow, I paid a little less than 3600 zlotys for mine, or P53000. Maybe you can try to find it elsewhere?

#30 Corinthian

Corinthian

• Members
  • 21,349 posts

Posted 12 April 2014 - 0138 AM

I think one reason why computers are expensive here is customs duties and shipping costs.

#31 Corinthian

Corinthian

• Members
  • 21,349 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 0209 AM

OMG TEH MONEEZ IZ ARRIVING HAZ ARRIVED! :o :o :o

And I still haven't decided yet hahahaha!

Having seen what I'll be getting just got, I can safely say I can afford that Lenovo Y510P. I am still, however, unsure if that's the proper place to put my money, ya know, bang-for-buck, etc etc etc. Part of me says "Get it, get the bestest laptop your moneez can get" so I won't have any near-future issues WRT data handling/crunching/spitting. Yet part of me says "Spend wisely fool! Don't get the most expensive bestestest kind! There's better options than bestestest!" So I iz still confused....

I'm also going to change my decision to go MAGIX Movie Edit Pro Plus, instead I'll be using CyberLink PowerDirector 11 for video editing.

I've got a long-term 30-40 minute-long bike movie project in mind to do starting this May 2014 and the arrival of teh moneez comes just in time for this project. ^_^

Edited by TomasCTT, 15 April 2014 - 0259 AM.

#32 Ivanhoe

Ivanhoe

purposeful grimace

• Members
  • 32,213 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 1105 AM

Buy once, cry once. Particularly for what you are doing, figure out what the weak link is going to be (CPU, GPU, RAM) and max that out. You don't want to be spending all day pounding 20-penny nails with an 8 ounce hammer.

#33 Corinthian

Corinthian

• Members
  • 21,349 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 1512 PM

I was told the Lenovo Y510P can be had here for roughly the same price as urbanoid got it.

The MSI GP70 is very appealing. I've emailed one of the online shops for availability. Currently it's got the edge because it's cheaper than the Y510P and has a 17" screen. Currently it's on the top of the shortlist with Lenovo Y510P at second place if I could find that cheaper-but-reputable seller. ^_^

#34 Corinthian

Corinthian

• Members
  • 21,349 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 2322 PM

urbanoid, your Y510P, was it with all the bells and whistles? i.e., dual GT755M SLI GPUs, 8GB DDR3 RAM, 24GB+1TB SSHD? Apparently, the 70k price I got for the Y510P was the one with all the bells and whistles. The basic one with 1x GT750M 8GB DDR3 and 1TB HD goes for 53k.

Sunday told me that dual SLI GPUs are used only by some games. I also found out that one of the video editing tools - Adobe Premier Pro - can also take advantage of dual GPUs. No word on Cyberlink PowerDirector 12 if it uses dual GPUs - nothing in the specs and marketing lit on it. In another website or forum, I read that for video editing, two GPUs are overkill. As for games, I'm not really much into FPS games or RTS games anymore like C&C. Command: Air/Naval Operations and similar Harpoon-like games I prefer, and I reckon that doesn't need much graphics. And finally, I would be able to play Steel Beasts 2 Pro PE or such. So, I'm going to 1x GPU then instead of dual.

That said, my list has shortened to just two:

MSI GP70

Lenovo Y510P (basic)

The MSI has a bigger screen (17") but a lower (740M) GPU vs Lenovo's smaller screen (15") but a better GPU (750M). Whatever will be chosen will all boil down to availability and price. Which ever is first available, it'll be picked. If both are available, whichever is cheaper (that'll be the basic Y510P at 53k vs MSI at 55k). I'm looking to upgrade the RAM to 16GB as well when I get it this week (aiming for Tuesday night or Wednesday - will go recon stores in a little while).

Sunday's been suggesting I get an external monitor if I need a larger screen. Having measured my desk space, I *think* I can squeeze in a 23" LED monitor. One thing that attracted me to the idea of an external monitor was that PowerDirector 12 has a feature which you can have the video displayed on a second screen, with the first screen for the main editing workspace. Having a large external screen would also be a nice thing to test my videos on so I know how it'd look like on TVs.

Here's the spec list of the Cyberlink PowerDirector 12 Ultimate which I'm getting:

http://www.cyberlink...en_US.html?&r=1

Seems either laptop choice fits the requirements well enough.

So excited to get the new laptop this week. I just hope either is available.

Edited by TomasCTT, 18 April 2014 - 2324 PM.

#35 Corinthian

Corinthian

• Members
  • 21,349 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 0230 AM

Recon success.

Turns out the Lenovo and MSI shops shared store space at the mall hehehe

BOTH laptops were there. The Y510P they had was the top of the line one with i7-4700MQ dual GT755s, 8GB RAM, and SSHD. Cash and credit price was P70k.

The MSI GP70 with i7-4800MQ GT740M 8GB RAM and 1TB HD was at 54k. If payment in cash: 51k.

I just placed a downpayment/reservation for the MSI GP70. I also just bought 16GB of DDR3 RAM and had it installed already in the machine. I'm so excited to get it on Wednesday night as soon as the check I received is clear. ^_^

I visited the Samsung store as well and looked at their LED monitors. They have a 27" LED monitor at a very nice price and I am just *soooooooooooo* tempted to get it as well ahihihihi! ^_^

#36 urbanoid

urbanoid

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5,412 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 0238 AM

urbanoid, your Y510P, was it with all the bells and whistles? i.e., dual GT755M SLI GPUs, 8GB DDR3 RAM, 24GB+1TB SSHD? Apparently, the 70k price I got for the Y510P was the one with all the bells and whistles. The basic one with 1x GT750M 8GB DDR3 and 1TB HD goes for 53k.

A single GT755M, I didn't take dual ones because I needed to have the CD-ROM station. There was an option for 120GB SSD + external 1TB HDD, but I chose to have 1TB internal HDD only. Plus 8GB DDR3 and i7 4700-MQ 2.4 GHz.

#37 Corinthian

Corinthian

• Members
  • 21,349 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 0321 AM

Bingo. That'll explain the price you got for your Lenovo then. Almost same price for the same specs over here from an online seller - but I do not trust online seller for such an item, prefer instead store which has the souped-up version only.

I'm pretty happy with the MSI I'm picking up next week. I'm so tempted to get that Samsung monitor ahihihihi! ^_^

#38 Corinthian

Corinthian

• Members
  • 21,349 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 1156 AM

WHOOOPS!!!!! Apparently PowerDirector 12 can use dual GPUs. I apparently overlooked that bit when reading the literature. WAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!! Anyhow no regrets in my choice considering the price I paid. ^_^

#39 sunday

sunday

Bronze-age right-wing delusional retard

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12,025 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 1235 PM

Dual GPUs rarely double the performance, anyway.

#40 Corinthian

Corinthian

• Members
  • 21,349 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 2004 PM

Sunday: YAY! ^_^ Guess not a big loss for me then. I hope the added RAM will help in rendering the Vision vids I have in mind.

Just found out in my calendar that I have night duty on Wednesday night. CURSES! This means I won't get my laptop on Wednesday night as I be at the office. Will try to move up the sked on Tuesday (I hope the check clears by then, bank said it should be on that day).

I'm so excited... ^_^

Edited by TomasCTT, 19 April 2014 - 2005 PM.