16 replies to this topic

#1 Dawes

Dawes

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,642 posts

Posted 12 June 2019 - 1924 PM

I see the upgrade includes a "light alloy" receiver to replace the polymer one. Wasn't this the purported major issue with the G36?

https://www.joint-fo...mod-g36-upgrade

#2 Simon Tan

Simon Tan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13,147 posts

Posted 12 June 2019 - 2356 PM

I was just thinking about this a few days ago. Buy up g36 partskits and make receiver. Also need a semiauto fcg.

#3 Chris Werb

Chris Werb

In Zod We Trust

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10,996 posts

Posted 14 June 2019 - 1519 PM

Who is getting rid of G36s to provide the parts kits?

#4 Colin

Colin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,992 posts

Posted 14 June 2019 - 1906 PM

Or Spain sells the receiver and someone makes parts...

#5 rmgill

rmgill

Strap-hanger

• Members
  • 24,250 posts

Posted 14 June 2019 - 1934 PM

I was just thinking about this a few days ago. Buy up g36 partskits and make receiver. Also need a semiauto fcg.

Not a half bad idea. You could market them to SG1 Fanboys! Have to get them down to the Import restriction levels for US market though.

#6 Simon Tan

Simon Tan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13,147 posts

Posted 15 June 2019 - 0440 AM

Receivers would be hecho in estados. A picatinny top rail is needed unless you really dig crappy optics. STANAG magwell to save on mags. Optional G36 magwell as aftermarket kit for fanbois.

#7 shep854

shep854

• Members
  • 20,507 posts

Posted 15 June 2019 - 0827 AM

Tommybuilt T36

#8 R011

R011

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6,776 posts

Posted 15 June 2019 - 1141 AM

Not a half bad idea. You could market them to SG1 Fanboys! Have to get them down to the Import restriction levels for US market though.

SG1 fanboys would want the iconic weapon used in the show: FN P-90.

#9 Dawes

Dawes

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,642 posts

Posted 15 June 2019 - 1243 PM

Think I'd probably take the G36 over the P90.

QOAxgy4.jpg

#10 Panzermann

Panzermann

REFORGER '79

• Members
  • 16,647 posts

Posted 15 June 2019 - 1333 PM

They ahve also used MP5 and shorty AR-15-ish types. I want one of those snake shaped paralyzing guns!

#11 Gavin-Phillips

Gavin-Phillips

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,606 posts

Posted 15 June 2019 - 1405 PM

They ahve also used MP5 and shorty AR-15-ish types. I want one of those snake shaped paralyzing guns!

Zat gun, yeah those are pretty cool.  I'd be happy with a "staff weapon" myself although P90's are pretty cool.  From what I've read it cost them a fortune for the blank 5.7mm ammunition for those guns.  Surprised they didn't stick with something using 9x19mm like MP5 or similar.

#12 Panzermann

Panzermann

REFORGER '79

• Members
  • 16,647 posts

Posted 16 June 2019 - 0612 AM

Zat gun, yeah those are pretty cool.  I'd be happy with a "staff weapon" myself although P90's are pretty cool.  From what I've read it cost them a fortune for the blank 5.7mm ammunition for those guns.  Surprised they didn't stick with something using 9x19mm like MP5 or similar.

Or rebuild the FN P90 into a gas gun like many propmasters do. That is a conversion for firearms to spit out propane that is then ignited to produce the muzzle flash. Certainly cheaper than a hard to get boutique blank cartridge.

#13 rmgill

rmgill

Strap-hanger

• Members
  • 24,250 posts

Posted 16 June 2019 - 1118 AM

I've built a gas gun....I dunno, fitting all that into a compact package and getting brass ejection...tricky. We've been trying to figure out how to stuff that into a Bren receiver....a P90 sized package with Oxy and propane....very tricky.

They showed brass ejection in SG1 which always looks better. I think they were also firing live ammo in some scenes.

Edited by rmgill, 16 June 2019 - 1120 AM.

#14 Colin

Colin

• Members
  • 16,992 posts

Posted 17 June 2019 - 0148 AM

https://www.youtube....2&v=mOsYk0jZMt4

#15 Chris Werb

Chris Werb

In Zod We Trust

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10,996 posts

Posted 21 June 2019 - 1742 PM

If you can have a live full auto BREN. Why would you want a propane conversion, Ryan? Cost?

#16 rmgill

rmgill

Strap-hanger

• Members
  • 24,250 posts

Posted 22 June 2019 - 0450 AM

I only have a blank only simulator. Until we found the 4 blank only simulators, we looked at oxy-propane as a way to get Brens for more correct presence in our group.

And cost too of .303 blanks vs oxygen and propane. A full auto Bren, due to rarity (NFA + GCA'68), costs in the range to $50,000+. If it's VERY vintage it's more. FAR more. 

#17 Chris Werb

Chris Werb

In Zod We Trust

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10,996 posts

Posted 22 June 2019 - 0640 AM

I only have a blank only simulator. Until we found the 4 blank only simulators, we looked at oxy-propane as a way to get Brens for more correct presence in our group.

And cost too of .303 blanks vs oxygen and propane. A full auto Bren, due to rarity (NFA + GCA'68), costs in the range to $50,000+. If it's VERY vintage it's more. FAR more. 

Over here Mk 1s used to be the cheapest, although they fetched maybe a third to half as much again if they had the optical sight bracket and other early features. The Mk 2 and onwards were a lot more expensive and hard to get hold of. Nowadays I don't see any difference in prices between vanilla Mk 1s and Mk2s and 3s (all around £400-£550), though early 1s still fetch a premium of about double that. Of course, we are talking about something that is essentially a very large paperweight. Legally you would be in a very dodgy grey area if you tried to convert a deact to propane firing here as it would lose it's proofed as deactivated status. You would be better off  jumping through the regulatory hoops and getting a live firer.