• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Ivanhoe

Ivanhoe

purposeful grimace

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 31,832 posts
  • Interests:military technology, military history, weapon systems, management/organizational design, early American history

Posted 16 June 2019 - 1943 PM

Clickbait for sure, but this weekend I have been perusing the Intertubes, and you know that said activity leads to madness.

I ran across one of those genius-filled squib-rod measuring contests concerning thumbs-forward grip uber alles.

As I'm reading it, and then googling with search terms like "pistol grip thumbs-forward" etc., it became obvious that most of the pro-thumbs-forward arguments boiled down to 3: Master Sergeant X of Delta Seals teaches it, errybuddy competing at the national level Gungames™ uses it, and forum poster Y improved his 25 yard groups from 5 inches to 2 inches.

OTOH, most of the stats seem to indicate civilian SD shootings are overwhelmingly closer than 5 yards, many (upwards of 25%?) are at roughly 5 feet based on security camera footage.

Soooo,

what stages would you design for an honestly realistic gungame or training regimen?

I'll start off with 3:

* at home on the couch, home invasion crew kicks the front door in.

* in the car, just pulled into a parking space.

* behind the counter at a Stop-N-Rob.

#2 Simon Tan

Simon Tan

• Members
  • 23,274 posts
  • Interests:tanks. More tanks. Guns. BIG GUNs!

Posted 16 June 2019 - 2008 PM

Asleep, with a loud indeterminate noise in darkened room.

#3 Wobbly Head

Wobbly Head

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,041 posts

Posted 17 June 2019 - 1023 AM

Asleep, with a loud indeterminate noise in darkened room.

Does that scenario come with optional cat and annoyed wife targets?

#4 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

Just Another Salisbury Tourist

• Members
  • 52,560 posts

Posted 17 June 2019 - 1113 AM

On the toilet whilst reading a copy of Playboy magazine. From my cold dead hands etc etc.

#5 Chris Werb

Chris Werb

In Zod We Trust

• Members
  • 23,892 posts
  • Interests:But it's got electrolytes! They're what plants crave!

Posted 17 June 2019 - 1502 PM

South African stage. Engage "burglar" in your shower.

#6 bojan

bojan

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11,419 posts
  • Interests:Obscure tanks and guns.
    Obscure facts about well known tanks and guns.
    Obscure historical facts.

Posted 17 June 2019 - 1557 PM

Make suppression really work, since that is 99% of the small arms fire in the military environment.

#7 Wobbly Head

Wobbly Head

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,041 posts

Posted 17 June 2019 - 1945 PM

South African stage. Engage "burglar" in your shower.

You wouldnt have a leg to stand on in that stage.

Edited by Wobbly Head, 17 June 2019 - 2122 PM.

#8 JamesR

JamesR

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 691 posts
  • Interests:Military hardware, Shooting, Reloading, Computers, Astronomy

Posted 17 June 2019 - 2227 PM

I had no idea "thumbs forward" was controversial.  What other ways is there.. tea cup?  I've always used thumbs forward...except with revolvers.. i think...   but I'm more of a bench/prone rifle guy.

Stages for an honestly realistic gun game?  Well you need many stages at the range for practice.. because that's by far the most common type of shooting you're average civilian is going to be involved in(hopefully!).  You could do a game in a game... ever seen those "you sank my battleship" targets?

Don't forget a stage where you walk into a sporting goods store and buy ammo.  Should probably add a requirement to use a real credit card in order to exit the stage.  That sets up the road rage stage during the drive home.

Then if you want to add a crafting element you could include a reloading simulator so the gamer can spend hours prepping brass... virtually!  Also include steps like sorting your bullets and trimming your meplats.  Then the player can sell their virtual ammo to other players for in game credits (although as a rule... i never shoot someone else's reloads in my guns.. but this is a game so its cool).  Then they can use the in game credits to get something other than the starter glock.. with its grip angle.... 

Sounds like fun.. I might play it but Ill need to bust our with a hoppes #9 air freshener!

Edited by JamesR, 17 June 2019 - 2229 PM.

#9 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

• Members
  • 52,560 posts

Posted 18 June 2019 - 0310 AM

Strikes me that this is the closest currently available to what Ivanhoe requested.....

#10 Ivanhoe

Ivanhoe

purposeful grimace

• Members
  • 31,832 posts
  • Interests:military technology, military history, weapon systems, management/organizational design, early American history

Posted 18 June 2019 - 0617 AM

I had no idea "thumbs forward" was controversial.  What other ways is there.. tea cup?  I've always used thumbs forward...except with revolvers.. i think...   but I'm more of a bench/prone rifle guy.

There is the old thumbs curled grip that comes from the revolver world, particularly LE. Then there is the thumbs-up approach, the thumb riding on the safety grip, etc. 

#11 shep854

shep854

• Members
  • 20,195 posts
  • Interests:Military History, Aviation

Posted 18 June 2019 - 0808 AM

There is the old thumbs curled grip that comes from the revolver world, particularly LE. Then there is the thumbs-up approach, the thumb riding on the safety grip, etc. 

Don't forget the old wrist grip...

#12 Wobbly Head

Wobbly Head

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,041 posts

Posted 18 June 2019 - 0830 AM

I think the main problem with your scenarios are they are so extremely rare that the amount of continual training you would need to prepare you is almost comical so it's hard to take this seriously. It's almost like the Monty Python attacking with a banana sketch.

#13 Simon Tan

Simon Tan

• Members
  • 23,274 posts
  • Interests:tanks. More tanks. Guns. BIG GUNs!

Posted 18 June 2019 - 2043 PM

Yep. Much better to just post on Tanknet!

#14 Panzermann

Panzermann

REFORGER '79

• Members
  • 16,012 posts

Posted 19 June 2019 - 1013 AM

Yep. Much better to just post on Tanknet!

hehe

Okay to take it more seriously. To make a home defense like situation  I would build up a shoothouse. put a sleeping room with a bed in it. The competitor starts in the bed and has to retrieve his firearm from the bedstand or similar storage for a home defense firearm. then has to clear the "house" and find and neutralize the randomly placed target and with a few noshoots placed around the house.

Another scenario would be starting in the kitchen and when the beep goes opff the competitor has to go and retrieve his firearm from its storage. Or you could start with a concealed carry. then like the other scenario. Yeah, souinds boring at the moment. Maybe randomly put up two targets insted of one, so you have to clear all rooms.

Hmmmm needs more thinking I guess. What do typical home defense cases look like?

#15 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

• Members
  • 52,560 posts

Posted 19 June 2019 - 1044 AM

Sandworms. Lots of Sandworm's.

#16 Ivanhoe

Ivanhoe

purposeful grimace

• Members
  • 31,832 posts

Posted 19 June 2019 - 1956 PM

Okay to take it more seriously. To make a home defense like situation  I would build up a shoothouse. put a sleeping room with a bed in it. The competitor starts in the bed and has to retrieve his firearm from the bedstand or similar storage for a home defense firearm. then has to clear the "house" and find and neutralize the randomly placed target and with a few noshoots placed around the house.

In the early days of IPSC, I think they used to do that sort of thing. All the way to having a teddy bear prop. But it turned into the usual square range thing; two bullets on 5 targets. All about speed, no tactics.  

Another scenario would be starting in the kitchen and when the beep goes opff the competitor has to go and retrieve his firearm from its storage. Or you could start with a concealed carry. then like the other scenario. Yeah, souinds boring at the moment. Maybe randomly put up two targets insted of one, so you have to clear all rooms.

That is the thing. Home invasions usually don't offer enough time to sprint from wherever to the gun safe, much less open it, acquire firing grip, etc.  In my current place, I don't worry much about the door getting kicked in, because if they do that the walls and roof will collapse.

#17 Ivanhoe

Ivanhoe

purposeful grimace

• Members
  • 31,832 posts

Posted 19 June 2019 - 1957 PM

Sandworms. Lots of Sandworm's.

I am not worried about sandworms. The limestone here would crack their skulls ricky-tick. Plus they'd never survive the fire ants.

#18 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

• Members
  • 52,560 posts

Posted 20 June 2019 - 0945 AM

Yeah, ive had a thing about fire ants since I saw THAT episode of CSI. I guess I know what my layer in hell is going to be.

What about a gunfight in a phone booth? Make both protagonists 6 feet tall and with really long arms, and give them both .357 magnums. Who can draw first and who can get a bead? Discuss.

#19 Panzermann

Panzermann

REFORGER '79

• Members
  • 16,012 posts

Posted 20 June 2019 - 1623 PM

In the early days of IPSC, I think they used to do that sort of thing. All the way to having a teddy bear prop. But it turned into the usual square range thing; two bullets on 5 targets. All about speed, no tactics.

Sadly. Originally 3-gun comes from the three guns a cop normally has in his cruiser. His pistol or revolver, a shotgun and a rifle. Put them to use with transitions on the fly between them. Over the years since the eighties it has morphed into high speed paper punching at 5 meters. So does not really have soemthing to do real live engagemanets anymore.

That is the thing. Home invasions usually don't offer enough time to sprint from wherever to the gun safe, much less open it, acquire firing grip, etc.  In my current place, I don't worry much about the door getting kicked in, because if they do that the walls and roof will collapse.

Do you live in a carton box? :D

#20 rmgill

rmgill

Strap-hanger

• Members
  • 23,528 posts
  • Interests:WWII Armor, Ferrets, Dingos, Humbers, etc...

Posted 21 June 2019 - 0018 AM

* at home on the couch, home invasion crew kicks the front door in.

* in the car, just pulled into a parking space.

* behind the counter at a Stop-N-Rob.

° Sitting at a light in your car, dude smashes your window open and tries to get in or sticks a gun in your face to demand your car. 

° Walking down the street, guy standing in your way looking you over as you approach and asking for a light. There is another walking up behind you. If you look closely, as you walk up the one in front of you nods to the one following behind. 

° 3 dudes standing at the street corner where there's nothing to wait for. 

° Standing in line at the bank, 2 men come in and start a robbery. 

° Watching a cop struggle with a perp who starts to get the advantage over the officer. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users