4322 replies to this topic

#4281 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

Just Another Salisbury Tourist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 55,172 posts

Posted 10 October 2019 - 0625 AM

Yes, but who says they are worth any less? At least those Marines faced the judiciary, even if they were acquitted.

Edited by Stuart Galbraith, 10 October 2019 - 0630 AM.

#4282 DougRichards

DougRichards

Doug Richards

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10,221 posts

Posted 10 October 2019 - 0702 AM

Yes, but who says they are worth any less? At least those Marines faced the judiciary, even if they were acquitted.

Later they were found guilty of obstruction of justice and conduct unbecoming an officer and a gentleman for having destroyed a videotape recorded from the plane, and were dismissed from the Marine Corps

#4283 bojan

bojan

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11,757 posts

Posted 10 October 2019 - 0714 AM

And that is the point.

#4284 bojan

bojan

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11,757 posts

Posted 10 October 2019 - 0716 AM

...and were dismissed from the Marine Corps

You know, if you or I kill that many people, even if through gross negligence, I really doubt we would get off that easily.

Some pigs are more equal.

#4285 lastdingo

lastdingo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4,833 posts

Posted 10 October 2019 - 0725 AM

She could be from the alphabet soup, but most federal diplomats, clerks etc. are living in or around Washington D.C. which includes Langley, VA. So she might be a secret agent driving home from her job, she just might be just a diplomat's wife driving aroud on an errand.

I strongly doubt that she is to ever going to visit UK soil again. That she left country so quickly instead of staying as promised tells enough imho.

I doubt that she will ever visit any nation that has an extradition treaty with Britain.

Yes, it would require extraordinary stupidity to ever go to Europe again.

There's a growing list of Americans who better stay in their own country. Even GWB and Darth Cheney better stay at home, lest the ICC gets them.

#4286 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

• Members
  • 55,172 posts

Posted 10 October 2019 - 0927 AM

I dont think it matters. if she has immunity, she has immunity, no matter where she goes. Its amazing what you can get away with, if there isnt an angry black cop around anyway.

#4287 Nobu

Nobu

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,116 posts

Posted 10 October 2019 - 1353 PM

When overt means are unavailable to major powers, covert means are the alternative.

#4288 Mistral

Mistral

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,497 posts

Posted 12 October 2019 - 0935 AM

An unfortunate automobile accident would solve the issue.

#4289 R011

R011

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6,733 posts

Posted 12 October 2019 - 1014 AM

I dont think it matters. if she has immunity, she has immunity, no matter where she goes. Its amazing what you can get away with, if there isnt an angry black cop around anyway.

IF she has immunity. If she goes to any country with an extrdition treaty with the UK without being specifically acredited there, say a vacation to Canada or Barbados, she can be busted. I do not see any Western country accepting her as a new diplomat either.

#4290 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

• Members
  • 55,172 posts

Posted 12 October 2019 - 1124 AM

Well it comes down to her husband. I guess if he has to take his wife along its going to put a severe crimp on his career. Shame.

#4291 rmgill

rmgill

Strap-hanger

• Members
  • 24,177 posts

Posted 15 October 2019 - 0830 AM

What is this? Make UK Great Again? A Space program and Brexit by 10/31? 

#4292 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

• Members
  • 55,172 posts

Posted 15 October 2019 - 0840 AM

And keeping defence spending at a lowly 2 percent.

Besides, we had a space program, and the Tories flogged to the French who renamed it Ariane. Their promises of intergalactic greatness dont have much to commend them.

https://en.wikipedia...treak_(missile)

#4293 BansheeOne

BansheeOne

Bullshit filter overload, venting into civility charger

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14,410 posts

Posted 15 October 2019 - 0930 AM

Nope, Blue Streak was the first stage of the Europa rocket jointly developed under ELDO and first launched in 1964, but the UK reduced commitment to the organization from 1966 to focus on the all-domestic Black Arrow satellite launcher. Which had four flights between 1969 and 1971, then was cancelled because it was thought cheaper to use American Scout rockets (allegedly there had also been a NASA offer to launch British payloads for free, which was promptly revoked after Black Arrow was scrapped).

The Europa project was also cancelled after a last flight the same year as Black Arrow, and ELDO reformed into ESA to build Ariane in 1975. The latter was based on the French ELDO-B/Europa 3 concept of 1965/66 for a more capable launcher (more powerful first stage than the kerosene-fueled Blue Streak), built with multinational workshare in all stages and overall integration by France rather than everybody building his own stage (which had been blamed for Europa's frequent failure), and first launched in 1979.

Edited by BansheeOne, 15 October 2019 - 0950 AM.

#4294 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

• Members
  • 55,172 posts

Posted 15 October 2019 - 1001 AM

If you look at the link, ELDO was based on some of the technology that Blue streak , developed. This claim was made by one of the engineers who worked on Black Prince, and put Britains first satellite, Prospero, into Orbit. We basically sold our way out of it as a way of financing money to complete concorde. Apparently the British Government saw no commerical future for satellites. Quite funny looking back on it.

#4295 BansheeOne

BansheeOne

Bullshit filter overload, venting into civility charger

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14,410 posts

Posted 15 October 2019 - 1105 AM

Actually the link doesn't say that, just that Blue Streak was the first stage of Europa under ELDO.

Blue Streak was a kerosene-LOX stage with 1,670 kN of thrust, the Rolls-Royce RZ engines being developed from the American Rocketdyne S-3D used in Jupiter and Thor; they were apparently the first that could be vectored in flight.

Ariane 1's first stage was UDMH/N2O4 (hypergolic reaction) with 2,770 kN, the same technology as in the French Diamant developed from 1962 and first flown in 1965; itself derived from a line of experimental rockets like the Veronique, developed since 1950 from the V-2 like so many others, first flown in 1954.

I'm sure both shared some technology, like engine vectoring which had of course become common by the 1970s. But if I had a cent for every engineer claiming our technology would have become the most successful ever but was prevented, then copied by power X, I probably could quit working.

Edited by BansheeOne, 15 October 2019 - 1107 AM.

#4296 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

• Members
  • 55,172 posts

Posted 15 October 2019 - 1216 PM

Nevermind.

Edited by Stuart Galbraith, 15 October 2019 - 1247 PM.

#4297 Chris Werb

Chris Werb

In Zod We Trust

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10,984 posts

Posted 15 October 2019 - 1541 PM

What is this? Make UK Great Again? A Space program and Brexit by 10/31? 

If the space programme involved putting Boris and his pals into space - preferably through an air lock - I'd be all for it.

#4298 Ssnake

Ssnake

Virtual Shiva Beast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6,780 posts

Posted 15 October 2019 - 1831 PM

"Allow me, Mr. Drax - take a giant leap for mankind."

#4299 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

• Members
  • 55,172 posts

Posted 16 October 2019 - 0142 AM

I believe Bojo has this in mind as the future of his Premiership.

Mekon-Poster.jpg

#4300 Mikel2

Mikel2

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6,541 posts

Posted 17 October 2019 - 1829 PM

I wonder how these explosives have aged...

https://en.wikipedia...hard_Montgomery