85 replies to this topic

#21 Murph

Murph

Hierophant Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,050 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 1828 PM

Samsung 5 is ready to make an apperance and it looks decent, although my HTC One is great. I am thinking of a Nexus 5 for Victoria.

#22 Murph

Murph

Hierophant Lord

• Members
  • 19,050 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 0656 AM

Well, Victoria told me that she does not want an Android phone because they "look weird", and she is more comfortable with Apple's iOS.  So in May, it looks like an iPhone for her as well. 

#23 Ivanhoe

Ivanhoe

purposeful grimace

• Members
  • 32,216 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 1036 AM

Have you worked the numbers out? I always assume that going the Apple route is going to be more expensive, but the iPhone is now so critical to Apple's financials I am wondering if/when Apple will lower the price to go after market share rather than max revenue.

#24 Murph

Murph

Hierophant Lord

• Members
  • 19,050 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 1927 PM

Never. Apple is never for the hoi polloi.

Have you worked the numbers out? I always assume that going the Apple route is going to be more expensive, but the iPhone is now so critical to Apple's financials I am wondering if/when Apple will lower the price to go after market share rather than max revenue.

#25 Colin

Colin

• Members
  • 16,974 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 1932 PM

My work just gave me a Blackberry 5, kind of annoying piece of kit and not made for fat hands

#26 Murph

Murph

Hierophant Lord

• Members
  • 19,050 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 0647 AM

I had two Blackberry 9700's and both died within six months, even in an Otterbox case.  I switched to Android after that.

#27 sunday

sunday

Bronze-age right-wing delusional retard

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12,026 posts

Posted 26 March 2014 - 0941 AM

My two last Nokias are AFV-proof without protective case.

Not that I'm going to let even a Wiesel go over my phone, of course.

#28 Murph

Murph

Hierophant Lord

• Members
  • 19,050 posts

Posted 28 March 2014 - 0908 AM

I see so many kids with cellphones that have cracked screens.  Why did their parents not buy them an Otterbox or Lifeproof case for their phones?  Other than Victoria's slider phone, all our phones are either in Otterboxes or Lifeproof cases.  When Victoria gets the iPhone in May, she is getting a Lifeproof case. 

#29 Murph

Murph

Hierophant Lord

• Members
  • 19,050 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 0642 AM

Look and feel.  For me, in a cell phone is pretty important.  The HTC phones have a great look and feel, menus are close and accessable.  A buddy has a Samsung Galaxy Note 3, and it takes 2-3 extra steps to find things in the menus.  HTC, for me, feels closer to "stock" android.  As much crap as I give Apple for iOS, it has a similar look and feel to my HTC.  Victoria is finally getting her smartphone this friday, an iPhone 5s. 

#30 shep854

shep854

• Members
  • 20,481 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 1057 AM

My first smartphone was an iPhone 3GS, but after it was stolen I used a cheap Droid phone.  A few weeks ago, I joyfully upgraded to an i4.  My problem now is that the 4G data sucks data like nobody's business!  In the few weeks I've had it, I've used over a gig of data.  With the 3G phones, I never used a gig a month, and that was constantly surfing (checking media at every opportunity).  With my new phone, I am switching off the cell data when I am not actually using it.

While Droid does have some tricks the iPhone lacks (a much more versatile keyboard, for one) the Apple system is much more comfortable to me--likely because that was my first smartphone, hence my initial 'imprint'.

#31 Murph

Murph

Hierophant Lord

• Members
  • 19,050 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 0636 AM

If I did not like the HTC phones so much, I would probably move to an iPhone, as much as I hate the sanctimonious Apple fanboyism from some at work.  I really got to check out the various Samsung offerings at work, since I learned a power saving trick, but the Samsung menu system in their UI really is horrid.  It takes FAR to long to get anywhere.

#32 shep854

shep854

• Members
  • 20,481 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 1839 PM

I see so many kids with cellphones that have cracked screens.  Why did their parents not buy them an Otterbox or Lifeproof case for their phones?  Other than Victoria's slider phone, all our phones are either in Otterboxes or Lifeproof cases.  When Victoria gets the iPhone in May, she is getting a Lifeproof case. 

It seems a lot of people carry their phones in their hip pockets...

Edited by shep854, 07 May 2014 - 1840 PM.

#33 Corinthian

Corinthian

Stone Age Bitter Delusional Retard

• Members
  • 21,351 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 0736 AM

It seems a lot of people carry their phones in their hip pockets...

In a recent photo/vid shoot of a bike race, I stupidly placed my smartphone on my knee pocket while I was shooting from prone position, lying over some rocks. Did some crawling, too.

It was only when I was about to check my phone for messages that I saw the screen was cracked.

Having it fixed is gonna take a month and will cost almost the same as the phone itself (at current prices).

Hoping to get mine next week. And I won't be putting it in my knee pocket next time I'm shooting another race hehehehe

So I'm getting a Lenovo P780 because of its battery life (the cracked smartphone had a dismal battery life), which is pretty much what I need as I go to the field.

Edited by TomasCTT, 08 May 2014 - 0736 AM.

#34 shep854

shep854

• Members
  • 20,481 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 0801 AM

The 4G seems to be bleeding me white with data charges.  In the few weeks since I got my i4, I've gone through over 1meg of data.  My plan provides 1meg, which I have never exceeded previously with 3G.  To minimize data useage, I am switching off the 'cellular data' feature and basically turned off many apps.  

Given that I'm charged $20 for every extra 500gb, applied automatically, I'm a tad annoyed.

#35 bojan

bojan

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11,765 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 0806 AM

Phone in pocket = screen toward you.

#36 Murph

Murph

Hierophant Lord

• Members
  • 19,050 posts

Posted 19 September 2014 - 1329 PM

Who is standing in line to get the new iPhone 6?  Any appleoids out there who had to have it on day one?  I saw them at Best Buy, and they are bigger, thinner, and certainly different than the older models. 

#37 Corinthian

Corinthian

Stone Age Bitter Delusional Retard

• Members
  • 21,351 posts

Posted 21 September 2014 - 0205 AM

So I'm getting a Lenovo P780 because of its battery life (the cracked smartphone had a dismal battery life), which is pretty much what I need as I go to the field.

I've had the P780 for some months already and it is just awesome because of the battery life. I only charge it every other day, sometimes leaving it uncharged for two days because there's still enough life in it. I usually charge it when it's at 15% left. I use it for surfing, checking email, calls and text. With my previous smartphone, I'd've required to charge it twice sometimes thrice a day. The P780 goes strong. Once went out on a bike ride with GPS and WiFi. Still ticking. Camping overnight in the field with GPS, WiFi, using the astronomy app, watching movies, playing games - around 40% life still remained after that, so didn't have to charge it anymore. As long as I don't crack the screen (hehehe) it's a keeper.

No issues as of yet. And I've dropped it several times but it's still ok. I think the gel-y aftermarket case around it helped protect the phone in those drops.

Only complaint is that it isn't an MHL-compatible device, but then I don't usually connect this to a HD TV so not really an issue (although, as with some features, it'd be nice to have). Also, not waterproof/resistant unlike the new Samsung flagship or the Sony Xperia models which seem to be a basic feature.

I've noticed Lenovo has given a big consideration WRT battery life for some of its phones, some having 3000mHA, and others 4000mHA (like the 780). Being a dual SIM is a plus too. All in all, it's perfect for me and am very happy about it.

Now if they can only produce a waterproof version.... ^_^

#38 Rickard N

Rickard N

Swedish ilk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,354 posts

Posted 21 September 2014 - 0927 AM

I've got a Nokia 1020 which is a nice phone imho, replaced a Nokia 800 which was a better sized phone, again imho. I haven't had any real issues with Windows and am not that much of an app freak so it doesn't bother me that much. Sometimes it's a bit annoying that apps are only available for android/iphone though.

/R

#39 Harold Jones

Harold Jones

Shaken but not deterred...

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4,408 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 1918 PM

I now carry a Nokia windows phone for work and a galaxy s5 for my personal phone. The s5 has a good camera and a decent display, but the Nokia has a better form factor.

#40 Mike Steele

Mike Steele

Boobies!

• Members
  • 15,746 posts

Posted 25 September 2014 - 1034 AM

BB now, BB then, BB forever!