671 replies to this topic

#661 KV7

KV7

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,939 posts

Posted 07 August 2019 - 0621 AM

Yes by 'BMPT like thing' I just mean 'vehicle with well armored hull and low profile turret, armed with some cannon/AGL/missile mix'.

#662 KV7

KV7

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,939 posts

Posted 07 August 2019 - 0628 AM

One other option is a small oscillating turret mounted on a tall pedestal, so that it can expose only the turret and fire from defilade. This also means that the turret and hull cannot be targeted simultaneously by firing at the turret ring. At the same time excellent depression is possible for firing down mountains etc.

#663 Stefan Kotsch

Stefan Kotsch

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 853 posts
  • Interests:Tanks - fire control, guns, ammo, autoloader

Posted 07 August 2019 - 0841 AM

But probably the cost is unacceptably high. Because of the forces during a shot and other things. The the loading process. And... oh oh.

#664 KV7

KV7

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,939 posts

Posted 07 August 2019 - 1703 PM

I mean an oscillating turret with ammunition in the bustle, so there is no need to even rotate the rounds at all.

Another advantage is that the turret bottom face can be sloped downwards @ 80 deg or so enabling deflection of long rods,  without also creating a shot trap.

#665 Colin

Colin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,888 posts
  • Interests:tanks, old and new AFV's, Landrovers, diving, hovercrafts

Posted 07 August 2019 - 1715 PM

Also for overseas deployment and export market I suspect. A lot of the world does not build bridges to support 50 ton vehicles, that is a major factor in mobility. If you double the number of bridges you can cross without engineering support, then you saved a major logistical burden.

To quote myself above:

'If for some reason you need it under 40 T (weak bridges ?) then it is probbaly better to ditch the turret and do a BMPT style thing with an unmanned turret and at least get the hull armor up to scratch.'

Unmanned turrets suffer from visibility issues, that could be offset with camera and other high tech stuff, but maintaining such may not be worth it and for the export market, such high tech may not sell well. Hell one of the SE Asian countries just gave up their T34/85's. This thing would still be light years ahead of that. In Canada even our fancy new TAPV, the electronics are not that reliable and spare parts were not bought in correct quantity for the actually failure rate and no budget yet to buy more spares.   

#666 KV7

KV7

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,939 posts

Posted 07 August 2019 - 1811 PM

Something like this (thought the scale is way off).

Q8rjgqQ.jpg

Edited by KV7, 08 August 2019 - 0503 AM.

#667 Stefan Kotsch

Stefan Kotsch

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 853 posts

Posted 08 August 2019 - 0315 AM

Something like that I think is unrealizable. Technologically unmanageable. Too many compromises on other requirements.

Alone, the leverage for shooting is huge. There goes steel for stability away, which is needed in the armor. As a lightly protected defense tank, without ability to prevail in the attack, then that goes past the needs.

#668 KV7

KV7

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,939 posts

Posted 08 August 2019 - 0616 AM

Something like that I think is unrealizable. Technologically unmanageable. Too many compromises on other requirements.

Alone, the leverage for shooting is huge. There goes steel for stability away, which is needed in the armor. As a lightly protected defense tank, without ability to prevail in the attack, then that goes past the needs.

The height of the gun here is not much higher than on many SPAAG using the same armament. Anyway it is a quick and fanciful sketch.

Edited by KV7, 08 August 2019 - 0617 AM.

#669 Stefan Kotsch

Stefan Kotsch

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 853 posts

Posted 08 August 2019 - 0929 AM

Ah, sorry, I overlooked that. It should be a 35 mm gun. Of course, other, smaller forces work.

(but, the concept is still not to my liking)

#670 Colin

Colin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,888 posts
  • Interests:tanks, old and new AFV's, Landrovers, diving, hovercrafts

Posted 08 August 2019 - 0956 AM

The height of the gun here is not much higher than on many SPAAG using the same armament. Anyway it is a quick and fanciful sketch.

The Japanese did something similar postwar with twin 106mm RRs f336ec9355ea87f05b794d5f3e4ccdd4.jpg

#671 KV7

KV7

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,939 posts

Posted 10 August 2019 - 2240 PM

Ah, sorry, I overlooked that. It should be a 35 mm gun. Of course, other, smaller forces work.

(but, the concept is still not to my liking)

What is your objection then ? I think something like the above is the only way to get a medium mass and survivable platform, which can successfully fight well equipped infantry (with ATGM and other anti-tank weapons) and tanks (when fighting enemy tanks, only the turret andperhaps lower hull will be vulnerable from the front, and it is hard to hit). A limited quantity of ATGM is not ideal, but a 105mm gun is not necessarily better.

#672 Jim Warford

Jim Warford

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4,252 posts

Posted 10 August 2019 - 2347 PM

Type 15 light tank.

type151.jpg

Three more images in the spoiler

Spoiler

Type 15 (VT-5) auto-loader...