DougRichards

Doug Richards

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10,433 posts

Posted 23 November 2019 - 0147 AM

Unfortunately it happens:

https://www.news.com...feaef916fca906f

Now a magistrate here is not a rich and powerful person, but somehow this old bugger thought that he as a 68 year old man had some sort of future with a 23 year old woman (perhaps she should be considered as an over aged teenager seeking a father figure).  Two foolish people unfortunately.  When it hit the news here she was 'accidentally' killed by a car in a traffic incident (I would assume a really unfortunate suicide by car).   Two lonely people both seeking something that would never be healthy for either of them.  Note: I said healthy, not 'good' or 'bad'.  Some text of the media articles follow.

Tributes have poured in for a “beautiful” young court clerk whose engagement to a Victorian magistrate 45 years her senior sparked headlines and calls for an inquiry by the integrity watchdog.

Ashleigh Petrie, 23, was hit and killed by a car at 1am on Monday in Metung in the East Gippsland region of country Victoria.

Earlier this month Ms Petrie shared the happy news of her engagement to Rodney Higgins, 68, after he popped the question during a holiday to Fiji.

==============

The 23-year-old court clerk engaged to a magistrate more than 40 years her senior previously dated his middle-aged neighbour, it has emerged.

Ashleigh Petrie’s relationship with 68-year-old Rodney Higgins, a grandfather of eight, came to light after she posted loved up pictures of the couple’s engagement on social media.

But before the whirlwind romance — which culminated with a romantic proposal during a Fiji getaway — Ms Petrie was in a relationship with another older man.

Previously she dated businessman Stuart Gowty, 48 and lived with him in Shepparton, north Victoria, Daily Mail Australia reports, posting on social media that she had found the love of life despite a 25-year age gap.

Ms Petrie and Mr Gowty lived next door to her now fiance Magistrate Higgins and his partner of 18 years, who has not been named.

Ms Petrie, who works as clerk in the same court as her fiance, was once very smitten with Mr Gowty, posting countless photos of the pair on her Instagram account often using the hashtag #loveofmylife.

He first appeared on her Instagram feed back in June 2016 after surprising her with a lavish gift, 24 red roses and a Tiffany & Co ring. She captioned the photograph #promisering.

Mr Gowty — who owns a picture framing business — regularly featured in the years afterwards captioned variously “love of my life”, “my amazing man” and “baby”.

In one photo taken at a Western Bulldogs AFL game, the pair took a selfie as they were about to share a kiss. In another they stand pressed together smiling after spending the day at the Shepparton Showgrounds.

By April 20, she was posting photos of her now fiance, Mr Higgins, taken on a trip to the beach.

“Romantic day out with my man,” it read, along with a love heart emoji.

By June, she described posts with Mr Higgins as the “love of my life”.

Her latest relationship sparked a comment from an eagle-eyed friend that read: “Jesus. You are a serial old man dater”.

Mr Higgins was a local lawyer when the two began their relationship but has since been appointed to the bench and has been working as a magistrate in Gippsland Victoria.

Mr Higgins and Ms Petrie now live together in Mirboo North, four hours from Shepparton.

They have enjoyed frequent romantic holidays prior to the Fiji getaway, including a trip to Bali in June when they stayed at the Hyatt Regency and enjoyed poolside cocktails and dinners at the Kayumanis Seaside Sanur.

Last month the pair jetted off to Fiji where Mr Higgins popped the question during a luxury jaunt at the five-star Warwick resort.

“It started with a crush and now I have a ring on my finger. The love of my life asked me to marry him and I said YESSSS,” Ms Petrie wrote on her public Facebook account.

In a separate post she described the “amazing” 10-day holiday, and her excitement at arriving as “Rod’s” girlfriend and leaving as his fiancee.

“I cannot wait to become Mrs Higgins!” she posted at the end of their holiday, along with multiple loved-up snaps of their time away.

“We are actually the funniest couple in the world! We spend all day everyday laughing and being silly, having fun! I don’t know how I got so lucky to find such a sweet and caring man with the same sense of humour, this amazing man is the love of my life!”

Friends and family congratulated the couple online, declaring the ring and their relationship “stunning”.

Edited by DougRichards, 23 November 2019 - 0149 AM.

#22 Murph

Murph

Hierophant Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,576 posts

Posted 23 November 2019 - 1017 AM

Her Majesty is NOT amused:  https://nypost.com/2...pstein-scandal/

#23 Nobu

Nobu

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,681 posts

Posted 23 November 2019 - 1026 AM

If she is serious, she will revoke his allowance and residential privileges to his Swiss chalet as well.

#24 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

Just Another Salisbury Tourist

• Members
  • 56,881 posts

Posted 24 November 2019 - 0343 AM

There is a lot of stories circling around at the moment, from Prince William saying he is not a huge fan of his uncle Andrew, Andrew conned the Queen into allowing him to give the interview, Prince Charles saying he wants him permanently retired (I do hope that is in the duty sense, and not the Harvey Keitel sense). The truth is the British tabloids are not really a great place to get accurate information, and most of this comes from divining rods, guru's and bullshit artists. Ive really no idea if he has been kicked out of Buckingham palace or not, but nothing would surprise me at the moment.

All that said, there was a fairly thoughtful article Ive just found in the telegraph, where they illustrate just how much the Royal Family has changed. For all its flaws, its probably about the only modernizing organization in Britain right now.

https://www.telegrap...ys-come-family/

'But for a Prince of the Blood to be sacked – as the Duke effectively was on Wednesday – changes things. It is now clear that the monarchy’s adaptation to the modern world, means that participating membership is not necessarily for life, and can be terminated in order to protect public affection for the Throne. And the Palace will be ruthless to keep threats at bay.'

And they are right at that. its never happened before. I can think of Princes that have been executed or killed on the field of battle, but not stripped of their duties. Even the Duke of Windsor was kept vaguely busy in WW2 (probably to keep him out of German hands, admittedly). Its also worth reflecting on the transgressions of the Duke of Kent, before he unfortunately (or perhaps for the future of the Royal Family, fortunately) wrapped himself around a Scottish hillside in a Sunderland flying boat.

https://www.express....ented-lovechild

So this is new, and as far as im concerned, entirely welcome. Its deeply strange that the Royal Family is about the only British institution that seems capable of embracing the 21st Century.

#25 DougRichards

DougRichards

Doug Richards

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10,433 posts

Posted 24 November 2019 - 0402 AM

Edward II comes to mind.  Maybe not in the literal sense, but perhaps in the sense adapted from 'Hotel New Hampshire',

#26 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

• Members
  • 56,881 posts

Posted 24 November 2019 - 0423 AM

And Richard II. He was starved to death to not leave any marks.

But the point is, in both cases, they were both alleged to have died of illness. The Edward II poker story was probably a myth that it wouldnt surprise me the Berkleys put around to make themselves sound baddass (literally). Nobody could be said to have laid hands on a Royal Person, even one whom had abdicated. The only time that happened was Charles I, which as many people said would probably have been better to have 'died in prison'. Judging by what happened to many of the people that signed the death warrant, they were probably right.

The point remains, other than a few kings, minor Royals are generally not removed, not since the war of the roses anyway. Ok, so you have Clarance that was executed by being drowned in Malmesy wine (reputedly). And you had the death in battle of the brother of King Harold. King John had Prince Arthur murdered. Richard the Third killed Edward V (not yet crowned) and his brother, allegedly. Off the top of my head, I struggle to think of others. Certainly none since the Georgians.

The question arises, did he resign his duties, as they have implied, or told to step down from duties and keep out the way. I know what I personally think.

We shouldnt get carried away, he IS still a member of the Royal Family. OTOH, without Royal Duties, he is pretty much a nobody at last.

#27 DB

DB

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11,517 posts

Posted 24 November 2019 - 0623 AM

"Stepping back from public life" is the modern equivalent of being walled up in the attic.

He wasn't known as "Randy Andy" for no reason.

Did he know that the girls at Epstein's parties were under age? Probably not. But did he ever wonder whether it was better to not find out?

#28 BansheeOne

BansheeOne

Bullshit filter overload, venting into civility charger

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14,857 posts

Posted 24 November 2019 - 0638 AM

I thought that Edward was the gay (what a misuse of what was once a great anglo word for 'happy'!!!) one.

Are we sure it's not Charles?

1574491940-prince-charles-maori-960x540.

#29 DB

DB

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11,517 posts

Posted 24 November 2019 - 0722 AM

No, we're not sure it's not Charles.

Given the leaked communications with his current wife, he clearly has some not-usual thoughts about sex.

#30 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

• Members
  • 56,881 posts

Posted 25 November 2019 - 0329 AM

Andrew accused of groping a womans breast with a spitting image puppet of himself.

https://www.dailymai...estify-FBI.html

I have to admit, I struggle to think how anyone could make something like that up.

#31 Rick

Rick

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4,515 posts

Posted 25 November 2019 - 0407 AM

Why do I have this  feeling that it is not the success of the Royal family, only how far they can fall in the eyes of the ugly public which follow such trashy news media.

#32 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

• Members
  • 56,881 posts

Posted 25 November 2019 - 0442 AM

Well the Royal family is a curious thing. Its never been massively loved in the UK. Its been liked, admired, tolerated, despised going in a cycle all the way back to the Georgians. But loved, I dont think we British really love the Royal Family and never did. We never get really emotional about long extant institutions till the disappear, then we endlessly mope about the loss of them.

So we shouldn't get carried away, Andrew was never massively liked. Admired for his Falklands service, yes, but he was always thought of as a bit of an arrogant twat for years, and has never really been center stage. I think at this point the damage to the Royal Family will be minimal, as long as they are not proven to have covered anything up. Which does not seem to have been the case happily.

The real damage that will come will be British business. Andrew for all his flaws DOES seem to have done some good at that, and we clearly need a major spokesman to take over to help us post Brexit. Hopefully William or even Edward will get a shot at that.

#33 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

• Members
  • 56,881 posts

Posted 25 November 2019 - 0958 AM

https://www.telegrap...ngoing-epstein/

The Prince of Wales will this week demand what is likely to be a heated showdown with his younger brother, over the continued fallout from the disastrous Newsnight interview.

The Prince, who returns from a 12-day tour to India, New Zealand and the Solomon Islands on Tuesday ), is expected to order the Duke of York to Clarence House to discuss the ongoing furore.

Sources have claimed the Prince of Wales is furious that his important visit to the South Pacific - which had been intended to highlight a number of environmental issues such as climate change and rising ocean levels - has been completely overshadowed by the row over the Duke's relationship with the paedophile, Jeffrey Epstein.

So far the Prince of Wales has not commented on the issue and his staff have remained tight lipped throughout the tour.

But it is understood the Prince is determined to get a grip on the situation once he is back in Britain and ensure there is no further collateral damage to the Royal Family, even if that means removing his brother from the inner circle.

The Duke has already announced his intention to step back from public duties for the foreseeable future.

But with the American investigation into Epstein’s associates gathering pace, and calls for the Duke to be interviewed by the FBI growing, the scandal shows no sign of abating.

There is likely to be further pressure next week when the BBC broadcasts a fresh interview with the Duke’s accuser, Virginia Roberts-Giuffre, who claims she was coerced into having sex with him after being flown to the UK by Epstein in 2001. The Duke has vehemently denied her claims.

Better get that Malmsey wine ready Charles....

#34 DB

DB

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11,517 posts

Posted 25 November 2019 - 1459 PM

Speculation and bullshit are rife.

"Sources say" = made up shit after too much prosecco.

#35 R011

R011

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6,952 posts

Posted 25 November 2019 - 1506 PM

I suspect the Prince of Wales does not have the authority to "order" his brother to attend him. Sone journalists forget it isn't the 1400s when writing about royalty.

#36 DB

DB

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11,517 posts

Posted 25 November 2019 - 1907 PM

The queen pretty much does, though. His last interview with her was almost certainly standing without tea and biscuits. Thus, withdrawal from public duties.

#37 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

• Members
  • 56,881 posts

Posted 26 November 2019 - 0220 AM

Im disappointed Malmsey wine has not yet made an appearance though. Tradition and all that....

Claim here that the FBI want to interview Prince Andrew. Which considering the FBI is the ultimate of all leaky ships, im tempted to give more credence to.

https://www.cbsnews....-interview-him/

There was a significantly less plausible claim the FBI were going to raid Buckingham palace, which, personally, Id pay good money to watch them try to get past the Guards. :D

https://www.gossipco...-bbc-interview/

#38 Murph

Murph

Hierophant Lord

• Members
  • 19,576 posts

Posted 26 November 2019 - 1350 PM

How is Charles going to deal with this?  He is not king yet.

#39 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

• Members
  • 56,881 posts

Posted 27 November 2019 - 0243 AM

He will defer to mummy. Lets be fair though and say, the Queen doesnt have that many more miles on her sadly. You can expect Andrew to get the equivalent of a Governorship of the Bahama's from that point on.

#40 DougRichards

DougRichards

Doug Richards

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10,433 posts

Posted 27 November 2019 - 0421 AM

He will defer to mummy. Lets be fair though and say, the Queen doesnt have that many more miles on her sadly. You can expect Andrew to get the equivalent of a Governorship of the Bahama's from that point on.

Not the Bahamas, there are too many good looking women there.

How about the Falklands?  He has been there before and the cooler temperatures may cool the blood?