63 replies to this topic

#1 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

Of the Veronica Cartwright Ilk

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 46,027 posts

Posted 30 May 2017 - 1252 PM

This is a new sim being made by the makers of Atlantic fleet. Basically its set in 2 periods, 1986 and 1968, and simulates the war at sea in the North Atlantic. As you can see from the video, its strongly inspired by the old 'Red Storm Rising' submarine simulation from Microprose, itself made in the 1980's.

Anyway, enough of that, here is the video.

#2 Harold Jones

Harold Jones

Shaken but not deterred...

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8,445 posts
  • Interests:Armor, History, Fishing and Beer

Posted 30 May 2017 - 1549 PM

Looks intriguing, I'm about done with WoWs and I played the hell out of Red Storm Rising.  Although I didn't like Atlantic Fleet at all so I'll wait for some post launch reviews before I actually buy it.

#3 Skywalkre

Skywalkre

Garry F!@#$%g Owen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8,291 posts
  • Interests:military history, psychology, gaming (computer, board, simulation, console), sci-fi

Posted 30 May 2017 - 1733 PM

What was the issue with Atlantic Fleet again?  Was it just really repetitive after a while?  I saw a replay commentary that Jingles put out and it seemed cool at first (was the Bismark scenario) but it was pretty apparent that there wasn't a lot going on even though it took like 30 minutes to play (fire, make adjustments, keep firing, pray for RNG, and maybe make some course corrections once in a while).

#4 Harold Jones

Harold Jones

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8,445 posts

Posted 30 May 2017 - 2102 PM

What was the issue with Atlantic Fleet again?....it was pretty apparent that there wasn't a lot going on even though it took like 30 minutes to play (fire, make adjustments, keep firing, pray for RNG, and maybe make some course corrections once in a while).

That was it.

#5 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

• Members
  • 46,027 posts

Posted 31 May 2017 - 0221 AM

I damn near wore the cassette tape out for Red Storm Rising. In actual fact ive a memory of having to splice the damn thing back together to get it to work again. :D

Dangerous Waters was in many ways a far more technically accurate sim. But my goodness was it unfun to play.

#6 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

• Members
  • 46,027 posts

Posted 02 June 2017 - 0643 AM

Might be released as early as this weekend, so keep your eyes open.

#7 Gregory

Gregory

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8,399 posts

Posted 02 June 2017 - 0959 AM

Visuals are quite sub-par for a 2017 title.

#8 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

• Members
  • 46,027 posts

Posted 02 June 2017 - 1010 AM

I didnt think it was that bad. I think the graphics engine was developed from the one from SH3. But playing the original RSR, its worth remembering there was no visuals at all. What made it playable with the challenge of the tactical battle of taking an SSN up against most of the Soviet navy.

Apparently if this sells well, they are talking about adding a Soviet and a Royal Navy Campaign DLC. I bags Warspite. :)

#9 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

• Members
  • 46,027 posts

Posted 02 June 2017 - 1017 AM

Turns out its probably been delayed a few days, presumably due to a Steam backlog. OTOH, at least they released the manual first.

http://cdn.akamai.st...df?t=1496371433

#10 Der Zeitgeist

Der Zeitgeist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,013 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 1405 PM

It's out, got it, and just sunk my first November.  :)

It really is very much like the old game Red Storm Rising. Dynamic campaign with strategic map, and tactical encounters when you make contact.

It's just the right balance of detail in sensor and weapons modeling but not getting into too deep systems "switchology" to prevent the player from having fun.

That was the problem I had with the older Sonalysts sims (688i etc.), where I enjoyed learning to use the passive sonar and plotting contacts with TMA, but never really managed to actually play the game underneath.

EDIT:

One thing that might be important for some people:

You can't directly set course, depth or speed in the game, you actually have to drive the sub using planes, rudders and ballast using a few keyboard commands. So there's no "periscope depth" shortcut or something. I find it actually works pretty well, and gives a more direct feeling of controlling the sub.

Edited by Der Zeitgeist, 05 June 2017 - 1416 PM.

#11 Harold Jones

Harold Jones

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8,445 posts

Posted 05 June 2017 - 1711 PM

The reviews on steam seem fairly decent, lots of complaining about have to 'drive' your sub instead of using way points and depth commands. I think I'll wait a bit though.

#12 Corinthian

Corinthian

Stone Age Bitter Delusional Retard

• Members
  • 21,153 posts
  • Interests:Wholesome stuff.

Posted 05 June 2017 - 2112 PM

Wasn't it the point that you are a CO of a sub? That you just give orders for the helmsman or whoever to set depth, course, etc? Actual driving a sub sounds more like being the helmsman than the CO....

#13 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

• Members
  • 46,027 posts

Posted 06 June 2017 - 0311 AM

The broad view on the SUBSIM forums is quite positive. There are a few niggles (such as being able to launch a Tomahawk from 400 feet down) but the overall impression seems to be quite good.

I have to admit, I would like a 'click to course' option, which im used to for silent hunter. OTOH, I can recall from the original Red Storm Rising (which they based it on) you spent a lot of time in manual contol when dodging torpedo's. Think Red October in the trench, there were plenty of last minute dodge the torpedo moments like that in the game.

The devs seem quite willing to make adjustments, so flagging up issues like this might prove worthwhile, partiuclarly if they want people to guy the DLC they have cooking. The ONLY thing I dont like about the game is that I cant buy it yet because I need to work. I know full well as soon as I pick this one up, im going to be spending most of the weekend on it. :D

I know full well, the first thing I do when get modding this game (after putting in Limey weapons like a Mk8) is cook up a nuclear tipped ASTOR or SUBROC. Looking at the modding guide an ASTOR certainly looks possible. And necessary for the 1968 campaign really.

https://en.wikipedia...Mark_45_torpedo

#14 Der Zeitgeist

Der Zeitgeist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,013 posts

Posted 06 June 2017 - 0323 AM

The AI seems pretty aggressive with active sonar, largely thwarting my efforts to make stealthy approaches so far.

Yesterday evening, I ran into a Soviet SAG in the Barents. I tried hugging the seafloor and creep into the formation, but after a few active pings I immediately had ASW helos all over me, and also took a few close hits from what I think were RBU-6000 ASW mortars. I managed to sink a Kirov cruiser, but lost my boat in the process.

Quite some fun though!  :)

#15 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

• Members
  • 46,027 posts

Posted 06 June 2017 - 0333 AM

There is a very good book by a Yugoslav, Milan Vego, on Soviet Naval Tactics, that they admit to having used heavily in referencing the Games AI. Ive used it myself setting up a scenario for CMANO and I have to admit, it really is good.

I idly wonder if they will consider adding Diesel electric boats in this one day. Ive a feeling it could be a lot of fun crewing a Norwegian boat  or a British O class submarine in shallow waters.

#16 Harold Jones

Harold Jones

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8,445 posts

Posted 06 June 2017 - 0719 AM

Wasn't it the point that you are a CO of a sub? That you just give orders for the helmsman or whoever to set depth, course, etc? Actual driving a sub sounds more like being the helmsman than the CO....

It was a design decision, the devs feel that entering headings and depths in a a box on the interface takes the player out of the game.  I suspect that given the 11+ page thread on steam about this that they will at a minimum release a periscope depth shortcut key in a near future patch.

#17 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

• Members
  • 46,027 posts

Posted 06 June 2017 - 0752 AM

There is a good thread on Subsim about the game here. Basic consensus seems to be  its the dogs jangly bits.

http://www.subsim.co...6b756c50a&f=268

#18 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

• Members
  • 46,027 posts

Posted 06 June 2017 - 0803 AM

#19 Harold Jones

Harold Jones

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8,445 posts

Posted 17 June 2017 - 1630 PM

For those who bought it.  How is the game holding up?  I understand the campaign is a string of random events with the overall course of the war influenced by your performance.  Does it get repetitive or is there enough variation to keep things interesting?

#20 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

• Members
  • 46,027 posts

Posted 18 June 2017 - 0315 AM

Its not bad. My own view is there are number of flaws in the data they used. For example, they gave most of the Soviet submarines the same capablity as US submarines, which if you want a big underwater dogfight is the way to go. Also, the torpedo's are WAY too effective.

Its incredibly easy to mod. Ive already modified the sonar using CMANO data and it makes Novembers deaf as a post and much easier to stalk (whch as they can outrun Mk37s is no bad thing). And it creates just a little more balance.

Basically its fun. Its not flawless, but its fun when modded. And if nothing else the creators are very quick to modify the game, they are already on the second patch and there are distinct improvements.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users