4172 replies to this topic

#4161 bojan

bojan

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11,697 posts

Posted 13 October 2019 - 1313 PM

....The Drug Store Shoe fitting machines are chief in my mind, but what else was out there? Radium Paint?

Everything! No joke, radiation was seen as a miracle cure, with "atomic baths" etc operating worldwide. And that is just a tip of it.

Recommended reading:

https://www.amazon.c...s/dp/1605986801

Edited by bojan, 13 October 2019 - 1313 PM.

#4162 Roman Alymov

Roman Alymov

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,511 posts

Posted 13 October 2019 - 1503 PM

International designers conspiracy at work

71955496_450193065605697_787364045054699

#4163 BansheeOne

BansheeOne

Bullshit filter overload, venting into civility charger

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14,296 posts

Posted 14 October 2019 - 0321 AM

I find Mast was Army, so what do you expect. :D

Or it's a comeback to all those Russian ads celebrating the troops of the Great Patriotic War (?) for which some design drones grabbed shots of US equipment from the net (buried somewhere in the "Because Russia" thread, I believe).

#4164 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

Just Another Salisbury Tourist

• Members
  • 54,707 posts

Posted 14 October 2019 - 0327 AM

Well she does look a bit like the USS Truxton, if you squint a bit...

#4165 Panzermann

Panzermann

REFORGER '79

• Members
  • 16,473 posts

Posted 14 October 2019 - 0452 AM

....The Drug Store Shoe fitting machines are chief in my mind, but what else was out there? Radium Paint?

Everything! No joke, radiation was seen as a miracle cure, with "atomic baths" etc operating worldwide. And that is just a tip of it.
Recommended reading:

Toothpaste. Radon gas inhaling and anything else you can think of got added this newfangled magical radiation.  Just like today everything gets "nano" added with unknown risks.

I find Mast was Army, so what do you expect. :D

Or it's a comeback to all those Russian ads celebrating the troops of the Great Patriotic War (?) for which some design drones grabbed shots of US equipment from the net (buried somewhere in the "Because Russia" thread, I believe).

Wasn't there also a placard celebrating victory with a Tiger? :D

but back to US of A:

A creative critique of gerrymandering:

https://uglygerry.com/

"A FONT CREATED BY YOUR CONGRESSIONAL DISTRICTS"

It actually makes for readable letters.  ^_^​ 

Edited by Panzermann, 14 October 2019 - 0456 AM.

#4166 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

Just Another Salisbury Tourist

• Members
  • 54,707 posts

Posted 14 October 2019 - 0457 AM

Recommended reading:

Toothpaste. Radon gas inhaling and anything else you can think of got added this newfangled magical radiation.  Just like today everything gets "nano" added with unknown risks.

Even music has a half life...

#4167 BansheeOne

BansheeOne

Bullshit filter overload, venting into civility charger

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14,296 posts

Posted 14 October 2019 - 0510 AM

A creative critique of gerrymandering:

https://uglygerry.com/

"A FONT CREATED BY YOUR CONGRESSIONAL DISTRICTS"

It actually makes for readable letters.  ^_^​

Certainly not worse than the writing in those "type the above to prove you're no robot" tests.

#4168 Ivanhoe

Ivanhoe

purposeful grimace

• Members
  • 32,159 posts

Posted 14 October 2019 - 2216 PM

Some crime data from LAPD;

http://assets.lapdon...eport-final.pdf

Of the 171 identified suspects, 52% were of Hispanic descent, and 40% were of Black descent. Other suspects included: White 6%, Asian 1.7%, and other descents 2%.

TOP 3 MODUS OPERANDI  FOR 2017

1.Gang                             

2.Dispute/Revenge

3.Domestic Violence

PREMISE   2017     2016

Street/Sidewalk                 58%     55%

Parking Lot   9%       6%

Single Family Dwelling   6%     11%

Multi-Unit Dwelling           5%       9%

The missing 22% is called out in a graphic as "Other Premises."

I'm quite surprised that residences only seem to add up to 11% of homicide locations in 2017. Not sure if that includes/excludes things like murder/suicides.

If you root around in the data, for LA it is pretty clear that the homicide rate of non-bangers isn't that high.

#4169 Nobu

Nobu

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,028 posts

Posted 14 October 2019 - 2327 PM

X-ray shoe fitting machines remaining in use into the 70s is eye opening.

Fake asbestos snow being used for general decorative purposes, and the history of asbestos usage in general, are as well.

#4170 rmgill

rmgill

Strap-hanger

• Members
  • 24,070 posts

Posted 15 October 2019 - 0011 AM

My Mother told me about the X-Ray Shoe fitting machines. Even with the metal cases of dubious shielding the fact that you stuck your face over the viewing slit to look at the pretty effect of x-rays striking phosphors and emitting photons (and x-rays) up through your face.... Anyhow, she recalled playing with it and sticking one's hands in the slit for your feet so you could have your sibling look at them. I'd love to see data on kids who played with those and cancer rates. 

#4171 Nobu

Nobu

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,028 posts

Posted 15 October 2019 - 0016 AM

I remember seeing one of those in a Chicago museum and being fascinated by it. A Trojan Horse brought forward into the 20th Century.

Would love to see that data as well. The key to defeating cancer is not only to study those who need treatment, but also those who do not.

#4172 Wobbly Head

Wobbly Head

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,067 posts

Posted 15 October 2019 - 0156 AM

I remember seeing one of those in a Chicago museum and being fascinated by it. A Trojan Horse brought forward into the 20th Century.

Would love to see that data as well. The key to defeating cancer is not only to study those who need treatment, but also those who do not.

Unfortunately that data is very likely going to be hard to find. Most cancer deaths were recorded as other causes. My family has a hereditary bowel cancer carried in the male gene. My uncle traced back the family tree it killed about a quarter of the male line until it became treatable. He found that very few of the death certificates actually listed cancer as the cause of death it was usually listed as always another cause which were caused by the cancer.

#4173 Nobu

Nobu

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,028 posts

Posted 15 October 2019 - 1450 PM

Part of what that may show is that society's ability to accurately record and store related data in this context is still in its infancy. Getting to the next level of that ability will be vital to the goal of killing cancer as well.