As of 1700 PST, 1152 on the US cluster
Is World Of Warplanes A Massive Failure For Wargaming?
Posted 26 February 2014 - 0621 AM
Should we just call it dead in the water already? Those numbers are down 100+ from just 2 weeks ago and when you're working with just 1100ish that doesn't leave you much time.
I understand the issues in the Ukraine are influencing development but the problems on the NA cluster were well known before all of that started happening.
I'd really love to know if they have any plans for the NA server or if they're just content with letting it die off.
Edited by Skywalkre, 26 February 2014 - 0628 AM.
Posted 26 February 2014 - 1414 PM
I suspect that absent a redisgn the game will never be very popular so they'll probably limp along with a limited staff doing bug fixes and adding new planes and such as resources allow. They probably won't make the development budget back on this one, but keeping the servers up probably doesn't cost a ton so they won't be in a rush to shut them down. Maybe they'll get around to integrating it somehow into clan wars. That probably won't make the game more fun, but it will give the big clans a reason to spend some gold and grind out some matches and thereby bump up the population a bit while they do it.
Posted 22 April 2014 - 0057 AM
Edited by JasonJ, 22 April 2014 - 0058 AM.
Posted 22 April 2014 - 0734 AM
being playing a little, the pop dropped on average it seems to 800-950 the big special on WOT did not help. I have 3 games on the go WOT, Skyrim and WOWP so I can only play a bit on each, but the first 2 get the majority of my time.
Heh, that's the same with me. I recently rediscovered Skyrim and have been splitting my time between WoT and it.
Several weeks ago when I was playing the pop seemed to have stabilized around 1200 (if anything, they seemed to have gone up slightly from previous updates on this thread). Not really surprised to see those figures have dropped, though. I stumbled across a thread on the latest patch over on the wotlabs forums and even the stalwarts who have been playing since the start have little positive to say about the game, the devs, or its hopes.
Edited by Skywalkre, 22 April 2014 - 0734 AM.
Posted 07 May 2014 - 0136 AM
So... is it really just the new US line that's bumped numbers on the NA server? When I was on this evening it was over 1400. Haven't seen numbers like that in months (though still a 30% drop from the figures at launch). While I haven't seen a lot of 38s I have seen a lot of 40s (one game recently was 1/3 40s on both teams).
Along those lines is that what keeps players in WoT? I remember hearing 50k as what the NA server maxed out as but I haven't seen over 35k in weeks (and that number seems to be dropping slowly as time goes on).
Edited by Skywalkre, 07 May 2014 - 0137 AM.
Posted 22 June 2014 - 1722 PM
So the NA server seems to have stabilized around 1100 (/sigh... yes, I had a scratch and went back again). That bubble from a few weeks ago was likely due to the free premium mission set that was out (the numbers seemed to drop right when that was over). On the positive side there now seem to be players on at every tier but if you want a full 15v15 game you still can't go above tier 5.
I'm half curious if the constant stream of new premium planes (it's close to 1 in 5 planes in WoWp are premium whereas in WoT it's got to be closer to 1 in 20) is the only way they can keep it viable. The folks who play it seem to play a lot (from looking at after battle screens of opponents).
One complaint that I still hear is no end-game. There was talk back in the day of an integrated CW system. Sadly, given the pop, I imagine CW is nonviable.
Posted 22 June 2014 - 1834 PM
I play about 5-6 games and then move on to WOT. I find the tier III-IV to suffer the most from the population drop. I rebought a Demon to fly at the Tier1-II level and actually found the games to be full which surprised me I was worried that new players would find empty games and be discouraged. what they need to offer up beginner codes where the planes in tier 1-II get extra HP to keep them from getting shot down immediately.
Posted 22 June 2014 - 1936 PM
I've heard new players get up to about tier 3-4 and that's when they jump ship. The combination of the tier difference being more painful in this game, C-6s running around tearing up the new folks, and the usual lack of any useful information passed along on how to play (the tutorials in WoWp, just like in WoT, are worthless).
Posted 29 June 2014 - 1530 PM
Is anyone even at the helm in the NA offices? There's the aforementioned issue of the mission text just being wrong that I listed in the other thread and in trying to find a dev diary I went to the main page and one of the three scrolling headlines at the top is for a mission that expired over 6 days ago.
This is real amateur level shit going on. Has WG given up on the NA server or something?
Posted 01 March 2015 - 0007 AM
FTR had a post a few days ago that in NA at least WG was apparently drastically cutting back if not stopping advertising completely for the game. Looking through some posts just now I came across this:
About the future of WoWp development with following features considered/approved:
- the game will still go on, however it will be completely salvaged and reworked
- proper 3D cockpits will be introduced
- maps might become a bit smaller and with fewer objectives (WoWs style)
- bomber overhaul and the introduction of more planes (an idea surged here from allowing a platoon of players to fly a bomber on different positions, for example one guy is the pilot, the other a bomber and the third a gunner)
- more control of your plane (ability to turn off multiple engines on/off or using your airspeed to extinguish fires (engine on fire, no extinguisher, take a dive and turn off the engine, pray for success)
- graphics correction, no more “cloud plasters” and “blue trees”
- climbing altitude no longer a “damnable task”
- more turbine-based planes in all the branching trees or move them a tier or so
- rockets, because “rockets”
- take off from a carrier as the battle starts (interesting eye candy)
- better plane handling
- at one point, the developers even discussed merging WoWp with WoWs – not wot because of the maps mechanics and stuff, but WoWs can actually pull it off (unlike WoT). It would be a huuuuuuge undertaking, so it’s just an idea.
- WG requires player feedback on how to improve WoWp as well, polls will come out, so if players start filling the suggestion box, especially on the NA/EU cluster that plays, WG will listen
To be continued…
The bolded part caught my eye. Most devs simply don't have the money to completely redo a project. Given how poorly WoWp did, though, this really is the only hope for it.
Posted 06 March 2015 - 1430 PM
This was on the blog that's replacing FTR:
- average online player numbers in WoWp from NA cluster: 650, EU: 1,000. WG expects the future updates and the changes they will bring to bring back the amount of players to at least 10,000 in order to self sustain the game
I was under the impression EU was doing pretty decent. Guess not.
It's refreshing to hear WG finally admit that WoWp was just a massive failure. I'm really skeptical, though, that they can get the playerbase up to 10k (it peaked on NA at launch with 2.2k) without starting from scratch and redoing it completely. There's just too much bad blood/animosity/negative press from all the folks who have tried it and left already.
Reply to this topic
0 user(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users