#21 DougRichards

DougRichards

Doug Richards

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10,434 posts

Posted 29 October 2009 - 0645 AM

:blink: Not even close.
Sliced beef, chipped and formed. Whats so mysterious about that?

Nothing mysterious, just not known here.

Not available at supermarkets or butchers.

#22 m1a1mg

m1a1mg

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,033 posts

Posted 29 October 2009 - 1357 PM

Rocky, you heathen. It's a dining facility. :P

#23 Michael Eastes

Michael Eastes

Trans-Dimensional Monarchist Ilk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,525 posts

Posted 29 October 2009 - 1514 PM

Some traditions are worth keeping. "Mess hall" is much more evocative.

"Dining facility" sounds like it belongs on a cruise ship, somehow...

#24 Rocky Davis

Rocky Davis

Old Broken Down Retired Tanker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,980 posts

Posted 29 October 2009 - 1519 PM

It wasn't when I first got in . . . the name (Mess Hall, Mess Section, Mess Records, Field Mess, Mess Sergant, Mess Kit, etc. then) stuck forever (with me, at least).

Then, later on, someody decided the give the order that sounded like when you do a "find and replace" action with word programming . . . "find every occurrance of the word 'Mess' and replace with the word 'Food Service.'' Later came DFAC etc.

Have you ever had a piece of clothing or shoes that is hopelessly out of fashion now, but wasn't when you bought it, and somebody brought it to your attention and your response was "Well, fashion, like most things, has a circular pattern. I'm just hanging onto my leisure suit and white loafers until they come back into fashion again."? Well, I'll continue to use the word "Mess" until the use of that word comes into vogue again (in my lifetime, I hope!). :P

Edited by Rocky Davis, 29 October 2009 - 1833 PM.

#25 shep854

shep854

• Members
  • 20,572 posts

Posted 29 October 2009 - 1805 PM

But that sounds so, so Air Force! :P

#26 Rocky Davis

Rocky Davis

• Members
  • 22,980 posts

Posted 29 October 2009 - 1845 PM

Here's the true test:

Forget Mess Hall vs. Dining Facility etc.

What do you call that officer at Bn. or that E-8 at Bn. level or the SFC at Company level that fixes things the rest of us break?

Do you call the Company level NCO the "Company Maintenance NCO" or do you call him the "Company Motor SGT (or Motor Daddy)?

Do you call the Battalion level Senior NCO the "Battalion Maintenance NCO" or do you call him the "Battalion Motor SGT (or Motor Daddy)?

Do you call the Battalion level Officer (CPT) the "Battalion Maintenance Officer or BMO" or do you call him the "Battalion Motor Officer?

I never used the word "Maintenance" to refer to those individuals. That's because everybody taught me to call them the Motor SGT, Bn. Motor SGT and BMO (or Bn. Motor Officer). In the same way, as a Tank Company XO (for 4 years, two different units), I was Company Mess Officer - as a defined responsibility by the Company Commander in supervisory position and overall responsible for the Mess Section, Mess Operations, the Company Mess Records and I was First Line NCOER Supervisor of the Company Mess Sergeant.

Later on, as a Battalion Support Platoon Leader (one year), I was assistant to the Battalion Officer (the S-4) and was placed in supervisory position and overall responsible for the Battalion Mess Section, Mess Operations.

After that, I became the Battalion S-4 and the chain and nomenclature was virtually the same.

I've used the terms ever since. Nobody's had any heartburn over it. :P

Edited by Rocky Davis, 29 October 2009 - 1850 PM.

#27 Typhoid Maxx

Typhoid Maxx

Mr Negative

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7,163 posts

Posted 31 October 2009 - 1405 PM

And back on topic-

Rocky - Took a recipe of the net for SOS and did it with the Worcester sauce & garlic salt not five minutes ago, served on toast.

All I can say is "meep". Delicious stuff.

Tell me, can it be frozen?

#28 Harold Jones

Harold Jones

Shaken but not deterred...

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4,493 posts

Posted 31 October 2009 - 1438 PM

Yes

#29 Typhoid Maxx

Typhoid Maxx

Mr Negative

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7,163 posts

Posted 31 October 2009 - 1728 PM

Thanks. You Americans eat some pretty interesting food, from an European stand point. I've pretty much enjoyed everything I've copied of TN food threads so far.

#30 Murph

Murph

Hierophant Lord

• Members
  • 19,581 posts

Posted 31 October 2009 - 2332 PM

Swanson's frozen is acceptable, I am not claiming great, or even good, but acceptable if you cannot make your own, or bribe someone to make you some. Still one of the best food items in a Mess Hall.

Agreed, but no place around town makes it. :(

#31 Murph

Murph

Hierophant Lord

• Members
  • 19,581 posts

Posted 31 October 2009 - 2333 PM

Mike, if they leave off the eggs, I would be in heaven.

SOS is really easy to make at home. If you just don't want to cook, many restaurants do a credible job of it over biscuits.

Murph, there's a place up here named Whites, which has been open at the same location since the 30's. They make a breakfast called The Mess, which is hash browns mixed with scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage, onion and green pepper, covered with a sausage SOS style gravy. It's way too big for one normal person to eat, and costs about $8, IIRC.

There is something about the military setting for some items, though. I love a good omlette, and just about any competent eatery can turn out a decent one, but the one that sticks out in my mind was in our hospital mess hall in Germany. For the oncoming night shift, the young lady who was cooking made a ham and cheese omlette that I haven't seen the equal of anywhere. That, with hash browns, toast, and coffee, fueled many a night shift in Augsburg.

So, do people prefer their SOS with ground beef, sausage, or chipped beef? I like all three.

#32 Michael Eastes

Michael Eastes

Trans-Dimensional Monarchist Ilk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,525 posts

Posted 01 November 2009 - 0118 AM

Mike, if they leave off the eggs, I would be in heaven.

The eggs are optional.

Maxx, I have long believed that the UK is something of a wasteland where food is concerned. We of Sam have the great advantage of having the culinary styles of the whole world to have experimented on over the last 200 years or so, with many, many good outcomes.

I admit that my wife and I only had four days in London to go on, but the only really good meal that we had was at a Chinese place. I gather that many of USian ilk have had less-than-stellar experiences with British food- I almost never hear tourists raving about the gustatory delights of Great Britain, although there certainly must be some. My dad used to tell stories of being fed stewed kidneys for breakfast every morning on the British ship that took his unit over in '44. I'd prefer even poorly made SOS to stewed kidneys.

#33 shep854

shep854

• Members
  • 20,572 posts

Posted 01 November 2009 - 0728 AM

"Stewed kidneys"--Beans or organs??

#34 Mike Steele

Mike Steele

Boobies!

• Members
  • 15,746 posts

Posted 01 November 2009 - 0942 AM

The eggs are optional.

Maxx, I have long believed that the UK is something of a wasteland where food is concerned. We of Sam have the great advantage of having the culinary styles of the whole world to have experimented on over the last 200 years or so, with many, many good outcomes.

I admit that my wife and I only had four days in London to go on, but the only really good meal that we had was at a Chinese place. I gather that many of USian ilk have had less-than-stellar experiences with British food- I almost never hear tourists raving about the gustatory delights of Great Britain, although there certainly must be some. My dad used to tell stories of being fed stewed kidneys for breakfast every morning on the British ship that took his unit over in '44. I'd prefer even poorly made SOS to stewed kidneys.

Thats funny because my mom was English and she was a great cook. That might be because she managed to escape the Emerald Isle and try new things. But I didn't have stuff like steak and kidney pie. She was big on Spam though though, thought it was the pinnacle of culinary excellence. :huh:

#35 Rocky Davis

Rocky Davis

• Members
  • 22,980 posts

Posted 01 November 2009 - 1042 AM

And back on topic-

Rocky - Took a recipe of the net for SOS and did it with the Worcester sauce & garlic salt not five minutes ago, served on toast.

All I can say is "meep". Delicious stuff.

Tell me, can it be frozen?

Glad it turned out. For additional spices, make sure to add plenty of cracked black pepper and maybe a dash or two of hot Hungarian paprika.

#36 Typhoid Maxx

Typhoid Maxx

Mr Negative

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7,163 posts

Posted 01 November 2009 - 1344 PM

Glad it turned out. For additional spices, make sure to add plenty of cracked black pepper and maybe a dash or two of hot Hungarian paprika.

Check on the coarse, crushed black pepper, already in the first batch. Next batch is going to have sweet paprika in it, though wither it'll be beef or pork...

Wonder how Cayenne pepper instead of paprika might turn out...

Regardless, SOS really comes across as breakfast get-your-strength-up-for the-day type meal.

#37 Typhoid Maxx

Typhoid Maxx

Mr Negative

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7,163 posts

Posted 01 November 2009 - 1357 PM

The eggs are optional.

Hmmm...it depends. The tourist track isn't really London, and tends to be gimmicky.

London has quite sizable foreign cultural influence within it as any major western city

I could show you a few places were you'd think your mouth had died and gone to heaven. Not expensive places, either. .

But yes, the US definitively has had many, many good outcomes (from what I can see). Unfortunately the perception over here of that is negligible - America is culinary perceived by people as the nation of McDonald's (EVIL), Pizza Hut, Chicago's Deep pan, KFC...and that's about it.

#38 Guest_aevans_*

Guest_aevans_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 November 2009 - 1410 PM

Hehe. But Australia isn't so bad. In 1987 I had lunch in a food court in downtown Perth, Western Australia. I observed a white Australian man eating Chinese and an Asian lady eating roast beef, mashed potatoes, and peas.

WRT the "mess hall"/"dining facility" controversy, I prefer the Marine Corps term: "chow hall". And they still call it the "mess deck" on navy ships.

#39 Geoff Winnington-Ball

Geoff Winnington-Ball

OC MLU, aka 'Jif'

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,898 posts

Posted 01 November 2009 - 1606 PM

Praytell. do pass along the url for that recipe, there's a good lad... I haven't had the damned stuff since I was a young'un... :(

#40 Typhoid Maxx

Typhoid Maxx

Mr Negative

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7,163 posts

Posted 01 November 2009 - 1631 PM

http://www.cooks.com...-253193,00.html is the one I used, but with garlic salt instead of salt, and 6 shakes of Worcester sauce (both suggested by Rocky).

Twas yummy yummy yummy on full grain toast. (Put an over easy fried egg on top of one).

I can see myself eating that for breakfast, plus strong filter coffee and a glass of orange juice - then going out side and knocking out God, Godzilla, The Incredible Hulk and King Kong, in that order.

Edited by Maxx, 01 November 2009 - 1639 PM.