161 replies to this topic

#161 GARGEAN

GARGEAN

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,964 posts

Posted 06 September 2018 - 1033 AM

PAK-FA already has an IRST. Perhaps they just ran out of room in the nose with the radar installation? Most strike missions probably use INS/GPS anyway. When I see footage of LGBs hitting stuff it usually is a CAS situation, and presumably you wouldn't do CAS in contested airspace.

This. Albeit not exatly "ran out of space", but just never intended to have this system inside. T-50 was always multirole with AS as main role, unlike F-35 which is same multirole but with strike mission as head goal.

#162 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

Just Another Salisbury Tourist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 50,605 posts

Posted 06 September 2018 - 1122 AM

PAK-FA already has an IRST. Perhaps they just ran out of room in the nose with the radar installation? Most strike missions probably use INS/GPS anyway. When I see footage of LGBs hitting stuff it usually is a CAS situation, and presumably you wouldn't do CAS in contested airspace.

I know. It just strikes me as common sense to use the same system for both target identification and for guiding laser weapons.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: SU-57, T-50, Russia, Sukhoi, flying pancake, India

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users