• Please log in to reply
720 replies to this topic

#41 Edmund

Edmund

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,550 posts
  • Interests:Tanks, Trains, Planes, and boats(Big boats)

Posted 19 November 2015 - 0942 AM

Rita posted an interview with so WG designers (Or whatever) a week ago or so.  I can't link to it because of settings.  They said Chieftain not coming anytime soon and will not replace FV215b.  Hinted they had some other idea in mind.  Rita asked about player concern of it becoming a Clan reward tank.  They responded why is that a problem or something close.  So that is my Chieftain issue. 

I can get a Chieftain in AW but not in WOT if it is a CW reward tank.    I posted something on this in the WOT topic.  There is also a save the Chieftain post on the feedback and suggestions area of the WOT forums.  Although it is getting little attention. 

Very disappointed. 

#42 FlyingCanOpener

FlyingCanOpener

Kakistocrat

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8,872 posts
  • Interests:Geomatics // Naval History // Soccer // Teaching

Posted 01 December 2015 - 2144 PM

Started playing it last night. Some thoughts:

(1) Spotting seems to be imbalanced at lower tiers because smaller AFVs have massive view range advantage combined with camo. They can scoot around unseen and spot MBT's with impunity.

(2) There's no firing lanes when you want them, but you get an angle on someone you're guaranteed to melt from fire from 500m away because someone is camping somewhere in Tajikistan and they have clear LOS on you.

(3) There's so much junk on the battlefield that firing lanes can be reduced. Long sight lines are eliminated on one map because of a raised pipeline, so what should be a vision map becomes a vision map that only has knife fights. In addition, because of all of the junk, you see enemy tanks spotted... but there's none of them showing so you can't get shots off.

(4) The dispersion is insane compared to World of Tanks. I'm missing fully zoomed-in shots all the time because... I have no clue. Makes aiming a bit tricky because you want to aim for weakspots, but you're not guaranteed to land them.

(5) The same idiots who play World of Tanks are playing this game. Brain dead play everywhere and a complete lack of situational awareness, which means I take an advantageous position and am beating 2 tanks, then I'm surrounded by 5-6 before I even can react. In addition I had a platoon of 2 XM800s get 6 TK's on our team. in a match just now

#43 Colin

Colin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,905 posts
  • Interests:tanks, old and new AFV's, Landrovers, diving, hovercrafts

Posted 01 December 2015 - 2308 PM

I like the fact that you can't kill a tank by shooting the hatch. when you get a CTD, the game automatically files a report for you. started Arty this weekend, far easier than WOT, but your general location is shown on the map, so you need to move every 2 shots. they fixed the damage model on the LAV-150 as it took 5 hits to kill them. It's much easier to kill a AC or light tank now.

#44 Skywalkre

Skywalkre

Garry F!@#$%g Owen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7,770 posts
  • Interests:military history, psychology, gaming (computer, board, simulation, console), sci-fi

Posted 01 December 2015 - 2314 PM

(5) The same idiots who play World of Tanks are playing this game. Brain dead play everywhere and a complete lack of situational awareness, which means I take an advantageous position and am beating 2 tanks, then I'm surrounded by 5-6 before I even can react. In addition I had a platoon of 2 XM800s get 6 TK's on our team. in a match just now

This is basically what's stopped me from installing it.

To be fair, though, playerbases of almost all multiplayer games are horrid.  I've been playing a lot of Heroes of the Storm lately and the playerbase there is pretty awful as well.  The game keeps me interested in large part because I'm still learning it.

I need a good single-player game to come along.  The next X-Com can't come soon enough!

#45 FlyingCanOpener

FlyingCanOpener

Kakistocrat

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8,872 posts

Posted 06 December 2015 - 1642 PM

I got up to Tier 7 (Challenger 1) and spent some free XP to get the applique armour package and the top 120mm. After getting into mid tiers, here's my 5 points revised with some more observations...
  • Spotting is imbalanced, though it makes sense. Essentially your hatch is a spotting point and you can be spotted with your hatch visible as well. AFV's have highest spotting, then TD's, then MBT's have the lowest view range and camo. Big gunned TD's are at a meta level OP because they can spot, maneuver, hide, and hit hard.
  • You need a ton of situational awareness because if not you'll instantly melt from multiple tanks. If someone has a bead on you they're shooting.
  • After playing the available maps, there's obvious firing lanes but lots of cover. You spend a lot of the game zoomed in looking to see if you can get a shot on a spotted tank that's hiding behind a rock.
  • Dispersion is maddening. You're never going to hit anything on the move, so no use trying. Meta is currently scurrying between cover then coming to a stop to fire.
  • There is no such thing as a close game in Armored Warfare. I've played 120ish games, and have 2 draws, and 2-3 memorable close games. Everything else is a curbstomp. Players are idiots, but you can use that to your advantage.
More observations...
  • The game is GRINDY TO NO END. In order to research the Tier 8 tank (Ariete), I'm going to need to grind 500k XP and 8 million credits. That's after the 40k XP/500k credit armour package and 50k XP/800k credit top gun, of course. The devs have stated that it's not specifically to get people to spend money, but for meta reasons...
  • There is not a lot of difference between tiers, so it's OK not to be top tier, unlike World of Tanks where not being top tier is trouble. I was hull down in my Challenger 1 taking on a Chieftain with Stillbrew. I wasn't penning his applique even though he's in a tier 5 tank, though he wasn't going to pen me from pretty much anywhere with his gun since I have upgraded armour. You end up
  • Armour is so important for MBT's. You're not going to pen MBT's from the front--even those in lower tiers than you. You need to maneuver and get side shots, but side armour makes things interesting too when I bounced the side turret of an MBT-70 with a sabot from my own MBT-70.
  • There's no gold rounds to level the playing field, but at the same time, there's no practical use of HEAT rounds you research. It's supposed to be used on lower-armoured vehicles, but APDS and APFSDS do just as much damage, so why swap rounds?
  • ATGM's are a hoot to use, and surprisingly well-balanced. You fire the missile, Anyone in the flight patch gets warned, and you just aim the missile on a weak spot. They have a longer reload than gun rounds, but have higher pen and damage. Nothing like slapping higher tier MBT's with a couple of Shillelagh on the same weakspot.
  • The module system is an interesting take on it. Modules like spall liner are actually researched, and come in three tiers and in four categories: Mobility, Firepower, Armour, and Technology. Each tank has retrofit slots that depends on its type. For example, British MBT's have 2 armour slots, and a technology slot, in addition to a universal slot that all vehicles have. A twist on this is the fact that the tiers of each module are spread across the research trees, which means you have to grind vehicles all over the place if you want to go up a tier. For instance, I got the Tier 1 spall liner with my Chieftain. How do I get the Tier 2 spall liner? Research it on the BMP-1.  :blink: Oh, and the BMP-1 is just as terrible in-game as it was in real life; what a dog.
Regardless, pulling 57% totally solo now that I got past Tier 2.

Edited by FlyingCanOpener, 06 December 2015 - 1646 PM.

#46 Skywalkre

Skywalkre

Garry F!@#$%g Owen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7,770 posts
  • Interests:military history, psychology, gaming (computer, board, simulation, console), sci-fi

Posted 06 December 2015 - 2302 PM

Wait... so in a game with post-WW2 through modern vehicles where firing on the move should be viable for some of them the gameplay in AW is actually closer to real WW2 tank warfare than WoT which actually has the vehicles from that era?  :lol:

Is it safe to say you progress up the tiers faster in AW but it takes longer to fully kit out a vehicle?  Extremely grindy games are a big turnoff for me right now.

#47 FlyingCanOpener

FlyingCanOpener

Kakistocrat

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8,872 posts

Posted 06 December 2015 - 2333 PM

No, you grind up slower period, because the higher up you go it takes forever to research modules then it takes ages to research the next tank. Stock tanks are, however, fairly playable from what I've tried out, so there's at least that.

I'm not sure if I like the cross-researching for modules, though. It makes things very grindy, but at the same time, it makes players play all tanks across all tiers, which keeps the matchmaker healthy. Also, mid-tier tanks are very playable with tanks people like and would like to play (T-72's, Chieftains, M60A3's, and Leopard 1A5's are the Tier 5 MBT's) and the firepower jump isn't too bad (Armour very much is though), so players will want to play those tiers.

The devs stated they want getting a Tier 10 to be an achievement, so they've made it grindy for that purpose. Essentially they don't want people like me with 26 Tier 10's. :lol: Makes me wonder how Clan Wars will work out, considering that Tier 10's will be hard to get. I could see Tiers 8-10 being Clan Wars, because by that time it's all modern tanks (T-90/A, Ariete, M1A1/2/SEP, Leopard 2/A5/A7, Challenger 2/E, PL-01, Armata), so why restrict it to Tier 10?

#48 Edmund

Edmund

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,550 posts

Posted 10 December 2015 - 0813 AM

My first battle with the Chieftain in PVP was a real shock.  I was near the bottom with one other T5 tank.  Top was T7's.  My tanks was stock.  I got ripped to shreds and did little damage.  Team won, but not with my help. 

Stock ammo struggled with T7 MBT's.  I shouldn't have been with lead MBT's. 

I have15 AFV's.  Mostly play PvE as I can get the most games in a short amount of time.  Love to zip around in the XM800 (?). 

Edited by Edmund, 20 December 2015 - 1517 PM.

#49 Colin

Colin

• Members
  • 15,905 posts

Posted 19 December 2015 - 0138 AM

Free Type-59 in garage today as a gift tank

#50 Stefan Fredriksson

Stefan Fredriksson

Goldmember

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6,304 posts

Posted 19 December 2015 - 0706 AM

For everyone? Or only time-limited?

Haha, sorry, thought I was reading a Wot-post. :)

Edited by Stefan Fredriksson, 19 December 2015 - 0707 AM.

#51 DB

DB

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9,640 posts

Posted 22 December 2015 - 1451 PM

I've not dipped my toe into WoT, in spite of the free cards we were given at Tankfest at the Bovington I&I.

Should I go WoT or AW, as a noob?

#52 Skywalkre

Skywalkre

Garry F!@#$%g Owen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7,770 posts

Posted 22 December 2015 - 1540 PM

WoT is extremely unfriendly to new players in large part because the devs have chosen not to do anything to spare them from seasoned ones who get their jollies picking on new players.  AW is the better choice in that department simply because it's so new that that whole 'scene' likely hasn't developed to the same point yet.

#53 Stefan Fredriksson

Stefan Fredriksson

Goldmember

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6,304 posts

Posted 22 December 2015 - 2020 PM

I have only tested AW shortly, but Skywalkre is dead on.
In Wot, as a beginner, you are likely from start to meet players who have played literally for years.
Way too many of them are way too abusive.

#54 DB

DB

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9,640 posts

Posted 23 December 2015 - 1711 PM

I thought that might be the case. Thanks.

#55 Edmund

Edmund

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,550 posts

Posted 23 December 2015 - 1743 PM

I have noticed in PVP and PVE other players are dropping enemy tanks like flies.  Example in my T-64 I hit a M60 and did 250+ to it.  Another T-64 hits an M60 and it appears he kills it in one shot. 

Is there some way to increase the damage of the rounds in AW (legally) then just the upgrades?  Seems I am doing less damage then other players.  Thanks. 

#56 FlyingCanOpener

FlyingCanOpener

Kakistocrat

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8,872 posts

Posted 23 December 2015 - 1850 PM

Where you hit the tank (Hatches are half damage, and overpens with AP rounds will do less as well. Research the experimental propellant retrofit for damage bonus.

BTW, triple XP for all matches until 14 January. Just made 57k XP in a PvE win.

#57 Colin

Colin

• Members
  • 15,905 posts

Posted 23 December 2015 - 2013 PM

My Starship dies so easily, they fixed a couple of armour models, I put 5 76mm rds into a LAV-150 before it died, now it takes about 3

#58 Corinthian

Corinthian

Stone Age Bitter Delusional Retard

• Members
  • 21,057 posts
  • Interests:Wholesome stuff.

Posted 26 December 2015 - 1044 AM

Just started playing.

Fun at times. Frustrating also. This coming from an almost zero experience with WoT so the learning curve is steep for me.

My first and only PvP was fun enough. Killed two AFVs until I found myself at the wrong end of a rise and got stuck.

Play usually PvE.

#59 Marek Tucan

Marek Tucan

Powerpoint Ranger, Chairborne

• Members
  • 15,595 posts

Posted 26 December 2015 - 1501 PM

WoT is extremely unfriendly to new players in large part because the devs have chosen not to do anything to spare them from seasoned ones who get their jollies picking on new players.  AW is the better choice in that department simply because it's so new that that whole 'scene' likely hasn't developed to the same point yet.

There is a "kindergarten" mode now in WoT (finally), which filters out the sealclubbers... But yeah, the first steps are pretty harsh even without them.

#60 Stefan Fredriksson

Stefan Fredriksson

Goldmember

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6,304 posts

Posted 27 December 2015 - 0011 AM

Explain how that mode works please.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users