25 replies to this topic

#21 KV7

KV7

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 771 posts

Posted 19 December 2016 - 1845 PM

I suppose with all the footage we have been seeing recently where AAA has been used against ground targets (ZPU-2, ZPU-4, ZU-23, S-60, etc), the 57mm might just be a useful cannon to have around.  How capable would the shells be against thick brick walls or concrete structures?  After that, would the 57mm rounds have enough "behind armour" effect to make them particularly feared by enemy snipers etc firing weapons from tall buildings?

Putting a ZSU-57-2 up against an MBT would be a waste of a valuable infantry support weapon (in my opinion at least).  From the way AAA artillery has been used in recent conflicts (even 20mm Oerlikon-equipped Crusader cruiser tanks were used in support of Churchill heavy tanks and infantry according to Bryan Perrett's The Churchill tank book (a really interesting book I must say), I dare say that the ZSU-57-2 would do quite well in this role providing its thin armour and open-topped turret was taken into account.

The APCBC-T round will go through half a meter of concrete or so and has a small bursting charge. The larger fragments will be good enough to go through some internal walls.

#22 DougRichards

DougRichards

Doug Richards

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8,903 posts
  • Interests:Degree in History and Politics. Interests are Military History, military models,

Posted 20 December 2016 - 0043 AM

I suppose with all the footage we have been seeing recently where AAA has been used against ground targets (ZPU-2, ZPU-4, ZU-23, S-60, etc), the 57mm might just be a useful cannon to have around.  How capable would the shells be against thick brick walls or concrete structures?  After that, would the 57mm rounds have enough "behind armour" effect to make them particularly feared by enemy snipers etc firing weapons from tall buildings?

Putting a ZSU-57-2 up against an MBT would be a waste of a valuable infantry support weapon (in my opinion at least).  From the way AAA artillery has been used in recent conflicts (even 20mm Oerlikon-equipped Crusader cruiser tanks were used in support of Churchill heavy tanks and infantry according to Bryan Perrett's The Churchill tank book (a really interesting book I must say), I dare say that the ZSU-57-2 would do quite well in this role providing its thin armour and open-topped turret was taken into account.

As those 20mm Oerlikon Crusaders were not actually doing anything else at the time, their use in supporting infantry and other armour must be assumed to be a good use of an available resource.  It should also be remembered that at least some British LVT-4 used in the Rhine crossings, and places like the Netherlands, were armed with a pintle mounted 20mm Oerlikon or Polsten.  Whilst of some use as AAA, these would have been of better use, as they did not have AA sights, against ground targets.

lvt.jpg

#23 Gavin-Phillips

Gavin-Phillips

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,291 posts

Posted 20 December 2016 - 1538 PM

The APCBC-T round will go through half a meter of concrete or so and has a small bursting charge. The larger fragments will be good enough to go through some internal walls.

That would make the ZSU-57-2 quite a capable weapon then, well worth having around and keeping in service!  Certainly a bit more mobile in difficult terrain or rubble-filled streets than a flatbed truck with an S-60 lashed to the deck...

#24 Nikolas93TS

Nikolas93TS

Thread necromancer and obscure questions

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 803 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 0426 AM

There is another thing to consider. I was told BR-281 was reportedly issued in combat load just a self-defence or for direct ground support if vehicles were encountered, and not to be used for engaging aircraft due to the limited utility. So the bulk of ammunition would be comprised of high explosive OR-281 with limited penetration if the vehicle was in the air-defence role. According to Yugoslav sources, 250 HE and 50 armour piercing rounds would be issued, although that means one clip had mixed ammo.

I don't whenever it is true because I was not able to dig such information in more reputable source or to find a trace of some kind of standardised combat load. A typical loading of each ammunition belt on ZSU-23-4 contains 40 OFZT and 10 BZT rounds, but that is a different weapon altogether. Not sure if it applied to ZSU-57-2.

Edited by Nikolas93TS, 06 September 2017 - 0513 AM.

#25 bojan

bojan

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9,639 posts
  • Interests:Obscure tanks and guns.
    Obscure facts about well known tanks and guns.
    Obscure historical facts.

Posted 07 September 2017 - 1854 PM

On ZSU-57-2 not all ammo came loaded on clips.

#26 Nikolas93TS

Nikolas93TS

Thread necromancer and obscure questions

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 803 posts

Posted 08 September 2017 - 1752 PM

Yes, I am aware 52 rounds were stored unclipped, but I assume they would be clipped in order to be fired.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users