7213 replies to this topic

#7081 Panzermann

Panzermann

REFORGER '79

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,435 posts

Posted 29 July 2019 - 2116 PM

They just sewed on good looking patches on the jackets in Top Gun paying not much attention to their meaning. 

#7082 JasonJ

JasonJ

nonbiri

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10,976 posts

Posted 29 July 2019 - 2132 PM

They just sewed on good looking patches on the jackets in Top Gun paying not much attention to their meaning.

Thank goodness they found a red circle on white background looking cooler than a solid red with gold stars on it :)

#7083 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

Just Another Salisbury Tourist

• Members
  • 54,572 posts

Posted 30 July 2019 - 0145 AM

They actually did a pretty good job at filling in the blanks in the film. For example, the cockpit mockup had the film crew putting on realistic labels to everything. I get the impression Tony Scott was as much a stickler for unseen detail as his brother.

The new patch appears to read "Indian Ocean Cruise 85/86", which is a nice touch of detail in various ways.

Obviously the new Top Gun movie needs a flashback scene where Christopher Walken is explaining to young Maverick how his fathers flight jacket came back to him

Soren

:D

#7084 Stargrunt6

Stargrunt6

Empire Apologist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7,824 posts

Posted 30 July 2019 - 1056 AM

Dead MiG storage

#7085 Nobu

Nobu

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,951 posts

Posted 30 July 2019 - 1127 AM

Judging by the controversy, the Taiwanese apparently have more affection for the flag of Nationalist China than they would lead us to believe.

The exclusion of Kelly McGillis from the sequel has generated considerably less.

Edited by Nobu, 30 July 2019 - 1133 AM.

#7086 BansheeOne

BansheeOne

Bullshit filter overload, venting into civility charger

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14,250 posts

Posted 30 July 2019 - 1204 PM

Now you're talking! Yeah I know she isn't exactly the looker of 30 years ago these days, but come on, there should have been time and budget for a half-minute cameo explaining why it didn't work out between Charlie and Maverick.

#7087 Nobu

Nobu

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,951 posts

Posted 30 July 2019 - 1310 PM

Based on her career trajectory/security clearance in the original, she was well on her way to an undersecretary post back then.

What exactly Mav was doing in the meantime will probably give us the answer.

#7088 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

Just Another Salisbury Tourist

• Members
  • 54,572 posts

Posted 30 July 2019 - 1322 PM

It didn't work out, because Maverick was pining for someone to play gay volleyball with?

Or she was using him to find out about the mig28s 4g negative dive capability.

Edited by Stuart Galbraith, 30 July 2019 - 1324 PM.

#7089 TonyE

TonyE

I/Kitsap Militia

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5,477 posts

Posted 30 July 2019 - 2025 PM

#7090 Nobu

Nobu

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,951 posts

Posted 30 July 2019 - 2142 PM

"Kelly McGillis is heterosexuality" did not age well.

#7091 Soren Ras

Soren Ras

Molehill Mountaineer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,397 posts

Posted 31 July 2019 - 0118 AM

:D :D

--

Soren

#7092 Yama

Yama

The only honest Scorpion

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6,974 posts

Posted 01 August 2019 - 0934 AM

Based on her career trajectory/security clearance in the original, she was well on her way to an undersecretary post back then.

Yeah, why would a career woman like her stay attached to Maverick if he's happy being a cool loser, as implied by TG2 teaser. I think it is only lame if everyone and their dog rush out to make an appearence on sequels simply for nostalgia.
At least they did not cast 20-something babe to hook up with Cruise, that would have been embarrassing.

#7093 Stargrunt6

Stargrunt6

Empire Apologist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7,824 posts

Posted 01 August 2019 - 1123 AM

Yeah, why would a career woman like her stay attached to Maverick if he's happy being a cool loser, as implied by TG2 teaser. I think it is only lame if everyone and their dog rush out to make an appearence on sequels simply for nostalgia.
At least they did not cast 20-something babe to hook up with Cruise, that would have been embarrassing.

That's why Roger Moore quit 007. He pointed out that a 50 something spy sleeping with 20 somethings would be very gross.

#7094 BansheeOne

BansheeOne

Bullshit filter overload, venting into civility charger

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14,250 posts

Posted 01 August 2019 - 1223 PM

Of course the explanation is evident, but this is a nostalgia sequel - Maverick still has the same motorbike and by all accounts is going to hijack a Tomcat, ferchrissakes! They even brought back Val Kilmer, and that guy has been battling throat cancer, looked the part and could hardly speak not too long ago. As such I care infinitely more about Kelly McGillis than a patch on a jacket, her self-deprecatory "I'm too old and fat for this" notwithstanding! :wub:

#7095 Skywalkre

Skywalkre

Garry F!@#$%g Owen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8,865 posts

Posted 02 August 2019 - 1531 PM

Considering the divorce rate in the military (assuming Mav even married her) the most realistic aspect of this sequel will be the fact they're not together.  :P

#7096 Skywalkre

Skywalkre

Garry F!@#$%g Owen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8,865 posts

Posted 02 August 2019 - 1537 PM

#7097 RETAC21

RETAC21

A la lealtad y al valor

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13,577 posts

Posted 03 August 2019 - 0246 AM

Lots of "uh? what?" on that trailer...

#7098 Harold Jones

Harold Jones

Shaken but not deterred...

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4,393 posts

Posted 03 August 2019 - 0809 AM

Doesn't sound that promising to me.

Premise

At the height of the First World War, two young British soldiers, Schofield (George MacKay) and Blake (Dean-Charles Chapman) are given a seemingly impossible mission. In a race against time, they must cross enemy territory and deliver a message that will stop a deadly attack on hundreds of soldiers, Blake’s own brother among them.

#7099 R011

R011

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6,681 posts

Posted 03 August 2019 - 0958 AM

Sounds like a two hour version of the last act of Gallipoli. It would be nice if they subvert the expected ending.

#7100 Yama

Yama

The only honest Scorpion

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6,974 posts

Posted 03 August 2019 - 1021 AM

Yeah that came to mind for me too. Premise seems pretty daft if you ask me (and of course you do). Also seems a bit, I dunno, clean, like Dunkirk.