• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Inhapi

Inhapi

Wielder of the Unicorn Hat

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 556 posts
  • Interests:Tanks, warships, polar exploration, ancient history,astronomy and space exploration,Ancient Egypt, harpsichords, Baroque and Classisist music, buying far too many books.

Posted 26 September 2018 - 0908 AM

AFAIK the British had to return the Sherman's and other LL AVF's after WWII. Does anyone know when this process started ? Also, does anyone haven an idea how many AFV's were left in Brisitsh stocks after the returns ?

thanks

#2 shep854

shep854

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,950 posts
  • Interests:Military History, Aviation

Posted 26 September 2018 - 1610 PM

I understand many of them were simply discarded by burying.  LL rules about materiel use were very specific.  There have been posts in other threads of where they were used for shoring up berms, etc or simply filling large holes in the ground.  It seemed especially wasteful, since AIUI, British industry was starved for steel in the post-war years.

The sheer volume of vehicles and gear simply dumped after the war is staggering. 

Edited by shep854, 26 September 2018 - 1611 PM.

#3 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

Just Another Salisbury Tourist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 51,049 posts

Posted 30 September 2018 - 1302 PM

If you see the Jack Hawkins film 'The Intruder' you can see a big scrapyard of them being cut up. That was came out in 1953, so you can how much steel they had to cut.

They also had some of them converted into tractors, I think for the Tanganyka groundnut scheme. Called Shervick (Sherman Vickers).

#4 Inhapi

Inhapi

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 556 posts
  • Interests:Tanks, warships, polar exploration, ancient history,astronomy and space exploration,Ancient Egypt, harpsichords, Baroque and Classisist music, buying far too many books.

Posted 30 September 2018 - 1856 PM

Yes, near Antwerp there was a scrapyard with over 300 Shermans in it. The Belgian Army got its first postwar tanks out of it. (they selected the Fireflys from them).

I wonder tough, how did the British army cope with suddenly loosing large part of its tank force in 1945 ? They of couse did demobilse quickly afaik...but is there any TOE out there of what was available to British tank forces after "loosing" the LL vehicles ? After all, the Firefly was arguably the most effective tank in British service at the end of WWII, Comets were only coming in service in numbers, and the Centurion still took a few years to mature...

oh, and sorry for the typo in the title.

#5 DB

DB

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10,996 posts

Posted 01 October 2018 - 1434 PM

The forums autocapitalisation turned "LL" into "Ll", bot you.

I imagine that the BA was too busy procuring cheap cardboard suitcases and cheaper suits to worry about how many tanks they wanted to keep.

#6 Inhapi

Inhapi

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 556 posts

Posted 01 October 2018 - 1729 PM

I guessed so.... (about the cheap...)

#7 RETAC21

RETAC21

A la lealtad y al valor

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13,326 posts
  • Interests:Military history in general

Posted 02 October 2018 - 1516 PM

Yes, near Antwerp there was a scrapyard with over 300 Shermans in it. The Belgian Army got its first postwar tanks out of it. (they selected the Fireflys from them).

I wonder tough, how did the British army cope with suddenly loosing large part of its tank force in 1945 ? They of couse did demobilse quickly afaik...but is there any TOE out there of what was available to British tank forces after "loosing" the LL vehicles ? After all, the Firefly was arguably the most effective tank in British service at the end of WWII, Comets were only coming in service in numbers, and the Centurion still took a few years to mature...

oh, and sorry for the typo in the title.

There were plenty of British tanks to equip the rump forces left by late 45, which amounted to 2 armoured divisions (1st and 7th) and a few armoured brigades. 1st armoured division was disbanded in 46 or 47, and there were enough Comets and Cromwells to equip 7th in Germany. I don't know what the Territorials had, but I guess Cromwells, if lucky.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users