#1 FlyingCanOpener

FlyingCanOpener

Kakistocrat

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9,050 posts
  • Interests:Geomatics // Naval History // Soccer // Teaching

Posted 03 November 2018 - 1308 PM

So I was digging through a box from high school and found my old copy of Close Combat 2: A Bridge Too Far. Soaked with nostalgia I picked up Close Combat: Panthers in the Fog and was taking it for a spin. Been wanting to play some slower tactical RTS games so why not? I load up the Avranches scenario and after a couple of tries working out infantry tactics, I decide to give it a fair go. AI is pretty tenacious and won't give an inch, so overmatch is a must.

I've yet to win because of the stupid victory system. Break the Axis morale and they flee the field of battle, but because I didn't take every capture point, they still win the game. Arrgh!

#2 Chris Werb

Chris Werb

In Zod We Trust

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,211 posts
  • Interests:But it's got electrolytes! They're what plants crave!

Posted 03 November 2018 - 1359 PM

I literally just found my DVD copy of ABTF today, whilst clearing out a shelf unit to move a spin dryer out of the porch. I have to say ABTF was the best of the bunch for me. :)

#3 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

Just Another Salisbury Tourist

• Members
  • 48,730 posts

Posted 03 November 2018 - 1437 PM

Agreed. The maps in CC3 were WAY too big to be playable with anything but armour. It was more like Steel Panthers than Close Combat.

I was rubbish with Bridge too far as well. There WAS some mod packs out there that gave you more weapons which did help. My favourite was the mission generator, which allowed you to replicate the Battle of Studley Constable in 'The Eagle has Landed'. Poor Steiner didnt do any better in CC then he did in real life. :D

#4 Burncycle360

Burncycle360

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,323 posts

Posted 03 November 2018 - 1905 PM

I really liked CC3, but armor did dominate pretty quickly.  Often found myself playing the western front mod.

Being able to edit squad composition with hex editor also kept it interesting and kept me coming back for a while

#5 Nobu

Nobu

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,760 posts

Posted 03 November 2018 - 2150 PM

I never knew there was a scenario for Studley Constable. Worth revisiting in 2018 for that alone.

#6 GregShaw

GregShaw

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 997 posts
  • Interests:snowmobiles, guns, computers

Posted 04 November 2018 - 0202 AM

Been working on getting a bunch of old DOS games working in DOSBOX, mostly old flight sims; SWOTL, AOP, AOE, etc...

Also trying to get Basilisk II and Sheepshaver working to try and get my old Mac games working too. My living room is a mess of old game boxes. I just happened to be going through one of my storage boxes about 5 minutes ago and found CC (powermac version) and CC:ABTF (mac and windows), Going to try installing the Win NT/95 version on my Win7 game PC and Win10 laptop to see if they work. Should be easier than trying to get them running in Basilisk II.

#7 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

Just Another Salisbury Tourist

• Members
  • 48,730 posts

Posted 04 November 2018 - 0259 AM

I never knew there was a scenario for Studley Constable. Worth revisiting in 2018 for that alone.

Oh, it wasnt a scenario, so much as the instant editor being so quick and easy you can set it up as a doddle. Just pick German Fallscirmjager to Defend, and US Paratroopers (I think there was a halftrack model as well) to attack. There is even a village in it which seems to have  passing resemblance to an English Village. Pity you cant give the germans stens without modding, but you cant have everything.

I was using dosbox to play 'Trinity' the old Infocom adventure game. I really must pick that up again, it was very interesting/infuriating.

#8 Stargrunt6

Stargrunt6

Empire Apologist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7,249 posts
  • Interests:Ducats and shot

Posted 13 November 2018 - 2048 PM

FCO, wish you spoke to me first. I have bought three of the new CC games by matrix/sliverine: panthers in the fog, can, and modern missions.

the new system is broken all to hell. Artillery/fire support is of the "press x to win" death star variety. no spotter needed, no counter battery, instant time-on-target style.

in the ww2 games, troopers are broken down to 2-3 man squad lets for whatever reason.

no real control of armor fire control, unlike Combat Mission. armor duels are pretty much a crap shoot.

RIP, Close Combat. One more reason why I miss the 90s.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users