• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#21 rmgill

rmgill

Strap-hanger

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,914 posts
  • Interests:WWII Armor, Ferrets, Dingos, Humbers, etc...

Posted 28 September 2011 - 1644 PM

Anyone know of a good reliable App or program to convert avi files to iTunes capable?

I got a shit load of movies and I want to convert them so I can sync and go with the phone.

Bueller?

Nothing off the top of my head. But Verstiontracker.com (now download.cnet.com/mac) has been what I use as a GREAT starting point for software for the mac. I've used this for years and it's been very handy.

#22 GregShaw

GregShaw

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,126 posts
  • Interests:snowmobiles, guns, computers

Posted 28 September 2011 - 1902 PM

Anyone know of a good reliable App or program to convert avi files to iTunes capable?

I got a shit load of movies and I want to convert them so I can sync and go with the phone.

Bueller?

Handbrake.fr

#23 m1a1mg

m1a1mg

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6,803 posts

Posted 28 September 2011 - 2036 PM

Handbrake.fr

+1.

#24 Juan Sosa

Juan Sosa

Back in the land of Sam

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,318 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 1000 AM

Don't bother converting. Download the "It's Playing" app for the iPhone (Im assuming thats what you have). It plays virtually every video format out there.

Finally, Quicktime should be able to convert any file that it can play into an iTunes capable format.

#25 m1a1mg

m1a1mg

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6,803 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 1202 PM

What does it do size wise?

#26 franko

franko

Der Panzerkommandant....

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,252 posts
  • Location:Back from Asscrackistan....delivered 120mm to naughty children a few times.
  • Interests:tank restorations

Posted 30 September 2011 - 2120 PM

Don't bother converting. Download the "It's Playing" app for the iPhone (Im assuming thats what you have). It plays virtually every video format out there.

Finally, Quicktime should be able to convert any file that it can play into an iTunes capable format.

Quicktime can't play avi files. I use VLC for that. Also iTunes won't import avi files. Kinda hard to watch movies streaming over Apple TV if they aren't in iTunes....and that's what I'm shooting for.

Thanks for the replys!

#27 Juan Sosa

Juan Sosa

Back in the land of Sam

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,318 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 0906 AM

Quicktime can't play avi files. I use VLC for that. Also iTunes won't import avi files. Kinda hard to watch movies streaming over Apple TV if they aren't in iTunes....and that's what I'm shooting for.

Thanks for the replys!

It can open them with the right codec installed. You are correct however that VLC is much nicer for general video playback. As for the Apple TV, you are right that you need to have it in iTunes to stream it from your computer.

There are workarounds though. Some Mac apps allow you to stream to your Apple TV through AirPlay. This one looks good:

http://www.maclife.c...ple_tv_airflick

I'm actually trying it out tonight. I'll let you know how it goes.

m1, my tests with Quicktime as a file converter have been mixed as far as file size is concerned. I think it depends a lot on the way the original was encoded. Some times it is the same, others larger and others larger. Its hit and miss.

Edited by Juan Sosa, 03 October 2011 - 0919 AM.

#28 m1a1mg

m1a1mg

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6,803 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 0928 AM

I've played a bit with Format Factory. Really easy GUI, which is good for me.

#29 GregShaw

GregShaw

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,126 posts
  • Interests:snowmobiles, guns, computers

Posted 03 October 2011 - 1534 PM

I use Ripit on the Mac to rip from physical DVD to dvdmedia format on the hard drive. Which gives a copy of the DVD on the hd. I then run makemkv to rip to .mkv format to play in VLC. I run aieesoft media converter pro on windows to mount the dvdmedia folder and rip to 1280x720 .mp4 to play on my iPad.

I keep all 3 copies of everything, which eats up a gawdawful amount of disc space, but disk space is cheap, and I like having the redundancy.

Greg shaw

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users