• Please log in to reply
80 replies to this topic

#61 TTK Ciar

TTK Ciar

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 12 March 2019 - 1520 PM

"The US Army's Multi-Purpose 120mm tank round, to arm the v4, is now being engineered to integrate several different kinds of ammunition into a single, tailorable round -- to include High Explosive Anti-Tank rounds, Multi-Purpose Anti-Tank rounds and anti-personnel canister rounds, among others."

E5M is going to blow a gasket ;-)

Edited by TTK Ciar, 12 March 2019 - 1520 PM.

#62 Panzermann

Panzermann

REFORGER '79

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,648 posts

Posted 12 March 2019 - 1542 PM

"The US Army's Multi-Purpose 120mm tank round, to arm the v4, is now being engineered to integrate several different kinds of ammunition into a single, tailorable round -- to include High Explosive Anti-Tank rounds, Multi-Purpose Anti-Tank rounds and anti-personnel canister rounds, among others."

Not only him. Another jack-of-all-trades-one-size-fits-none solution like the infamous M430 HEDP 40 mm grenade cartridge. neither fish nor fowl (tofu?). Why is it so hard to have mopre than two different rounds in service? Do they think their TCs and gunners are too dumb for more?

#63 Wiedzmin

Wiedzmin

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,374 posts

Posted 12 March 2019 - 1548 PM

that roof plate looks thick enough to be a feasible armour plate with that distance. Pretty decent  roof protection I'd say, if it is hrdened armopur plkate, and there is not  much reason to put mild steel there.

15-20mm thick imho

514ZDCgUWLU.jpg

and it's look strange, maybe not steel...

#64 GARGEAN

GARGEAN

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,150 posts

Posted 12 March 2019 - 1554 PM

that roof plate looks thick enough to be a feasible armour plate with that distance. Pretty decent  roof protection I'd say, if it is hrdened armopur plkate, and there is not  much reason to put mild steel there.

It's like 2-3mm thick...

#65 Wiedzmin

Wiedzmin

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,374 posts

Posted 12 March 2019 - 1558 PM

It's like 2-3mm thick...

look on main section, not rear part that is thin sheets covering bustle roof

#66 GARGEAN

GARGEAN

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,150 posts

Posted 12 March 2019 - 1619 PM

look on main section, not rear part that is thin sheets covering bustle roof

Looks like plate of same thickness with bend enges. May be wrong ofc.

#67 Dark_Falcon

Dark_Falcon

The Stryker's Friend

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,277 posts

Posted 14 March 2019 - 1330 PM

The M1A1/A2's recoil spring:

D1nJZXMX4AEhSd4.jpg

Big, isn't it?

#68 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

Just Another Salisbury Tourist

• Members
  • 55,618 posts

Posted 14 March 2019 - 1337 PM

Re Challenger 2, it was known at the time Vickers covered part of the roof with thin plate in order to prettify it. Whats not clear to me is if they did this partly to give a stand off against top attack rounds, or if its also done in addition to thickened armour on the roof.

All I do know is, its stated the turret was designed with top attack rounds in mind. I know no more than that.

#69 TTK Ciar

TTK Ciar

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,034 posts

Posted 14 March 2019 - 1850 PM

Not only him. Another jack-of-all-trades-one-size-fits-none solution like the infamous M430 HEDP 40 mm grenade cartridge. neither fish nor fowl (tofu?). Why is it so hard to have more than two different rounds in service? Do they think their TCs and gunners are too dumb for more?
Perhaps they want to make maximum use of ammo space for stowed kills. Do you want to carry three of each of four kinds of special-purpose rounds in case you need them, and only 30 sabot? Or six jack-of-all-trade rounds and 36 sabot?

I, too, am dubious that multipurpose munitions could do as good a job as specific-purpose munitions, but perhaps even if you have to use more rounds to achieve the same effects, it's a net win? I don't know. Too much "it depends".

Edited by TTK Ciar, 14 March 2019 - 1850 PM.

#70 EchoFiveMike

EchoFiveMike

I offer safe passage through the wasteland

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11,811 posts

Posted 14 March 2019 - 1943 PM

Just buy what's already done, you loathsome assclown pogues.

https://www.gd-ots.c...Purpose-AMP.pdf

Every son of a bitch, waste of skin associated with this crime against the taxpayer should be flayed, and their skin displayed in front of where they train these pogues, as a lesson on why you shouldn't be a parasite. 

Seriously, the war is at home, vs parasites, not the durka-durkas.  S/F....Ken M 

#71 JW Collins

JW Collins

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,327 posts

Posted 20 March 2019 - 1353 PM

Not only him. Another jack-of-all-trades-one-size-fits-none solution like the infamous M430 HEDP 40 mm grenade cartridge. neither fish nor fowl (tofu?). Why is it so hard to have mopre than two different rounds in service? Do they think their TCs and gunners are too dumb for more?

I don't think this new 120mm is shaped charge HEAT. It's programmable HE with settings for contact, delay, and airburst. When set to delay it's capable of taking out BMPs and other lightly armored targets.

Generally I think it would be more useful than M830 and M830A1 for the sort of wars we've been fighting, it should have just been in service a decade ago. However I think there are other reasons to keep canister and HEAT.

Edited by JW Collins, 20 March 2019 - 1353 PM.

#72 Dark_Falcon

Dark_Falcon

The Stryker's Friend

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,277 posts

Posted 20 March 2019 - 1800 PM

M1A2s back to being painted in NATO 3-color camo.  Some video here, but I must warn that its video of Trump giving a speech at the GDLS plant at Lima, OH.  Here's two Trump-free photos of the MBTs being repainted (source):

D1_855gX0AAogvD.jpg

D2G9W8xWwAArUSj.jpg

#73 Panzermann

Panzermann

REFORGER '79

• Members
  • 16,648 posts

Posted 20 March 2019 - 1921 PM

Looks like they slapped together the parts at hand, no matter the colour. :D

#74 Dark_Falcon

Dark_Falcon

The Stryker's Friend

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,277 posts

Posted 21 March 2019 - 1713 PM

Looks like they slapped together the parts at hand, no matter the colour. :D

Here's a picture of the finished product: "US Army testing the new Ground Vehicle Coating System, here as a four colour scheme over Abrams M1A2. New paint formula provides a much lower IR/heat signature and results far esier both to apply and clean from chemical agents."

D2M0FdzWoAAa4Ro.jpg

The brackets on the side of the turret and hull are for ERA module attachment.

Edited by Dark_Falcon, 21 March 2019 - 1714 PM.

#75 Panzermann

Panzermann

REFORGER '79

• Members
  • 16,648 posts

Posted 21 March 2019 - 1727 PM

If the slightly different hue of green in the middle is of any use?  :huh:

#76 Harold Jones

Harold Jones

Shaken but not deterred...

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4,419 posts

Posted 21 March 2019 - 2047 PM

Yes it makes it 4 color camo which is clearly superior to 3 color camo.  

#77 lastdingo

lastdingo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4,905 posts

Posted 02 June 2019 - 1718 PM

https://defence-blog...in-romania.html

#78 Dawes

Dawes

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,642 posts

Posted 02 June 2019 - 1822 PM

Wasn't the three-color pattern originally a German design?

#79 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

Just Another Salisbury Tourist

• Members
  • 55,618 posts

Posted 03 June 2019 - 0418 AM

Yes it makes it 4 color camo which is clearly superior to 3 color camo.  

Well I guess it keeps paint manufacturers in work. :)

#80 Panzermann

Panzermann

REFORGER '79

• Members
  • 16,648 posts

Posted 03 June 2019 - 0520 AM

Wasn't the three-color pattern originally a German design?

Much of the research of the common three colour pattern was done by Germany, but other NATO members took also part in the research including the USA.  And most NATO members use variations of the pattern nowadays. Biggest exceptions are Spain, that uses just flat bronze green tone and DK & UK that use their black and green scheme that they developed together long ago iirc.