47 replies to this topic

#41 Murph

Murph

Hierophant Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,530 posts

Posted 11 December 2009 - 0903 AM

Very true, Lupe would do the same, organize all the 4x6 prints that came off the camera, keeping some, sending some to relatives, and disposing of some. In terms of shooting, digital is essentially free.

That's one thing mum has deplored since the advent of digital cameras. She usually organizes all the photos developed. Now, because it's all digital, hardly any are developed, hence "no memories."

The downside really is that with digital, one just takes and takes and takes pix, resulting to hundreds, and that can be costly to develop. :blink:

#42 Marek Tucan

Marek Tucan

Powerpoint Ranger, Chairborne

• Members
  • 15,973 posts

Posted 11 December 2009 - 0914 AM

Back to Windows 7, didn't hose my old disc (prolly the system noticed I made backups, so decided it's not neccessary) - since I had backups, I decided to format it anyway.
Only problem encountered so far - cannot run American Conquest, neither in Win7 or in WinXP virtual machine for Win7. But then I did not try all that hard yesterday evening.

#43 Archie Pellagio

Archie Pellagio

Now flouridating a water source near YOU!

• Members
  • 15,224 posts
  • Interests:Vermonter global conquest rampages!

Posted 11 December 2009 - 0933 AM

The downside really is that with digital, one just takes and takes and takes pix, resulting to hundreds, and that can be costly to develop. blink.gif

Tell me about it, I've almost used up all of my 40gb of SD cards in the last few weeks alone! :o

#44 Murph

Murph

Hierophant Lord

• Members
  • 18,530 posts

Posted 12 December 2009 - 1711 PM

OK, it is here. Copying 40,000 files.

#45 Corinthian

Corinthian

Stone Age Bitter Delusional Retard

• Members
  • 21,336 posts
  • Interests:Wholesome stuff.

Posted 13 December 2009 - 0220 AM

Tell me about it, I've almost used up all of my 40gb of SD cards in the last few weeks alone! :o

:mellow:

Going thru all that and choosing which pix are to be kept and discarded can be a PITA. I often take 2-3 shots of the same subject, then choose which among the 3 is the best. Staring at a monitor to judge the differences for hours on end *ugh*

Do you have one of those 300-500GB portable HDs along with you in your travels? I never thought I'd finish all 8GB of my SDHC, thought that 1000+ 12MP pix capacity was a lot already. I was down to 20+ pix at the end of my 1 week vacation. :blink:

#46 Archie Pellagio

Archie Pellagio

Now flouridating a water source near YOU!

• Members
  • 15,224 posts
  • Interests:Vermonter global conquest rampages!

Posted 13 December 2009 - 1401 PM

No HDD, just my EeeePC, but I'm terrified that the imaged will be lost from a corrupted hard drive or the whole damn thing will get flogged.
I almost bought one of those WD 'passport' HDD's about 400gb or whatever, really small, and at a steal of a price, about 50% off or something ($179aud or something at the time) but I erred, and when i went back two days later, nada... :(

#47 Corinthian

Corinthian

Stone Age Bitter Delusional Retard

• Members
  • 21,336 posts
  • Interests:Wholesome stuff.

Posted 13 December 2009 - 1744 PM

Over here, a WD 500GB passport costs nearly the same as a WD 1TB external desktop drive. IOW, expensive.

SDHC for your camera? Samsung recently launched a tough SDHC. Magnet-proof, shockproof, waterproof, etc etc etc. Available only in Yurrup for now, hoping it hits our shores, would complement my camera.

Edited by TomasCTT, 13 December 2009 - 1745 PM.

#48 Murph

Murph

Hierophant Lord

• Members
  • 18,530 posts

Posted 24 December 2009 - 1609 PM

I now have 5 terabytes (!) of storage connected to my system 3 TB internal, 2 TB external. Massive redundency.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users