• Please log in to reply
486 replies to this topic

#41 sawdusty

sawdusty

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts
  • Interests:Sociology. The human condition. The pursuit of wisdom.

Posted 21 August 2008 - 1833 PM

Seems the Army has missed a few if their goal was to cover the soldier with every badge, ribbon, insignia possible. I suggest:

Having insignia of every unit the soldier ever served in placed on the right sleeve

On the left sleeve they should have all his PT and marksmanship scores

Not bad. At least it would weight down the bell bottom sleeves.

#42 Lampshade111

Lampshade111

Armchair Admiral

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,082 posts

Posted 21 August 2008 - 1854 PM

Could somebody refresh my memory, does anybody have a photo of the old uniforms this is replacing?

Don't we have better things to spend our money on at the moment?

#43 Ivanhoe

Ivanhoe

purposeful grimace

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,077 posts
  • Interests:military technology, military history, weapon systems, management/organizational design, early American history

Posted 21 August 2008 - 1912 PM

I don't know much about uniforms, but those togs look totally appropriate for a Fun Coordinator at Chucky Cheese. Oh, wait...

#44 Jeff

Jeff

Godfather of Tanknet Birthday Greetings

• Members
  • 29,020 posts

Posted 21 August 2008 - 1946 PM

Where's the reincarnation of Hugo Boss when you need him?

#45 rmgill

rmgill

Strap-hanger

• Members
  • 23,849 posts
  • Interests:WWII Armor, Ferrets, Dingos, Humbers, etc...

Posted 21 August 2008 - 2101 PM

Better model, at least...

The first thing that grabs my eye every time with the Army uniform picture is how the beret flash is out of position; it should be directly over the left eye. It makes the model look like a civilian trying to look like a soldier (maybe he is).

Or a Pole from WWII who's had someone do funny things to his beret.

Posted Image

#46 shep854

shep854

• Members
  • 20,361 posts
  • Interests:Military History, Aviation

Posted 21 August 2008 - 2205 PM

Or a Pole from WWII who's had someone do funny things to his beret.

Posted Image

Army regs are specific. If you're gonna wear it, wear it right. Troops who have been in combat for who knows how long do get some slack.

#47 Corinthian

Corinthian

Stone Age Bitter Delusional Retard

• Members
  • 21,336 posts
  • Interests:Wholesome stuff.

Posted 21 August 2008 - 2237 PM

Looks like he's wearing a tight blue skirt.

#48 Manic Moran

Manic Moran

Mad Irish Tanking Ilk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9,547 posts
  • Interests:Blowing things up, scale modelling, wargaming.

Posted 21 August 2008 - 2337 PM

So who can we email to tell them to hit reverse?

Or is it the fact that now they've put out the official letter that it's signed and sealed and there's feck-all we can do about it?

Is there any website out there anywhere where posters are thinking this is a good idea? I've not found any yet. Then again, I can't recall anyone raving about the beret idea, but that went ahead.

I'm also not convinced by the "No service cap for Spec-4 and below" rule. The first time they have a company in formation with scattered service caps and berets intermixed it's going to be ugly.

NTM

Edited by Manic Moran, 22 August 2008 - 0036 AM.

#49 Sardaukar

Sardaukar

Cynical Finnish Elk Eating Ilk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9,612 posts
  • Interests:military, martial arts, wargames, literature

Posted 22 August 2008 - 0409 AM

Looks like he's wearing a tight blue skirt.

My thoughts exactly...I actually burst laughing when I saw the picture. They must be out of their mind !! :D :D

#50 shep854

shep854

• Members
  • 20,361 posts

Posted 22 August 2008 - 0653 AM

From StrategyPage:

http://www.strategyp...s/20080822.aspx

They said it, I didn't! :P

#51 rmgill

rmgill

Strap-hanger

• Members
  • 23,849 posts

Posted 22 August 2008 - 0752 AM

Army regs are specific. If you're gonna wear it, wear it right. Troops who have been in combat for who knows how long do get some slack.

Heh, the whole point of a beret is that it's a floppy head gear. It's MEANT to be floppy. Starching and shaping it so that it's fitting and sitting in an exact way is like starching and creasing BDUs down the front and around the bloused area. Typical storage of one's Beret when wearing hard headgear was tucked in your BDU blouse or stuffed in your pocket.

Ya want stiff headgear? Go with a solid peaked cap.

#52 shep854

shep854

• Members
  • 20,361 posts

Posted 22 August 2008 - 0806 AM

Heh, the whole point of a beret is that it's a floppy head gear. It's MEANT to be floppy. Starching and shaping it so that it's fitting and sitting in an exact way is like starching and creasing BDUs down the front and around the bloused area. Typical storage of one's Beret when wearing hard headgear was tucked in your BDU blouse or stuffed in your pocket.

Ya want stiff headgear? Go with a solid peaked cap.

Ryan, I'm with you. I admit, though, that I still don't see the utility of berets as a hat. A patrol or boonie cover seems most practical to me.

#53 FALightFighter

FALightFighter

Red-Legged Ilk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,416 posts

Posted 22 August 2008 - 0817 AM

If they wanted a blue uniform, all they needed to do was take the current green uniform and make it the same color as the current dress blue jacket. Gray or tan shirt, either or is fine.

The only problem with the old green uniform was the green shirt, and the green was very bright and not very military. Something more olive (like the USMC) and a khaki shirt.

Another option for change would be to base the new uniform on the gray dress used by USMA and some of the other military schools- that generally looks sharp. Maybe that done in blue.

I think we're all screwed now. Thankfully, I'll only have to wear it for 3 years.

The current green uniform (male and female)
http://www2.una.edu/...lass_a_male.jpg
http://www.miscuse.d...my/class_af.jpg

The current blue uniform (male and female)
http://www.miscuse.d...my/custblue.jpg

West Point Cadet Uniforms:
http://www.oknapc.or...Point_group.jpg

VMI Cadet Uniforms
http://www.hightytig...9-VMICadets.jpg
http://www.vmi.edu/a...3cb7acd3364.jpg

Texas A&M Cadet uniforms
http://www.defenseli...-7203T-008b.jpg

#54 Noble713

Noble713

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 495 posts
  • Interests:cars, computers, TO&E

Posted 22 August 2008 - 0934 AM

That SST uniform isn't bad, but I also like some of the stuff from Battlestar Galactica:

http://media.battles...nif_ActoCon.JPG

Simple, smart, and quite comfortable-looking.

#55 Marek Tucan

Marek Tucan

Powerpoint Ranger, Chairborne

• Members
  • 15,973 posts

Posted 22 August 2008 - 0953 AM

Or just give this uniform some pockets. Oh, and teach all US servicemember (esp. officers) to speak with British accent ;)
Posted Image

#56 rmgill

rmgill

Strap-hanger

• Members
  • 23,849 posts

Posted 22 August 2008 - 1038 AM

Ryan, I'm with you. I admit, though, that I still don't see the utility of berets as a hat. A patrol or boonie cover seems most practical to me.

They make sense for AFV crews if your forces use headsets in any context of being on Duty. The US ARMY with it's safety consciousness requires a CVC if you do anything more than look at a tank, so you'll never see US tankers with a Beret and a headset. Personally, I think road marches, moving around the post and general stuff should allow for at least some crew to wear berets. Heck, at least parades when you want to look snazzy. But then how often does US armor parade? Cause we all know an M1 with properly maintained track pads will destroy a road. ;)

Of course, the original aspect was that Armoured forces were elite along with airborne over regular infantry. Hence the use of a special type of headgear starting back in the early days of armoured warfare.

But then I've said all this before and it's not like anyone views my opinions on the subject with any weight. :rolleyes:

#57 BillB

BillB

Scooter Trash Gunphobic, apparently

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12,214 posts
  • Interests:most things military, military modelling, Vespa motor scooters, Staffordshire Bull Terriers

Posted 22 August 2008 - 1355 PM

They make sense for AFV crews if your forces use headsets in any context of being on Duty. The US ARMY with it's safety consciousness requires a CVC if you do anything more than look at a tank, so you'll never see US tankers with a Beret and a headset. Personally, I think road marches, moving around the post and general stuff should allow for at least some crew to wear berets. Heck, at least parades when you want to look snazzy. But then how often does US armor parade? Cause we all know an M1 with properly maintained track pads will destroy a road. ;)

Of course, the original aspect was that Armoured forces were elite along with airborne over regular infantry. Hence the use of a special type of headgear starting back in the early days of armoured warfare.

But then I've said all this before and it's not like anyone views my opinions on the subject with any weight. :rolleyes:

First time I've heard that. AIUI the first armoured people to use berets were the Royal Tank Regiment, officially from 1924. That was sixteen years before British Commando and Airborne Forces adopted the beret as a badge of "elite" status, IIRC. I don't think elite had anything to do with the RTR adoption of the black beret either. Apparently Elles and Fuller were billeted near some French Chasseurs Alpines in 1918, who wore outsized berets and Elles decided it was a practical form of headgear for clambering around tanks; black was chosen because it didn't show oil stains. See here: http://www.1rtr.net/blackberet.html

BillB

#58 rmgill

rmgill

Strap-hanger

• Members
  • 23,849 posts

Posted 22 August 2008 - 1444 PM

First time I've heard that. AIUI the first armoured people to use berets were the Royal Tank Regiment, officially from 1924. That was sixteen years before British Commando and Airborne Forces adopted the beret as a badge of "elite" status, IIRC. I don't think elite had anything to do with the RTR adoption of the black beret either.

Why'd those Elite units pick berets? :rolleyes: I've seen that the folks in the RAC/RTR/Armoured forces were generally referred to as elite because they not only had to fight, but also navigate AND be capable with mechanical beasts and wireless sets. Basically, in a nation that was still moving a lot of things around with horses, anyone who knew one end of an internal combustion engine from another and could take it apart and fix it was considered a cut above. I don't know how much of that is the Armoured Forces folks tooting their own horns or not but it works in a manner of speaking. :)

Apparently Elles and Fuller were billeted near some French Chasseurs Alpines in 1918, who wore outsized berets and Elles decided it was a practical form of headgear for clambering around tanks; black was chosen because it didn't show oil stains. See here: http://www.1rtr.net/blackberet.html

Yep. And another practical consideration is that headsets work over a beret neatly whereas the peaked caps of the time didn't work at all. So you could have your head cover on while still doing wireless and intercom stuff. It also works well when you've got your forehead pressed up against an episcope or protected vision slit. Peaked caps, not so much.

Interestingly, we have a photo in one of our member's collection of books what shows an RSM from a recce unit who's wearing the BLACK coveralls in the '44 time period and a tan beret while everyone else in the unit is wearing Green denim summer tanker coveralls and black berets. The Black tanker coveralls being deemed to be TOO Germanish early in the war.

Edited by rmgill, 22 August 2008 - 1446 PM.

#59 BillB

BillB

Scooter Trash Gunphobic, apparently

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12,214 posts
  • Interests:most things military, military modelling, Vespa motor scooters, Staffordshire Bull Terriers

Posted 22 August 2008 - 1849 PM

Why'd those Elite units pick berets? :rolleyes: I've seen that the folks in the RAC/RTR/Armoured forces were generally referred to as elite because they not only had to fight, but also navigate AND be capable with mechanical beasts and wireless sets. Basically, in a nation that was still moving a lot of things around with horses, anyone who knew one end of an internal combustion engine from another and could take it apart and fix it was considered a cut above. I don't know how much of that is the Armoured Forces folks tooting their own horns or not but it works in a manner of speaking. :)

Bit hasty with the rolleyes there I think, Ryan. Commandos and Airborne Forces didn't pick berets, they had them forced upon their largely unwilling rank and file from above, and not without a fair bit of resistance. You are right about the horse being the pre-eminent mode of transport in the UK thru the 1920s and 30s, but I'd be interested to see a reference for the RTR or anyone else using the term "elite" at the time the black beret was adopted in 1924, given that it is a modern term that has been overused to the point it has become virtually meaningless. If anyone was going to attract labels like elite back in those days I should have thought it would have been the likes of the Guards, not a bunch of oily spanner wielders. :)

Yep. And another practical consideration is that headsets work over a beret neatly whereas the peaked caps of the time didn't work at all. So you could have your head cover on while still doing wireless and intercom stuff. It also works well when you've got your forehead pressed up against an episcope or protected vision slit. Peaked caps, not so much.
Interestingly, we have a photo in one of our member's collection of books what shows an RSM from a recce unit who's wearing the BLACK coveralls in the '44 time period and a tan beret while everyone else in the unit is wearing Green denim summer tanker coveralls and black berets. The Black tanker coveralls being deemed to be TOO Germanish early in the war.

Inded, that's why the RTR shape their berets both ways instead of just to the right like the rest of the BA. The only slight problem with this is that there were no radio headsets to wear in 1918 when Elles decided the beret was good headgear for tankies, and while I stand to be corrected I don't think there was a widespread need for them to wear radio headsets until the early 1930s either. Ref the last bit, well RSMs have always been a bit of a law unto themselves...

BillB

#60 TonyE

TonyE

I/Kitsap Militia

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5,467 posts
  • Interests:Them grate steal beest! and, there history.

Posted 22 August 2008 - 1909 PM

First time I've heard that. AIUI the first armoured people to use berets were the Royal Tank Regiment, officially from 1924....http://www.1rtr.net/blackberet.html

French tankers used them (the small "pyrrenean" type) already during WW1, albeit in a very dark blue colour.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users