• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Ifor

Ifor

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
  • Location:England(on loan from God's country. Wales 400miles of coastline all facing the Sea. Who's coat is this jacket hanging on floor?
  • Interests:Anything military, cryptozoology, crime, zoology,

Posted 21 September 2017 - 1240 PM

Interesting article in The National Interest Sept 19 newsletter. Apparently the Russians have outpaced us in electronic warfare now. I really don't know why we bother with our defence industries, they obviously don't cut the mustard. Perhaps we should just roll over and allow them to tickle our tummies!!!!!!!!
We do however have black pudding and lava bread.

#2 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

Welcome to the new world disorder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 40,177 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 1251 PM

There was something on that website I linked for you FMSO, about Russian emergent electronic warfare capablities. Its certain they look very impressive, but they are really hard to assess as they have yet to use them against Western systems. There HAS been claims that they used them against a US Guided Missile Destroyer in the Black Sea last year, but they have a dubious ring to them. Certainly there seems to be no truth to the claim that US sailors were so traumatized they resigned from the service.

That said, they do clearly have some impressive electronic capablities, as you can see from the GPS jamming thread. The problem is that till its used, we wont know whats real and whats bullshit.

#3 a77

a77

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 610 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 1333 PM

The problem is that till its used, we wont know whats real and whats bullshit.

Think like this IF Russia did have electronic warfare technology that seriously can jamming/disrupt first class NATO gear it would be a national top secret and label "only to be used in WW3" Not being showed to a US Guided Missile Destroyer and give US a opportunity to make a ECCM system that defeat your new electronic warfare technology. So it is bullshit propaganda.

#4 Josh

Josh

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11,489 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 1410 PM

The Black Sea incident was disproven I believe. Well, the ECM disabled the ship part; Russian planes definitely did buzz the ship.

While I have no doubt the Russians have a fairly extensive array of ECM capabilities, the National Interest isn't worth reading as a source. It is breathless reporting with little factual basis (even when the facts are available with minimal research) who's articles oscillate between two themes: "has Russian/China completely outclassed the US?" Or "the US has completely outclassed Russia/China". As an example just this morning my news feed spit out a puff piece on the USS Jimmy Carter. I've been trying to find a way to eliminate NI from my phone's news feeds to no avail.

Edited by Josh, 21 September 2017 - 1411 PM.

#5 billman

billman

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 1558 PM

The national interest is basicly buzzfeed of the geo political world.

#6 Dark_Falcon

Dark_Falcon

The Stryker's Friend

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,457 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 1737 PM

The Black Sea incident was disproven I believe. Well, the ECM disabled the ship part; Russian planes definitely did buzz the ship.

While I have no doubt the Russians have a fairly extensive array of ECM capabilities, the National Interest isn't worth reading as a source. It is breathless reporting with little factual basis (even when the facts are available with minimal research) who's articles oscillate between two themes: "has Russian/China completely outclassed the US?" Or "the US has completely outclassed Russia/China". As an example just this morning my news feed spit out a puff piece on the USS Jimmy Carter. I've been trying to find a way to eliminate NI from my phone's news feeds to no avail.

Well, obviously the National Interest is going to leave out the Jimmy Carter's vulnerability to Killer Rabbits. :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users