606 replies to this topic

#601 Mike Steele

Mike Steele

Boobies!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,330 posts

Posted 21 September 2017 - 0855 AM

You know, the UN speech is a perfect illustration of why Trump got elected. He is the perfect Mine to blow all the precious egos at the moon. I was listening after his speech some of the delegates talking of his inappropriate language and bombastic manner. The same people whom have been tolerating the inappropriate language and behavour from people like Iran, North Korea and other similar pains in the collective ass of the international community for years without much in the way of a comment.

Will it do any good? Probably not. I think the attempt has to be made to try and point to the high aspirations of the UN in the early years and attempt a reset. Ive little hope of it succeeding. The only good news at least is that its pointed out to Iran that Israel very likely is about to intervene in the Syrian conflict, so they are on notice. And its also pointed out to North Korea, and China, that there is an excellent chance of North Korea being turned into a smoking crater. So his lack of diplomatic language at least has the advantage of being easily translatable. Nobody can say they dont understand his position.

Im not an admirer of Trump anymore than I am of the AK47, but equally one can say both do exactly what they say in the user manual, and are both worthy of the same rueful respect.

There was a comment on the BBC that Obama got applause when he spoke in the UN, and Trump didnt. Maybe there will prove to be some inverse law that the less you get applauded, the more you are listened to. One can hope.

"When your over the target, you take alot of flak"

#602 mnm

mnm

Plague doctor

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4,470 posts
  • Interests:Totally uninteresting.

Posted 21 September 2017 - 1726 PM

Perhaps Venezuela, with all that oil they must have some spare cash!

Surely you jest...

No sir, never, I stand as serious as a 15Euro note!

#603 seahawk

seahawk

military loving leftist peace monkey

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,991 posts

Posted Yesterday, 11:31 AM

The speech was brilliant and the left is going ape shit crazy about it, while Iran shows their new missile and proof Trump correct.

#604 Paul G.

Paul G.

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5,677 posts

Posted Today, 11:10 AM

Apparently President anti-political correct is politically correct about kneeling during the National Anthem, advocating the NFL fire those players.

Surprise its not about "political correctness" its about personal preference.

#605 Jeff

Jeff

Drum beating laughing boy

• Members
  • 26,823 posts

Posted Today, 11:57 AM

Samantha Power sought to unmask Americans on almost daily basis, sources say

By Bret Baier, Catherine Herridge, Fox News

Samantha Power, the former U.S. ambassador to the United Nations, was 'unmasking' at such a rapid pace in the final months of the Obama administration that she averaged more than one request for every working day in 2016 – and even sought information in the days leading up to President Trump’s inauguration, multiple sources close to the matter told Fox News.

Two sources, who were not authorized to speak on the record, said the requests to identify Americans whose names surfaced in foreign intelligence reporting, known as unmasking, exceeded 260 last year. One source indicated this occurred in the final days of the Obama White House.

The details emerged ahead of an expected appearance by Power next month on Capitol Hill. She is one of several Obama administration officials facing congressional scrutiny for their role in seeking the identities of Trump associates in intelligence reports – but the interest in her actions is particularly high.

In a July 27 letter to Director of National Intelligence Dan Coats, House Intelligence Committee Chairman Devin Nunes, R-Calif., said the committee had learned "that one official, whose position had no apparent intelligence-related function, made hundreds of unmasking requests during the final year of the Obama Administration."

The "official" is widely reported to be Power.

During a public congressional hearing earlier this year, Republican Rep. Trey Gowdy of South Carolina pressed former CIA director John Brennan on unmasking, without mentioning Power by name.

Gowdy: Do you recall any U.S. ambassadors asking that names be unmasked?

Brennan: I don't know. Maybe it's ringing a vague bell but I'm not -- I could not answer with any confidence.

Gowdy continued, asking: On either January 19 or up till noon on January 20, did you make any unmasking requests?

Brennan: I do not believe I did.

Gowdy: So you did not make any requests on the last day that you were employed?

Brennan: No, I was not in the agency on the last day I was employed.

Brennan later corrected the record, confirming he was at CIA headquarters on January 20. "I went there to collect some final personal materials as well as to pay my last respects to a memorial wall. But I was there for a brief period of time and just to take care of some final -- final things that were important to me," Brennan said.

Three of the nation's intelligence agencies received subpoenas in May explicitly naming three top Obama administration officials: Former national security adviser Susan Rice, Brennan and Power. Records were requested for Ben Rhodes, then-President Barack Obama's adviser, but the documents were not the subject of a subpoena.

Asked for comment on Wednesday, a spokesman for Power had nothing further to add. But on Thursday, the spokesman provided this statement to Fox News:

"The anonymously sourced reports about Ambassador Power’s intelligence requests are false. Ambassador Power looks forward to engaging the bipartisan Committee in the appropriate classified forum."

During congressional testimony since the unmasking controversy began, National Security Agency Director Adm. Mike Rogers has explained that unmasking is handled by the intelligence community in an independent review.

"We [the NSA] apply two criteria in response to their request: number one, you must make the request in writing. Number two, the request must be made on the basis of your official duties, not the fact that you just find this report really interesting and you're just curious,” he said in June. “It has to tie to your job and finally, I said two but there's a third criteria, and is the basis of the request must be that you need this identity to understand the intelligence you're reading."

Previous U.N. ambassadors have made unmasking requests, but Fox News was told they number in the low double digits.

Power has agreed to meet with the Senate and House intelligence committees as part of the Russia probe. She is expected before the House committee in a private, classified session in October.

http://www.foxnews.c...ources-say.html

#606 Murph

Murph

Hierophant Lord

• Members
  • 15,274 posts

Posted Today, 12:52 PM

Well the UN is a complete joke and has been for 60+ years.  I loved it, tell the scumbags how the cow ate the cabbage.   I also loved his comments on the anti-american NFL crybabies.  I am boycotting football this season until they get their act together.  I'll watch cricket or something else where overpaid, spoiled brats don't act like complete @ssholes.

#607 Paul G.

Paul G.

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5,677 posts

Posted Today, 01:42 PM

Samantha Power sought to unmask Americans on almost daily basis, sources say
By Bret Baier, Catherine Herridge, Fox News

Samantha Power, the former U.S. ambassador to the United Nations, was 'unmasking' at such a rapid pace in the final months of the Obama administration that she averaged more than one request for every working day in 2016 and even sought information in the days leading up to President Trumps inauguration, multiple sources close to the matter told Fox News.

Two sources, who were not authorized to speak on the record, said the requests to identify Americans whose names surfaced in foreign intelligence reporting, known as unmasking, exceeded 260 last year. One source indicated this occurred in the final days of the Obama White House.

The details emerged ahead of an expected appearance by Power next month on Capitol Hill. She is one of several Obama administration officials facing congressional scrutiny for their role in seeking the identities of Trump associates in intelligence reports but the interest in her actions is particularly high.

In a July 27 letter to Director of National Intelligence Dan Coats, House Intelligence Committee Chairman Devin Nunes, R-Calif., said the committee had learned "that one official, whose position had no apparent intelligence-related function, made hundreds of unmasking requests during the final year of the Obama Administration."

The "official" is widely reported to be Power.

During a public congressional hearing earlier this year, Republican Rep. Trey Gowdy of South Carolina pressed former CIA director John Brennan on unmasking, without mentioning Power by name.

Gowdy: Do you recall any U.S. ambassadors asking that names be unmasked?

Brennan: I don't know. Maybe it's ringing a vague bell but I'm not -- I could not answer with any confidence.

Gowdy continued, asking: On either January 19 or up till noon on January 20, did you make any unmasking requests?

Brennan: I do not believe I did.

Gowdy: So you did not make any requests on the last day that you were employed?

Brennan: No, I was not in the agency on the last day I was employed.

Brennan later corrected the record, confirming he was at CIA headquarters on January 20. "I went there to collect some final personal materials as well as to pay my last respects to a memorial wall. But I was there for a brief period of time and just to take care of some final -- final things that were important to me," Brennan said.

Three of the nation's intelligence agencies received subpoenas in May explicitly naming three top Obama administration officials: Former national security adviser Susan Rice, Brennan and Power. Records were requested for Ben Rhodes, then-President Barack Obama's adviser, but the documents were not the subject of a subpoena.

Asked for comment on Wednesday, a spokesman for Power had nothing further to add. But on Thursday, the spokesman provided this statement to Fox News:

"The anonymously sourced reports about Ambassador Powers intelligence requests are false. Ambassador Power looks forward to engaging the bipartisan Committee in the appropriate classified forum."

During congressional testimony since the unmasking controversy began, National Security Agency Director Adm. Mike Rogers has explained that unmasking is handled by the intelligence community in an independent review.

"We [the NSA] apply two criteria in response to their request: number one, you must make the request in writing. Number two, the request must be made on the basis of your official duties, not the fact that you just find this report really interesting and you're just curious, he said in June. It has to tie to your job and finally, I said two but there's a third criteria, and is the basis of the request must be that you need this identity to understand the intelligence you're reading."

Previous U.N. ambassadors have made unmasking requests, but Fox News was told they number in the low double digits.

Power has agreed to meet with the Senate and House intelligence committees as part of the Russia probe. She is expected before the House committee in a private, classified session in October.

http://www.foxnews.c...ources-say.html

So the thing about unmasking is almost anyone can request unmasking. Only about 20 people in the government can authorize unmasking. There is a specific criteria for unmasking that has to be met.

This article does not indicate if the US persons were unmasked or not.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users