98 replies to this topic

#41 rmgill

rmgill

Strap-hanger

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,070 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 1647 PM

An SSTO is I think the best way to get off of Eve. I think air breathing rockets can help too.

#42 BansheeOne

BansheeOne

Bullshit filter overload, venting into civility charger

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14,296 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 1731 PM

An airbreathing rocket would be ideal, except Eve's atmosphere has no oxygen. I'm using aerospike engines on my Atmoscender design, which have the highest Isp regardless of environmental pressure, but it takes a very careful flight profile balancing speed, lift and air resistance to get even into Kerbin orbit. I have no idea how it will behave in Eve atmosphere which is five times as dense at sea level.

#43 rmgill

rmgill

Strap-hanger

• Members
  • 24,070 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 0032 AM

Then Kethane to refuel your return to eve orbit stage.

#44 sunday

sunday

Bronze-age right-wing delusional retard

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12,003 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 0059 AM

Famous last words at a NASA job interview: "I have extensive experience with Kerbal Space Program." ^_^

#45 Harold Jones

Harold Jones

Shaken but not deterred...

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4,393 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 0210 AM

I had a friend who used his semi-addiction to Rail Tycoon in a job interview with a small railroad.  He actually got the job.

#46 Marek Tucan

Marek Tucan

Powerpoint Ranger, Chairborne

• Members
  • 15,973 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 0213 AM

You probably just have to NOT tell how many Kerbalnauts you let to die... Though maybe then they would pick you for the Mars mission control :D

#47 Rickard N

Rickard N

Swedish ilk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,354 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 0659 AM

Arrrghhhhh

I spent the entire evening yesterday to get a ma...eehhh... green thingie to Mun and back but I don't get enought fuel off the damn planet with my current tech level... very frustrating. PLUS I got a Mun orbiter back with some science points, I thought, but the damn thing crashed so badly for god knows what reasons....

/R

#48 rmgill

rmgill

Strap-hanger

• Members
  • 24,070 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 1218 PM

Run at least mech job or kerbal engineer to check your delta-vee. Use those tools plus the delta-vee map to make sure you're going to get there and back.

#49 Guest_Jason L_*

Guest_Jason L_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 December 2013 - 1356 PM

This title is on steam sale now: $16.19

#50 BansheeOne

BansheeOne

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14,296 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 1454 PM

Then Kethane to refuel your return to eve orbit stage.

I still don't run any add-ons, and based upon previous performance I'm afraid even refueling the descent stage wouldn't get me back into orbit. An added complication is that when I updated to 0.22, the program somehow retracted all landing gear of landed ships, and if I switch to the Brute I will need to do it with the throttle fully open to avoid it crashing from two meters altitude; already lost an Eve probe that way.

Arrrghhhhh

I spent the entire evening yesterday to get a ma...eehhh... green thingie to Mun and back but I don't get enought fuel off the damn planet with my current tech level... very frustrating. PLUS I got a Mun orbiter back with some science points, I thought, but the damn thing crashed so badly for god knows what reasons....

/R

I have not tried a career so far, though I will at some point to seek new challenges; however, even the limited parts of the demo version allow manned Mün round trips, you just need to apply more megalomania! My old Crasher-Hera combination looked like a pyramid of stacked fireworks with IIRC 13 LV-T30 engines clustered in the first stage plus a dozen jettisonable solid fuel boosters in the first and second stage, but it got a Kerbal to the Mün and back with fuel to spare - and that was before I learned economical ascent. Careful trajectories go a long way in saving fuel; the waypoint planner is your most important instrument.

In my experience, a good flight path into orbit is starting the tip-over at about 10,000 meters (typically with 20 seconds indicated to apoapsis on the map screen), lowering the nose to 67 degrees over the horizon, then 45 at 20,000 meters/40 seconds, 23 at 30,000 meters/one minute, and going horizontal at 40,000/1:20, cutting off thrust when indicated apoapsis is about 80,000 meters, then shooting for a circular orbit as soon as leaving the atmosphere at 70,000.

Remember that the Mün is in its best position when it's about 45 degrees ahead of you relative to Kerbin. Optimal trajectory is a Hohmann parable with its apoapsis just inside the Mün's gravitational field. Aligning inclination precisely at the upward/downward node saves you fuel for later corrections. After achieving a low circular Mün orbit, initiate descent about 90 degrees ahead of your intended landing site, factoring in münar rotation and a foreshortened final trajectory to touch down vertically. Learn to use the flight path indicator on the nav ball to correct for a 90 degree descent by burning in slightly increased attitude - landers really don't like lateral velocity during touchdown.

#51 Guest_Jason L_*

Guest_Jason L_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 December 2013 - 1516 PM

You just need the right equipment: http://forum.kerbals...adf1c60fb3df80f

#52 Fritz

Fritz

Master of Panzer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7,598 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 1630 PM

This title is on steam sale now: $16.19

You just ruined whatever is left of my day...

#53 BansheeOne

BansheeOne

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14,296 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 1705 PM

The new NASA Asteroid Redirect Mission Pack is promising lots of additional fun. With the new bigger parts I'm also hopeful to finally get my guy back from Eve in my sandbox game; but more importantly, you can now finally recreate Apollo missions (though the Lunar/Münar Modul takes somes improvising)!

screenshot180%20-%20Apollo-Saturn%20V%20

screenshot191%20-%20Apollo-Saturn%20V%20

screenshot194%20-%20Apollo%20Kopplungsma

screenshot202%20-%20Apollo%20verl%C3%A4%

screenshot206%20-%20Apollo%20Bremsman%C3

screenshot212%20-%20M%C3%BCnar%20Module%

screenshot218%20-%20Landerbesatzung%20au

screenshot222%20-%20M%C3%BCnar%20Module%

screenshot236%20-%20Abtrennung%20Service

screenshot240%20-%20Apollo%20vor%20Wasse

#54 rmgill

rmgill

Strap-hanger

• Members
  • 24,070 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 1824 PM

Hmm! I like that lander configuration how much delta vee reserve do you have for your de orbit and landing ? I managed to get a multi crew lander down and then barely get it to a stable vary low orbit by burning ALL the RCS on the ascent module. The CM had to then rendezvous at the 15km orbit that was barely above some of the peaks. Clearly that model needs some redesign.

#55 Harold Jones

Harold Jones

Shaken but not deterred...

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4,393 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 2310 PM

You should put those pics in an album called "How I spent my Easter Vacation"

#56 BansheeOne

BansheeOne

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14,296 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 0314 AM

Actually I did that mission on the weekend before last right after downloading the ARM pack. I've spent the first half of my Easter vacation on general springtime housecleaning, resumption of I&I planning and some other admin stuff so far. :D

Hmm! I like that lander configuration how much delta vee reserve do you have for your de orbit and landing ? I managed to get a multi crew lander down and then barely get it to a stable vary low orbit by burning ALL the RCS on the ascent module. The CM had to then rendezvous at the 15km orbit that was barely above some of the peaks. Clearly that model needs some redesign.

Actually it has way excessive Delta-v. On the first go round, I had put a large 750 liter RCS prop tank on the Apollo Service Module rather than more fuel, and spent almost all of the latter on the burn for the Münar trajectory (I think this was actually done by the third Saturn stage IRL, but that just put me into Kerbin orbit). So I took a page out of Apollo 13 and used the lander descent engine to brake for orbit around the Mün, plus transfered down to half of its fuel to the Service Module for the way back. I still landed and achieved (barely) orbit again with the lander, though I had indeed to use most of the RCS prop to rendezvous with the CM again (but had hundreds of liters of monoprop left on the SM).

On the documented mission, I replaced the large RCS tank on the Service Module by another 800 liters of fuel, which was sufficient for stable Münar orbit and only warranted transfer of a quarter from the descent stage for the return, which proved ample. With that amount, the lander almost returned to orbit on the descent stage alone; the ascent stage by itself probably wouldn't have made it, so differently from real life lift-off from the münar surface was with both stages on both missions. Unfortunately you can't really slim the lander down to more realistic proportions; I was thinking about building the descent stage out of a 100 liter small tank, two 22.2 liter toroidal tanks and six to eight of the little 12.7 liter ones honeycombed around with an LV-909 engine and smaller landing struts, but have my doubts it would suffice.

The biggest problem was stability of the Saturn V with the small ascent stage decoupler and top docking port of the Münar Module holding Apollo on top; despite the new tighter attachment of stages, that flexed uncontrollably even with struts. I arrived at the wonderful approximation to the real-life LM hangar by trying to bridge the gap with jettisonable I-beams for stability, then thought, "hm, I could attach structural plates to those beams ..." Anyway, the craft file is on my FTP account if somebody wants to pull it apart and improve.

Edited by BansheeOne, 17 April 2014 - 0548 AM.

#57 Rickard N

Rickard N

Swedish ilk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,354 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 0557 AM

One thing I find annoying is that it's a bit unclear what gives science points in the career mode and which of these you have completed (plus to find all terrain types and semi crash a probe there....)

/R

#58 BansheeOne

BansheeOne

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14,296 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 0645 AM

The KSP Wiki is very helpful on this. The entries on Kerbin, the Mün and Minmus also have maps of the different biomes. With due preparation and some learning process, I was able to max out the tech tree before the latest additions with a carefully-planned longtime mission within the Kerbin subsystem.

Initially I had results processed by an expeditionary lab and radioed to Kerbin, but found the loss to great; also, my first lander proved underpowered for the Mün, and I had to start with Minmus. I then went to a system of detachable science modules that were physically returned to Kerbin; when I found that you can store several results of the same type but from different biomes on one ship, operations became considerably more simple as only fuel had to be replenished by tenders (which could also take over science results once I had learned to EVA without getting Lost in Space - mostly by establishing direct ladder connections between hatches of docking ships). However, the modular approach also meant I could get out additional sensors to the expedition as they became available.

screenshot80%20-%20Jebediah%20Kerman%20m

screenshot100%20-%20Hopper%20und%20Dropp

screenshot103%20-%20Billy-Boblorf%20Kerm

screenshot108%20-%20Hopper%20koppelt%20g

screenshot113%20-%20Dropper%20koppelt%20

screenshot126%20-%20Exopod-Tr%C3%A4ger%2

screenshot139%20-%20Apollon%20Tender%20k

screenshot141%20-%20Lars%20Kerman%20%C3%

screenshot161%20-%20Dropper%20und%20Minm

screenshot164%20-%20Wissenschaftliche%20

#59 Rickard N

Rickard N

Swedish ilk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,354 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 0744 AM

Has anyone seen a release date for 0.24? My google-fu has been extraordinary weak the past months or so :(

/R

#60 rmgill

rmgill

Strap-hanger

• Members
  • 24,070 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 1136 AM

Check the forums. 

http://forum.kerbals...4453b64fc6c70f4