90 replies to this topic

#41 Chris Werb

Chris Werb

In Zod We Trust

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10,928 posts

Posted 03 August 2019 - 1848 PM

Yeah, thats true. I use mine on a desk too.

If I clear out the shed, I might be able to build a half decent Tomcat cockpit, but there doesnt seem much point if you are playing in vr. :D

I can't believe your shed doesn't have a really impressive model railway layout in it. Mine is more of a latex dungeon (well, lots of dive gear anyway).

#42 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

Just Another Salisbury Tourist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54,655 posts

Posted 04 August 2019 - 0135 AM

I was going to Chris, but real life events got in the way. Ive bought half the great western railway in OO gauge when I do.

In truth, since my father died, its not that I lost interest, its kind of painful to go back to it. But I probably will someday.

#43 Mr King

Mr King

Fat Body

• Members
  • 19,418 posts

Posted 05 August 2019 - 0157 AM

Yeah, thats true. I use mine on a desk too.

If I clear out the shed, I might be able to build a half decent Tomcat cockpit, but there doesnt seem much point if you are playing in vr. :D

Stuart with VR googles on, how do you see the keyboard to know what keys you're pressing to operate all of the aircraft systems and functions that are not on the stick and throttle? 

#44 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

• Members
  • 54,655 posts

Posted 05 August 2019 - 0211 AM

You dont. :D

For the most important controls I have them mapped onto the joystick, usually the same or identical location they are on the real aircraft. You can also click all the buttons inside the aircraft (or at least, all the ones with clickable cockpits, the FC3 ones dont have any) and operate it that way. For example, the F14 has some different hud modes, Cruise, AA, Take off, etc. So I select them via the buttons in the virtual cockpit. The mouse isnt easy to use when you are in BFM, but of course, thats probably true with someone trying to find a button in combat also. DCS are already working on integrating gloves, which might be an option for the future.

Some you simply cant replicate, so I just tip up the goggles so I can see out the bottom, and press the relevant key. Shift U for cat launch for example.

The other alternative is to use something like Voice attack. Ive not used this much because the mode sheet that was produced for the DCS F14 is a bit patchy, but the places where it was working, worked brilliantly. For example, in a dogfight I can tell my RIO 'Drop Tanks!' and he will pickle them off. Really useful. My main reluctance to use it is that Ive yet to overcome the stigma of talking to myself. :D

When you get used to the limitations, VR is fantastic. yes, mine fog up, yes, the distant view is not a patch on a monitor. But when you have your first furball, you will be amazed at the situational view you get. I have not tried track IR, but I cannot see it competing with it. Perhaps wait a couple of years till they manage to up the resolution and actually design them to operate with someone with glasses though....

Edited by Stuart Galbraith, 05 August 2019 - 0213 AM.

#45 Corinthian

Corinthian

Stone Age Bitter Delusional Retard

• Members
  • 21,347 posts

Posted 06 August 2019 - 2043 PM

Enjoying the hell out of Growling Sidewinder channel. The rematch between the F-14 v Su-33 where their missiles hit each other was awesome. So was the MiG-29 v F-15 fight, where the F-15 pulls a 11 to 13 g maneuver to evade a missile.

#46 Corinthian

Corinthian

Stone Age Bitter Delusional Retard

• Members
  • 21,347 posts

Posted 06 August 2019 - 2052 PM

Awesome, this Jester is more sinister than Michael Ironside himself

Seriously?!?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

#47 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

• Members
  • 54,655 posts

Posted 07 August 2019 - 0145 AM

Yes, many is the time ive wanted Jester court martialled for cowardice. I never had this trouble with Goose!

#48 Daan

Daan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,121 posts

Posted 10 August 2019 - 1140 AM

Chuck's guide for the F-14B is out, only 438 pages. ^_^

Chuck's guides are a great way for a beginner to get to grips with new DCS airplane without reading the often very dry manuals that come with each aircraft.

#49 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

• Members
  • 54,655 posts

Posted 10 August 2019 - 1147 AM

Yeah I was amazed by the work he put in that. Iran will be very appreciative. :)

#50 Daan

Daan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,121 posts

Posted 11 August 2019 - 0323 AM

(I did want to go further O/T in the other thread.)

Real women do not fly a pansy Harrier through a tunnel at 40 mph, but take a MiG-21bis:

#51 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

• Members
  • 54,655 posts

Posted 11 August 2019 - 0952 AM

Try doing that in a tomcat. It would get wedged even with the wings folded. :D

#52 Daan

Daan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,121 posts

Posted 11 August 2019 - 1152 AM

Yup, but real men fly a real manly plane.

Have you seen the F-14 sticks that Virpil will soon bring to the market?

VFX_01a-01.png

#53 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

• Members
  • 54,655 posts

Posted 11 August 2019 - 1213 PM

Oh, I'm so tempted.....

#54 Mr King

Mr King

Fat Body

• Members
  • 19,418 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 0225 AM

(I did want to go further O/T in the other thread.)

Real women do not fly a pansy Harrier through a tunnel at 40 mph, but take a MiG-21bis:

Wow I am impressed they modeled a whole tunnel like that. 

#55 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

• Members
  • 54,655 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 0235 AM

North Caucasus is a mixed bag. There are parts of it they have done really well, such as the tunnel and the dam as you see. But they have simplified part of it. Ive actually put in the Soviet Air Defence system of the region (what can I say, I was bored) and it was saddening to see how many map features they left out. Perhaps just as well, i get slowdowns in multiplayer as it is.

On the positive side, ive discovered GCI by ground based radar systems is possible in the Mig21. Im impressed, previously Id heard you had to have an AWAC's in play to make that work.

#56 Daan

Daan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,121 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 1223 PM

On the other hand, 'they'  also put a lot of extra features on the map, such as all the airfields and airbases. If you take a look at Google Earth, in reality these 'airbases' are little more than a collection of overgrown as well as broken slaps of concrete.

Edited by Daan, 12 August 2019 - 1224 PM.

#57 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

• Members
  • 54,655 posts

Posted 12 August 2019 - 1331 PM

Yeah there is one, Novorossiysk I think, that isn't even there anymore. They built a series of flats on it.

I wish they had a map editor. I really would like to get in on that.

Edited by Stuart Galbraith, 15 September 2019 - 0300 AM.

#58 Calvinb1nav

Calvinb1nav

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 554 posts

Posted 13 August 2019 - 0558 AM

I'd settle for the promised 3D object placement editing.  Such a pain to have to switch between the editor and the game to see if you have a plane, tank, etc. in the proper place and aligned correctly. 

#59 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

• Members
  • 54,655 posts

Posted 13 August 2019 - 0602 AM

Yes, that is pretty silly. One of the strange holdovers from Lockon and Flanker 2 I guess.

#60 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

• Members
  • 54,655 posts

Posted 15 September 2019 - 0301 AM

Eagle Dynamics have been posting training videos of their upcoming F16 DLC.

Edited by Stuart Galbraith, 15 September 2019 - 0311 AM.