3788 replies to this topic

#3781 Bob B

Bob B

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,987 posts

Posted 06 June 2018 - 1903 PM

Chris,

I have fired many thousands of rounds of the Greek .303 HXP Ball ammo through all sorts of firearms and have never had a problem with it.  Over here it is considered very good stuff and brings a premium price when it can be found.  Greek .30-06 Ball was even sold through the CMP for match shooting for a while.  There was a issue with craze cracking in No4 cadet rifles back in the 1980's but from what I understand  these were very worn rifles that were poorly maintained and the Governments involved thought it would be cheaper to ban firing live ammo in them, rather than inspect them.  I can remember seeing an article about this in Jane's weekly way back then.   Here is a link to a gun board discussion on the subject:  http://forums.gunboa...ld-quot-Warning

FWIW, I also miss seeing your under water photos ;)   I hope all is well,

Bob

#3782 Panzermann

Panzermann

REFORGER '79

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13,271 posts

Posted 10 June 2018 - 1056 AM

german-troops-of-the-6th-army-move-into-

Stalingrad late 1942

hauptmann-friedrich-winkler.jpg

Hauptmann Friedrich Winkler in Stalingrad.

I guess before his promotion, as he is a Oberleutnant obviously.

#3783 Olof Larsson

Olof Larsson

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,266 posts

Posted 10 June 2018 - 1422 PM

Wow. GIs were literally spraying and praying with their grease guns. :blink:

Well. Most .30 and .50 calibre machine guns were mounted on vehicles, that was not supposed to have to use them, and the almost all M1 Carbines and M1 Garand’s, were not used by people that were supposed to use them either, unless something went seriously wrong. Even on US rifle batalion level, only about half the M1 Garands and half of the .30 MG's were in rifle- and MG-sections and non of the .50-cals. The SMG's on the other hand, was issued only to those who needed them, i.e. people who were expected to use their guns.

#3784 Markus Becker

Markus Becker

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,620 posts

Posted 10 June 2018 - 1425 PM

Wow. GIs were literally spraying and praying with their grease guns. :blink:

Well. Most .30 and .50 calibre machine guns were mounted on vehicles, that was not supposed to have to use them, and the almost all M1 Carbines and M1 Garand’s, were not used by people that were supposed to use them either, unless something went seriously wrong. Even on US rifle batalion level, only about half the M1 Garands and half of the .30 MG's were in rifle- and MG-sections and non of the .50-cals. The SMG's on the other hand, was issued only to those who needed them, i.e. people who were expected to use their guns.

Interesting. Didn't the Soviets go "all submachine gun" too for their infantry?

#3785 chino

chino

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,161 posts
  • Interests:S2 Branch & Rifle Platoon Runner

Posted 11 June 2018 - 1216 PM

delete

Edited by chino, 11 June 2018 - 1220 PM.

#3786 Panzermann

Panzermann

REFORGER '79

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13,271 posts

Posted 15 June 2018 - 1222 PM

165800_r500.jpg

#3787 Panzermann

Panzermann

REFORGER '79

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13,271 posts

Posted 15 June 2018 - 1224 PM

b6h81rifcs311-398x600.jpg

Cody firearms museum has more old adverts:http://library.cente...im/order/nosort

Edited by Panzermann, 15 June 2018 - 1230 PM.

#3788 rmgill

rmgill

Strap-hanger

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,243 posts
  • Interests:WWII Armor, Ferrets, Dingos, Humbers, etc...

Posted 15 June 2018 - 1240 PM

Suppressors used to be something sold in cardboard boxes from the shelves of hardware stores.

#3789 Chris Werb

Chris Werb

In Zod We Trust

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,993 posts
  • Interests:But it's got electrolytes! They're what plants crave!

Posted 17 June 2018 - 1112 AM

Suppressors used to be something sold in cardboard boxes from the shelves of hardware stores.

Oddly, here literally anyone can buy, for example, a Finnish SAK .22LR silencer, that also works for .22WMR and .17HMR if you put up with a little flame cutting of the baffle (I did because they were a lot more compact than dedicated .17HMR cans). However, if you screw it onto an FAC rated air rifle or cartridge rifle it becomes a certificated item that you need to have on your FAC. This gets problematic should you have two of them in your cabinet, one for a rifle and one for a non certificated air rifle. They're not serial numbered....  It's a bit like the problem you have in the states that anyone can have an M1 carbine and anyone can have the conversion kit (which requires essentially zero gunsmithing) to turn it into an M2 - however, if law enforcement catch you with both and the rifle isn't a registered full auto, you have a problem. Give the selective fire kit to a neighbour to hold on to and you are fine.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users