• Please log in to reply
547 replies to this topic

#541 DougRichards

DougRichards

Doug Richards

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10,084 posts
  • Interests:Degree in History and Politics. Interests are Military History, military models,

Posted 18 February 2019 - 0255 AM

For an item of American equipment that can qualify as one of the best...

https://www.zazzle.c...163289018324420

I can't disagree with that at all.  I have one on my key ring.

Called the 'John Wayne' in the Marines.  I, too, still have one on my key ring.  The first one I picked up in 1975, it's almost spread flat.

A similar device in the Australian Defence Force (that I first met back in 1970) is called a FRED:  It has a spoon on the end, and the official title is 'Field Ration Eating Device'.  The unofficial nomenclature is Fucking Ridiculous Eating Device.

#542 Murph

Murph

Hierophant Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,482 posts

Posted 28 March 2019 - 1333 PM

And the ever popular tactical master George Armstrong Custer.

#543 Inhapi

Inhapi

Wielder of the Unicorn Hat

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 590 posts
  • Interests:Tanks, warships, polar exploration, ancient history,astronomy and space exploration,Ancient Egypt, harpsichords, Baroque and Classisist music, buying far too many books.

Posted 03 April 2019 - 1209 PM

Wellington was just 45 at Waterloo, Bonaparte was about the same age

Alexander was in his early 20's when he conquerored the known world. In his forties it would have been 'in a minute, im just going to have nap first. Yes, im aware the hedge needs cutting' etc etc.

Well, his dad was still a ferocious warrior at the age of 54, and preparing to invade Persia (boots were on the ground already inside the Achaemenid empire, he would probably follow soon) when murdered.

Caesar from his 51 to 56 th years fought a very intensive civil war against fellow Roman troops commanded by good generals, got himself into dire straits a few times (like fighting a in a civil war in Egypt with very few troops), casually defeated a large invading Pontic-Armenic army, quelled a mutiny amongst his veteran troops. Controlled Rome by writing letters while on campaign, forstered a child with Cleopatra VII, etc....   now that is some stamina.... I guess the man was done for the moment he could quitly settle in Rome with few things to do exept to try to hold on his power, i.e. when he had basically nothing to do, exept than trying to keep up the facade that he was absolutely NOT a dictator with unlimited powers....

Edited by Inhapi, 03 April 2019 - 1228 PM.

#544 Inhapi

Inhapi

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 590 posts
  • Interests:Tanks, warships, polar exploration, ancient history,astronomy and space exploration,Ancient Egypt, harpsichords, Baroque and Classisist music, buying far too many books.

Posted 03 April 2019 - 1226 PM

Wellington was just 45 at Waterloo, Bonaparte was about the same age

Bonaparte was a general at age 25, emperor at 35. His greatest victories were against generals much older than he was, and he had superior stamina for the campaigns.

The German Army on the Eastern front in 1941-45 found that the older generals could not keep their health in the primitive conditions therein.

It has been suggested that Napoleons lack of Stamina at Waterloo was one of the causes of his defeat. Some memoirs decribe him as a husk compared to the vigorous leader they knew before. On the other hand he did an impressive trip trough the Alps to get into France. So believe what you want....

#545 Inhapi

Inhapi

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 03 April 2019 - 1316 PM

A bit late in the discussion, but why did Bradley get his 5th star anyway ? I thought 5 stars was reserved for serious troubles (like in global war and total mobilisation...), or am I being naïve here ?

Edited by Inhapi, 03 April 2019 - 1317 PM.

#546 JWB

JWB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7,518 posts
  • Interests:everything (almost)

Posted 03 April 2019 - 1426 PM

A bit late in the discussion, but why did Bradley get his 5th star anyway ? I thought 5 stars was reserved for serious troubles (like in global war and total mobilisation...), or am I being naïve here ?

ISTR Truman wanted to prevent Monty from dominating.

#547 Ken Estes

Ken Estes

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14,726 posts
  • Interests:USMC Tanker, Historian

Posted 04 April 2019 - 1651 PM

Nap landed on the French Riviera between Cannes and Antibes [Gulfe Juan, specifically] and the road to Grenoble was not alpine. By then, Soult had surrendered and the 100 Days was on....

#548 Murph

Murph

Hierophant Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,482 posts

Posted 09 April 2019 - 0605 AM

Nap landed on the French Riviera between Cannes and Antibes [Gulfe Juan, specifically] and the road to Grenoble was not alpine. By then, Soult had surrendered and the 100 Days was on....

Almost the same place the Allies landed in WWII.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users