4373 replies to this topic

#4361 Jeff

Jeff

Drum beating laughing boy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,304 posts

Posted Yesterday, 02:00 PM

That I despair of the petty minded individuals in my own country that believe they can turn the country back to 1953 just by leaving the EU, dont imagine I have any less derision for the EU for taking what was at heart a fundamentally great idea, and turning it into a malfunctioning bureaucracy tended by moral Pygmy's.

I pity people who are so snake bit that they can't succeed as people or as nations and that they must continue to blame everyone and everything instead of actually working to make their nation better. That goes with a view that their nation cannot ever be better. 

You've given up. You have no hope and you don't WANT hope.

Exhibit A

Im really not a Brexiter, and im really not a Remainer. Im just one of the multitude that dont really care enough about either position, being dragged into an unwholesome mess by people that ought to know better.

Stuart, you're perfectly willing, scratch that, eager to give all of the decisions to your supposed betters but you're darned quick to then kibitz from the cheap seats at anything and everything they do. You want no responsibility to act to improve things, even just as a voter/citizen but you've made an art at complaining about others and stating it's over. Ryan is right, you don't want hope and you sure don't want the responsibility that comes with trying to help find and support solutions. You want others to wave a magic wand to make things better but you know that will never happen and you'll never accept it even if it does. You've found comfort in being the martyr and damn anyone who points out the fallacy. Don't give up. The UK shouldn't give up. Don't embrace the suck and wear it as a mantle of superior status. To get corny, Do not go gentle into that good night... Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

#4362 rmgill

rmgill

Strap-hanger

• Members
  • 22,781 posts
  • Interests:WWII Armor, Ferrets, Dingos, Humbers, etc...

Posted Yesterday, 08:10 PM

Jeff, just so.

Stuart wibbled:

"Tell you want, let our Ghosts return here about 2200 or so, and you can lecture me about how you were right, and ill happily eat humble pie."

Stuart, look at what folks were saying about the US economy THREE years ago. They said that 1-2% GDP growth was the best we could hope for. Similar things were said about energy. 3 years later, with Trump in office pushing an advancing concept of our nation, and the US GDP growth is better than it was under Obama. 

I don't want to be right. I don't want the UK to be a backwater nation with the economic drive of a nation like Greece. I want it to grab ahold of it's history, put on it's boots again and get out and LIVE. 

Do you want to be right? Do you want the UK to be another Greece? A has been nation that can't go anywhere but slowly further down the drain? 

#4363 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

Just Another Salisbury Tourist

• Members
  • 49,993 posts

Posted Today, 03:19 AM

That I despair of the petty minded individuals in my own country that believe they can turn the country back to 1953 just by leaving the EU, dont imagine I have any less derision for the EU for taking what was at heart a fundamentally great idea, and turning it into a malfunctioning bureaucracy tended by moral Pygmy's.

I pity people who are so snake bit that they can't succeed as people or as nations and that they must continue to blame everyone and everything instead of actually working to make their nation better. That goes with a view that their nation cannot ever be better. 

You've given up. You have no hope and you don't WANT hope.

Exhibit A

Im really not a Brexiter, and im really not a Remainer. Im just one of the multitude that dont really care enough about either position, being dragged into an unwholesome mess by people that ought to know better.

Stuart, you're perfectly willing, scratch that, eager to give all of the decisions to your supposed betters but you're darned quick to then kibitz from the cheap seats at anything and everything they do. You want no responsibility to act to improve things, even just as a voter/citizen but you've made an art at complaining about others and stating it's over. Ryan is right, you don't want hope and you sure don't want the responsibility that comes with trying to help find and support solutions. You want others to wave a magic wand to make things better but you know that will never happen and you'll never accept it even if it does. You've found comfort in being the martyr and damn anyone who points out the fallacy. Don't give up. The UK shouldn't give up. Don't embrace the suck and wear it as a mantle of superior status. To get corny, Do not go gentle into that good night... Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

1 I said Britain would vote for Brexit even though I thought it was a bad idea. I was right.

2 I said that I was against Brexit, because I didnt think British Politicians were smart enough to engineer something that worked. I was right.

3 I said I didnt think the EU was any better at negotiating a deal because they would want to screw us. I was right.

4 I said I thought we would have a hard Brexit, because I didnt see any way the conflicting demands of the EU and the Brexit voters could be correlated. And as each week goes on, im looking more and more as if I might be right.

I apologize if this looks like im being boastful, but there is no condemning from the cheap seats here. When politicians only discover something when they crash into it, when you can clearly see it emerging as a problem weeks, months before, dont they deserve to be condemned? There was not one part of this dog and pony show from both sides of the channel that couldn't be predicted, even the Irish border problem. Who was listening? We all got condemned as 'remoaners' whenever we pointed out the fly in the immaculate soup they concocting. Now the Chiefs of Brexit have all run to the hills, and we are the one who have to drink the abortion they cooked up.

Its a mess, it was always going to be a mess, and I for one am getting a bit tired at having the finger pointed for having the wherewithal to be mostly right that it would be.

We wont give up and we cant give up, and we will have a hard Brexit. And I hope when the economy flatlines, as personally I think it will, I hope a few people will pipe up and give due credit to the people that said this would do more harm than good. There is absolutely nothing to cheer here, I wish people would try to understand that rather than put some kind of post factual gloss on some very grim events. Its like putting lipstick on a corpse.

Edited by Stuart Galbraith, Today, 03:21 AM.

#4364 Ssnake

Ssnake

Virtual Shiva Beast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5,995 posts
  • Interests:Contemporary armor - tactics and technology

Posted Today, 04:38 AM

There is absolutely nothing to cheer here

We are in perfect agreement on this, FWIW.

#4365 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

• Members
  • 49,993 posts

Posted Today, 04:46 AM

Cheers Nil's.

Maybe you can send food parcels if it gets really grim? :)

#4366 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

• Members
  • 49,993 posts

Posted Today, 05:41 AM

This looks promising.

https://www.msn.com/...Klzg?li=BBoPWjQ

Chuka Umunna led a group of Labour MPs in quitting the party over Jeremy Corbyn's handling of Brexit and claims of anti-Semitism.

The group, including Luciana Berger stood down today and formed a "new group of independent MPs" in a protest over "the future of British politics" in a significant party split.

The MPs who quit Labour are: Chuka Umunna, Luciana Berger, Chris Leslie, Ann Coffey, Angela Smith, Gavin Shuker and Mike Gapes.

The group announced in a statement: "We are leaving the Labour Party to sit as the Independent Group of Members of Parliament.

"Our primary duty as Members of Parliament is to put the best interests of our constituents and our country first. Yet like so many others, we believe that none of today’s political parties are fit to provide the leadership and direction needed by our country. 

BREAKING: Chuka Umunna, Luciana Berger, Gavin Shuker, Mike Gapes, Chris Leslie, Angela Smith and Anne Coffey announce they have resigned from the Labour Party, will sit as independent group in Parliament. pic.twitter.com/zWqagHJ0UO

— Kevin Schofield (@PolhomeEditor) February 18, 2019

"Our aim is to pursue policies that are evidence-based, not led by ideology, taking a long-term perspective to the challenges of the 21st century in the national interest, rather than locked in the old politics of the 20th century in the party’s interests.

"As an Independent Group we aim to recognise the value of healthy debate, show tolerance towards different opinions and seek to reach across outdated divides and build consensus to tackle Britain’s problems."

They are angry over leader Jeremy Corbyn's approach to Brexit and his lack of progress on tackling accusations of anti-Semitism within Labour.

Rees Mogg has poured cold war on this as insignificant, but in truth 7 is quite a considerable chunk of the 11 the ulster unions bring to the Conservative party. If they can be coopted, and possibly a few more bought off via independents and other Labour MP's, then May has suddenly got a chance of getting the deal through. Or, possibly if there is a group from the Conservatives large enough that forms with them, they can form a rump that might be enough to intimidate the Conservative or Lab our leadership to get a deal through. I feel the price of that will likely be a second referendum though.

We shall see. We have of course seen splinter groups from the Labour Party that have gone nowhere before (such as the SDP). But these are of course different times, and they dont need to be electrorialy successful. As with UKIP, they dont necessarily need lots of seats to drive the political debate.

#4367 Simon Tan

Simon Tan

• Members
  • 22,975 posts
  • Interests:tanks. More tanks. Guns. BIG GUNs!

Posted Today, 05:42 AM

Are we there yet?

#4368 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

• Members
  • 49,993 posts

Posted Today, 05:44 AM

No, cross your legs.

#4369 Ssnake

Ssnake

Virtual Shiva Beast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5,995 posts
  • Interests:Contemporary armor - tactics and technology

Posted Today, 08:46 AM

I will spare no effort to get you all the Surströmning that you deserve.

I will, however, campaign for an EU wide import ban on Marmite, on grounds of human rights or whatever.

Edited by Ssnake, Today, 08:49 AM.

#4370 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

• Members
  • 49,993 posts

Posted Today, 08:59 AM

I will spare no effort to get you all the Surströmning that you deserve.

I will, however, campaign for an EU wide import ban on Marmite, on grounds of human rights or whatever.

Quite right too. The CWC should put it on the same banned list as Novichok. Which to be fair to the Russians, is not nearly as spreadable.

#4371 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

• Members
  • 49,993 posts

Posted Today, 10:26 AM

https://news.sky.com...actory-11641154
Honda to stun ministers with closure of Swindon factory
The Japanese carmaker is expected to disclose plans to close its Swindon plant in 2022, Sky News can reveal.

Honda is preparing to announce the closure of its factory in Swindon, dealing a devastating blow both to its 3,500-strong workforce and ministers' hopes that the UK will remain an elite manufacturing economy after Brexit.

Sky News has learnt that the Japanese car manufacturer could disclose the plan as soon as Tuesday morning.

A Honda spokesman did not return calls seeking comment on Monday.

If confirmed, the move will represent a further savage blow to Britain's automotive sector amid enormous uncertainty surrounding the terms of future trade with the European Union.

A source close to Honda said the company was expected to close its plant in Swindon in 2022, although the company will retain its European headquarters in Bracknell, Berkshire, as well as its Formula One racing team operations in the UK.

#4372 seahawk

seahawk

military loving leftist peace monkey

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,659 posts

Posted Today, 10:59 AM

Trade deals in Asia might not going too smooth.

https://www.theguard...fox-jeremy-hunt

#4373 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

• Members
  • 49,993 posts

Posted Today, 11:06 AM

Apparently Chancellor Hammond was all set for a junket to the PRC to drum up trade, when Gavin Williamson made the comment about sailing HMS Queen Elizabeth through the South China sea in 2021. Whereupon the Chinese withdrew their offer to invite him.

Try as I might, im still siding with Williamson on this one. Partly because I dont want to see us selling out to Communists, mainly because I detest Hammond. Needless to say the knives are now out for Williamson, which would be a shame as he has been the best defence secretary we have had in decades. British politicians dislike competence as a rule.

As it says, Fox has also been having trouble getting trade deals. Apparently our new found independent position has meant the sharks are circling and expecting really open trade deals that are not necessarily to our benefit. Which of course should not be a surprise, at least to anyone that wasnt drinking the Brexit Kool aid.

#4374 rmgill

rmgill

Strap-hanger

• Members
  • 22,781 posts
  • Interests:WWII Armor, Ferrets, Dingos, Humbers, etc...

Posted Today, 11:50 AM

Why worry about the trade deals? What's more important is if women football players make as much as their male 'peers'. 

Edited by rmgill, Today, 11:50 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users