4050 replies to this topic

#3961 DB

DB

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11,311 posts

Posted 25 January 2017 - 0858 AM

The last sentence rings so true. Hyperbole out of hand.

#3962 Skywalkre

Skywalkre

Garry F!@#$%g Owen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8,872 posts

Posted 06 February 2017 - 1440 PM

Latest SB changes.  Was surprised to see quite a bit of optimism about the stun mechanic from comments over in the WoT subreddit.  I'm guessing it's from folks who aren't in the SB because when they had this last summer it wasn't any better.  It was just a lateral shift in suckage.

Again... there's no saving arty.  Needs to be canned, plain and simple.

#3963 Paul G.

Paul G.

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8,660 posts

Posted 07 February 2017 - 1056 AM

my biggest criticisms.

1. very little incentive to play tier X.   its expensive and you can only improve the crew scores. It should really unlock some play feature not available to Tier 1-9, with greater risk - rewards.

2. too few maps.  They get very repetitive quickly.  WG seems to have slashed the maps tremendously, with very few new ones.  Good players are good because they know the maps.  I would rather take vastly more mediocre maps, that would mean players were good because of actual skills and teamwork rather than intimate map knowledge.

3. scouts should have some additional feature, like a partnership with arty.  Make them dependent on each other.  make stealthy scouting  and designating targets for arty a bonus feature as to dissuade suicide scouting and race tracking. Scout designated targets are say more accurate for arty, and scouts get an additional bonus for it. 

#3964 Skywalkre

Skywalkre

Garry F!@#$%g Owen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8,872 posts

Posted 07 February 2017 - 1936 PM

my biggest criticisms.

1. very little incentive to play tier X.   its expensive and you can only improve the crew scores. It should really unlock some play feature not available to Tier 1-9, with greater risk - rewards.

2. too few maps.  They get very repetitive quickly.  WG seems to have slashed the maps tremendously, with very few new ones.  Good players are good because they know the maps.  I would rather take vastly more mediocre maps, that would mean players were good because of actual skills and teamwork rather than intimate map knowledge.

3. scouts should have some additional feature, like a partnership with arty.  Make them dependent on each other.  make stealthy scouting  and designating targets for arty a bonus feature as to dissuade suicide scouting and race tracking. Scout designated targets are say more accurate for arty, and scouts get an additional bonus for it. 

1 - They really dropped the ball with their end-game by effectively not having it as time moved on.  I actually thought their system of income being maxed around mid tiers was brilliant so it incentivized players to still play there occasionally (something AW, assuming it ever takes off, is going to struggle with).  The problem that started to arise by the time I quit was more and more 'end-game' content was happening at mid tiers instead of top.  SHs were big about the time I quit and the best tier to play at was 6... which made no sense.  CW, too, was dying off and that was the only reason I ever jumped in tier 10s given the cost of running them.

What should have happened was that actual, meaningful rewards should have only come out of tier 10.  CW, SH, tournies (with anything decent) should have all been up there.  It sounds like the only reason to play 10s now is so you can guarantee you're top tier and given the expenses it's just not worth it.

2 - From hearing all the troubles AW has had (and from seeing next to nothing meaningful done by WoT over the years) I think we're going to have to wait for a technological breakthrough (as in some process of turning satellite imagery quickly into playable maps) for this to change.

I've heard part of the push towards fewer maps might be inspired by the MOBA community.  There you basically have one map thus even new players can learn all the quirks quickly and then it just comes down to how you play your hero there (or tank in WoT's case).

3 - Something like this makes great sense in AW given the tech levels.  In WoT that means arty is still around and that's a huge turnoff to me.  The simplest 'fix' to scouts is simply working the formulas for XP and credits.  If you scout and your team takes advantage of it you should be rewarded.  But having those vehicles in the game means scouting is all they should do.  If you make them offensively capable you get a situation like around the time I quit where at mid tiers mediums were useless because 'scouts' did everything they did better plus more.

#3965 nexus6

nexus6

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 609 posts

Posted 22 February 2017 - 0918 AM

cool so they are implimenting something i suggested a few years ago. at this rate in 10-15 years the game might no longer be a complete pile of shit.

#3966 Colin

Colin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,949 posts

Posted 26 March 2017 - 2245 PM

Odd it seems WOT often causes my router to crash, seems I am not alone either?

#3967 Skywalkre

Skywalkre

Garry F!@#$%g Owen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8,872 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 1254 PM

Might be time to reinstall the Sandbox server...

Some concern just from watching the vid, though.  First, it's still bad WoT gameplay (arty and corridor maps... yay).  Second, Jingles was raving about Global Ops in AW (which this game mode for WoT is somewhat similar to) and how it would save AW... except it didn't and days after that went live AW was once again a ghost town.  Third, how the hell does a map this big work with the huge disparity in mobility you find in WoT tanks?  Fourth, the bit at the end about the economy sounds like either not much thought was put into that or it's just another attempt at players sinking money (because you'll need a premium account to be able to play it).

#3968 Skywalkre

Skywalkre

Garry F!@#$%g Owen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8,872 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 1439 PM

So... Jingles was right about a lot.  The first part of the map is corridor heaven.  I also lost 150k credits in my first game despite doing ok (my damage out was just under damage taken).

Also... arty is cancer.  Fuck Russians for valuing gameplay where annoyance and trolling trumps everything else.  Gold rounds are also still an issue (let me angle my armor... oh wait, money > game knowledge).

Still... there's a lot of promise here. 

I figured the games must be like 30 minutes long.  Instead you have a timer of around 10m to start.  Once you capture the intermediate objectives the game adds something like 90s to the timer.  This is actually a brilliant system because if your team is garbage you don't have to waste 20m of your life like you do in WoWs.  It's over fairly quick.  It's also a brilliant approach because you're always fighting against that clock.  There's no camping or slow pushing.  You have to be aggressive and stay aggressive and that's a good thing.

I was able to play about half the game in an E-100.  While I was slow I was still fast enough to push for about half the game.  After I finally died in it (it was a purposeful choice as the repair area was too far back) I basically had to take mediums the rest of the way.

It has potential and unlike previous iterations of the SB this potential isn't there on accident.

#3969 Skywalkre

Skywalkre

Garry F!@#$%g Owen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8,872 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 1517 PM

Kind of annoying.  There seems to be something in play where if you push too far into enemy lines it either kicks you out or at least has a really annoying popup in the middle of your screen.  I was trying to flank some meds on a ridge in my medium and the bloody thing was blaring at me as I pushed into enemy territory.  Really lame if they won't let meds and lights push in and kick cancer's ass.  :glare:

They're going to have to do something about the economy fast.  At the rate I'm losing credits I won't be able to play but for a few days.  :blink:

#3970 Skywalkre

Skywalkre

Garry F!@#$%g Owen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8,872 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 1600 PM

The 'too far in enemy territory' popup may light you up even if not spotted.  Whenever it's happened I'm suddenly taking fire from every direction even though I'm in a med with camo and running optics.

Another good thing they implemented was if you die too fast you have to wait a certain amount of time to get back in.  No charging, dying, charging again, ad nauseum like in GO in AW.  In what I've played this game mode is much better than GO.  Too bad it's hitched to the shitty game mechanics of WoT.

Edit: Went 4-1 on the day.  Won via attack, defense, and at the end from keeping the attacker from even capturing a single landing zone (so it ended up being a short game which was nice).

All in all it's a game mode that shows a lot of promise.  Unfortunately, as mentioned above, it's tied to WoT mechanics.  :glare:

Edited by Skywalkre, 12 April 2017 - 1629 PM.

#3971 Stefan Fredriksson

Stefan Fredriksson

Goldmember

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,072 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 2354 PM

Seeing the video, this is possibly one thing that could cause me to try Wot again.
But as mentioned by Skywalkre, if only tier 10, economy will stop me from playing.

Still, looks really fun and promising. Cool thing about the timers, I did not see that in the video.

#3972 TonyE

TonyE

I/Kitsap Militia

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5,481 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 0702 AM

Some good things here, the concept of larger/longer battles and "respawning" multiple times with different vehicles from the garage is interesting. Thanks to Skywalker for testing and reporting back too. But....the corridors and artillery.......

#3973 FlyingCanOpener

FlyingCanOpener

Kakistocrat

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9,136 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 0858 AM

I will not reinstall WoT.

Been clean for almost a year now. Need to stay that way. :)

#3974 Skywalkre

Skywalkre

Garry F!@#$%g Owen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8,872 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 1145 AM

Some good things here, the concept of larger/longer battles and "respawning" multiple times with different vehicles from the garage is interesting. Thanks to Skywalker for testing and reporting back too. But....the corridors and artillery.......

This.

When I stopped playing yesterday it wasn't because I was tired of the game mode.  I was enjoying it.  Rather, I was tired of the same 'ol BS mechanics and design choices that plague WoT and finally drove me to uninstall almost 3 years ago.

#3975 Mistral

Mistral

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,497 posts

Posted 27 April 2017 - 1126 AM

I just played five games in my M12 to see the arty changes, whoever thought that this is a nerf has not played it.  I was top player in exp in three of the five and in the top 5 in the rest.

In the hands of a good player with the faster rate of fire an arty or two on your side can be a game changer.  Before you could just ruin the game for a couple of players at most. :)

#3976 Skywalkre

Skywalkre

Garry F!@#$%g Owen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8,872 posts

Posted 27 April 2017 - 1214 PM

A coordinated group of arty (a plt or just good players) can also stun-lock a single tank (or multiple tanks if in a choke point) with no ability for said player(s) to get out of it.  Straight up garbage redesign that was evident last year on the SB.

The one and only right answer to the problem with arty is still to get rid of them, period.

#3977 bojan

bojan

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11,700 posts

Posted 27 April 2017 - 1559 PM

A coordinated group of arty (a plt or just good players)...

Arty can no longer join any kind of plt.

#3978 Skywalkre

Skywalkre

Garry F!@#$%g Owen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8,872 posts

Posted 27 April 2017 - 1934 PM

Doesn't stop arty from coordinating together once in a game.  Given the corridor nature of so many maps it's possible to be effectively perma-stunned by chance as well.

#3979 bojan

bojan

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11,700 posts

Posted 27 April 2017 - 1938 PM

Being stunned is not the end of it all, you suffer something like 25% to effectiveness, but...

#3980 Colin

Colin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,949 posts

Posted 27 April 2017 - 2002 PM

I find the changes actually makes arty playable for more people and is actually an improvement

Reply to this topic