10 replies to this topic

#1 Paul in Qatar

Paul in Qatar

The Ilk of Human Kindness

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8,509 posts

Posted 26 November 2007 - 0854 AM

Over here is a little slide show of a wall at some in-theatre airbase covered with graffiti by soldiers waiting to go here or there. Some interesting stuff, some not so much. Worth a look.

#2 TheMuffinKing

TheMuffinKing

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 178 posts

Posted 26 November 2007 - 0909 AM

Over here is a little slide show of a wall at some in-theatre airbase covered with graffiti by soldiers waiting to go here or there. Some interesting stuff, some not so much. Worth a look.

Fascinating stuff. I remember seeing those while TDY there and transiting through. Too bad they didn't get any of my wall contributions.

Edited by TheMuffinKing, 26 November 2007 - 0909 AM.

#3 Paul in Qatar

Paul in Qatar

The Ilk of Human Kindness

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8,509 posts

Posted 26 November 2007 - 0925 AM

Reflecting on it a few minutes, I have some observations.

-Few people wrote over other people's writing.
-At least some officers wrote their names.
-Nobody defaced anyone's unit insignia.
-Lots of unit pride.
-No sexual nastiness.

#4 T19

T19

Love Life, hate Taxes

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,577 posts
  • Interests:Tanks, computers, Military History

Posted 26 November 2007 - 0939 AM

There was a show on the History Channel about the Canadian tunnels under Vimy...seems a lot of guys carved thier names in the chalk walls as well as the unit badges of a number of units... some parts have not been seen since 1917

#5 Doug Kibbey

Doug Kibbey

Self Absorbed Nostalgia Monger

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11,496 posts

Posted 26 November 2007 - 1001 AM

I have a book at home, that I believe originated as a TV special on Discovery or something, documenting graffiti on transport ships ferrying troops to Vietnam (not all of them went by air as I did). This was discovered years after the fact in the "Ghost Fleet" IIRC, and they photographed the examples spanning years from bulkheads, bunks, canvas mattressess, lockers, etc. The passage of time between the writing and the discovery and of course, the "baggage" of that conflict makes for some pretty heavy reading.

#6 Jim Martin

Jim Martin

Kick me! I'm not allowed to hit back!

• Members
  • 23,552 posts

Posted 04 December 2007 - 1807 PM

While working in the butts on the Parris Island rifle range, my fellow recruits & I spent our brief free time reading some of the graffiti covering the walls of the butts. Recruits had left writing on the walls going all the way back to the '50's. Many of the guys who put their names etc up there went to VN or elsewhere, never to return.

Naturally, I had to put my own moniker up there, and many of my fellow recruits did as well.

Our DI's demanded to know who had written on the walls of the butts afterward (I'm sure they had no proof of anyone, but everyone does it). I got a nasty session in the pit after stepping forward. Ah well, it was worth it. My legs don't hurt anymore, the sweat's long since been washed off, but my name is still on that wall in the company of all those other Marines...

#7 shep854

shep854

• Members
  • 20,142 posts
  • Interests:Military History, Aviation

Posted 09 January 2008 - 0736 AM

A graffiti imponderable: How long does it take for graffiti to go from vandalism to artifact? I'm sure someone took exception to Ug's cave drawings back when... ;)

#8 ShotMagnet

ShotMagnet

Intercalating

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4,727 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 1437 PM

Depends on how exposed to the elements the candidate graffito is. The Lascaux cave paintings have been around for ca. 35,000 years.

There are some graffiti on the walls of some POW cells at Beale AFB (back when Beale was home to an armored division). Some Germans had been sent there, and had proceeded to decorate accordingly. The cells are kind of exposed, as I recall. They have a roof, but rain and whatever can still blow in. Maybe they're routinely refurbished, but there's still graffiti on those walls.

Went on a tour of the dungeon that is part of the Tower of London. There's graffiti of a sort, though it's carved rather than applied as paint or graphite, and it's several hundred years old. Maybe refurbished periodically as well?

On the other hand, I recall reading that there's still a quantity of original graffiti on tombs suburban to some former Roman cities. Still legible, not refurbished.

Shot

#9 KingSargent

KingSargent

Fill your hand you shummabysh!

• Members
  • 25,921 posts
  • Interests:History, weapons.

Posted 03 February 2008 - 1948 PM

Just noticed this.

Does anybody besides me know where the cartoon girl in photo #11 is from?

#10 Ariete!

Ariete!

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,034 posts

Posted 29 March 2008 - 1013 AM

Bottom left corner of picture n. 08; note the Jayhawks reference!!! Go Big Blue!!

I hope whoever penned that is fine and well and at home drinking a cold one in the Midwest

Edited by Ariete!, 29 March 2008 - 1013 AM.

#11 Archie Pellagio

Archie Pellagio

Now flouridating a water source near YOU!

• Members
  • 15,224 posts
  • Interests:Vermonter global conquest rampages!

Posted 12 June 2008 - 2219 PM

An interesting reflection on the army of today, anime, some quite whitty ones (the tourist poster parodies)

Whats with the Kazakh thing?

Reply to this topic

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users