35 replies to this topic

#1 Dawes

Dawes

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,642 posts

Posted 12 July 2019 - 0904 AM

LMT makes a quality firearm, although certainly not cheap. Were any European manufacturers involved in this competition?

http://www.kaitsemin...-defence-forces

#2 shep854

shep854

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,511 posts

Posted 13 July 2019 - 0718 AM

Review of a civilian model (semi only):

#3 Chris Werb

Chris Werb

In Zod We Trust

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11,002 posts

Posted 13 July 2019 - 0724 AM

Are LMT significantly better than other US AR manufacturers or do they just have a very good marketing department? Another prestigious LMT contract(s):

https://www.youtube....h?v=Ij7b1te6LHo

#4 Dawes

Dawes

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,642 posts

Posted 13 July 2019 - 0845 AM

LMT's reputation seems to be right alongside Knight's Armament as premier AR manufacturers.

#5 bd1

bd1

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,179 posts

Posted 13 July 2019 - 1123 AM

they offered a REALLY good price, others were HK and SIG. 

https://www.thefirea...opts-lmt-rifle/

sig asked 27,5 million eur and HK 45 mil. 

#6 Dawes

Dawes

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,642 posts

Posted 13 July 2019 - 1152 AM

Considering that their factory is in Iowa, I would think that their overhead is lower.

#7 Simon Tan

Simon Tan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13,149 posts

Posted 15 July 2019 - 0410 AM

LMT has been good for quite a while. Their bolt carrier group is actually an improvement and their monolithic upper receiver avoids having either canted handguards or front sight bases. You pay more of course. The LMT SOPMOD stock is a bit heavy and spensive compared to Magpul MOE and MOE SL. They are a good supplier for .mil who don't have much ability to procure and maintain their owns ARs from commercial sources. Shoulda gone with DI for everyone but SF.

Edited by Simon Tan, 15 July 2019 - 0411 AM.

#8 shep854

shep854

• Members
  • 20,511 posts

Posted 15 July 2019 - 0756 AM

LMT has been good for quite a while. Their bolt carrier group is actually an improvement and their monolithic upper receiver avoids having either canted handguards or front sight bases. You pay more of course. The LMT SOPMOD stock is a bit heavy and spensive compared to Magpul MOE and MOE SL. They are a good supplier for .mil who don't have much ability to procure and maintain their owns ARs from commercial sources. Shoulda gone with DI for everyone but SF.

They deserve special credit for being able to ramp their production to the level required for even small militaries while maintaining quality.  Definitely bucking the trend.

Edited by shep854, 15 July 2019 - 0756 AM.

#9 Chris Werb

Chris Werb

In Zod We Trust

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11,002 posts

Posted 15 July 2019 - 1301 PM

The US civil market is vastly bigger than any World military.

#10 shep854

shep854

• Members
  • 20,511 posts

Posted 15 July 2019 - 1426 PM

Not as much a people think.  The US civilian market is saturated and low-margin.  For a new brand and model to break in is tough, especially with the AR pattern.  Throw in the dominance of the military market by the likes of FN, HK, Colt (not so much maybe, but they have weight) and a few others, and the deck is heavily stacked--there are far more failures than successes.

#11 Simon Tan

Simon Tan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13,149 posts

Posted 16 July 2019 - 1039 AM

You have no idea of the actual industrial complex that supports all this. The 'name' companies are not the elephants. Ruger has over a dozen cold hammer forging machines.

#12 Markus Becker

Markus Becker

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,998 posts

Posted 17 July 2019 - 1035 AM

CHF is ideal for turning out a lot of barrels at a modest price, isn't it? So half a dozen must be 'a lot'. They sell the barrels to others too?

#13 Panzermann

Panzermann

REFORGER '79

• Members
  • 16,648 posts

Posted 17 July 2019 - 1541 PM

CHF is ideal for turning out a lot of barrels at a modest price, isn't it? So half a dozen must be 'a lot'. They sell the barrels to others too?

As with most big industrial processes the tooling ios really expensive, but gets cheap when spread over large numbers. And yes Ruger sub-contracts for other firms. Just like FN does to utilize their machines. Heck FN had to introduce button rifling processes for the Pentagon contract, because they won't take cold-hammer forged.

#14 shep854

shep854

• Members
  • 20,511 posts

Posted 17 July 2019 - 2140 PM

Ruger mastered injection molding, but I dont think they have CHF. From what Ive heard, FN is the primary US source of forged barrels.

#15 wendist

wendist

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 693 posts

Posted 18 July 2019 - 0237 AM

Is this what you guys are talking about?

#16 shep854

shep854

• Members
  • 20,511 posts

Posted 18 July 2019 - 0802 AM

Thanks, wendist!  Always happy to learn. :D

#17 GregShaw

GregShaw

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,152 posts

Posted 18 July 2019 - 1141 AM

Interesting video, seen it before I believe. Unfortunately Ruger has never been well regarded for accurate barrels, and the hammer forged don't seem to have improved on their rep. I suspect the sole advantage of hammer forging is it's cheaper (and faster) once the initial investment for the machinery has been paid off. I'd take a broached (button) or cut rifling barrel over chf everytime, I have air gauged button rifled barrels on all my match AR uppers, the A2 has about 2500 rds and still shoots better than the 3/4 MOA I'm capable of when slung up prone. The Broached barrels will probably require a stress relieving and barrel straightening steps, and cut rifling is by its nature slow requiring multiple passes to cut the grooves. 

https://www.youtube....h?v=sBkrg7JMGdw

#18 Markus Becker

Markus Becker

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,998 posts

Posted 18 July 2019 - 1502 PM

There is a company called Daniel Defence that's also making CHF barrels. I recall a YouTuber saying they do quality work.

#19 Chris Werb

Chris Werb

In Zod We Trust

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11,002 posts

Posted 18 July 2019 - 1641 PM

You have no idea of the actual industrial complex that supports all this. The 'name' companies are not the elephants. Ruger has over a dozen cold hammer forging machines.

What I find staggering are the sheer numbers involved. These figures are for manufacture only - they don't include imports, which must still be significant in some categories.

#20 Simon Tan

Simon Tan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13,149 posts

Posted 19 July 2019 - 0507 AM

Price point. Unless you and your ammo can shoot to the accuracy of the barrel, it's moot. 2MOA is fine for social work.