#1 Corinthian

Corinthian

Stone Age Bitter Delusional Retard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,057 posts
  • Interests:Wholesome stuff.

Posted 09 April 2017 - 0042 AM

Bataan has fallen. The Philippine-American troops on this war-ravaged and bloodstained peninsula have laid down their arms. With heads bloody but unbowed, they have yielded to the superior force and numbers of the enemy.

The world will long remember the epic struggle that Filipino and American soldiers put up in the jungle fastness and along the rugged coast of Bataan. They have stood up uncomplaining under the constant and grueling fire of the enemy for more than three months. Besieged on land and blockaded by sea, cut off from all sources of help in the Philippines and in America, the intrepid fighters have done all that human endurance could bear.

For what sustained them through all these months of incessant battle was a force that was more than merely physical. It was the force of an unconquerable faith—something in the heart and soul that physical hardship and adversity could not destroy. It was the thought of native land and all that it holds most dear, the thought of freedom and dignity and pride in these most priceless of all our human prerogatives.

The adversary, in the pride of his power and triumph, will credit our troops with nothing less than the courage and fortitude that his own troops have shown in battle. Our men have fought a brave and bitterly contested struggle. All the world will testify to the most superhuman endurance with which they stood up until the last in the face of overwhelming odds.

But the decision had to come. Men fighting under the banner of unshakable faith are made of something more than flesh, but they are not made of impervious steel. The flesh must yield at last, endurance melts away, and the end of the battle must come.

Bataan has fallen, but the spirit that made it stand—a beacon to all the liberty-loving peoples of the world—cannot fall!

- Voice of Freedom, radio broadcast from Malinta Tunnel, Fort Mills (aka Corregidor), 9 April 1942

Mt. Samat, Bataan

P1080027%201920%20x%201440.jpg

Shrine of Valor (Dambana ng Kagitingan) on top of Mt. Samat

P1080193%201920%20x%201440.jpg

P1080177_1.jpg  P1080178_1.jpg

P1080179_1.jpg  P1080180_1.jpg

P1080181_1.jpg  P1080182_1.jpg

Edited by Corinthian, 09 April 2017 - 0057 AM.

#2 JasonJ

JasonJ

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7,679 posts

Posted 09 April 2017 - 0153 AM

Great pictures and amazing memorial shrine. It's a worthy shrine dedicated to the soldiers that fought for the Philippines in this battle.

#3 sunday

sunday

Bronze-age right-wing delusional retard

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10,161 posts
  • Interests:Technology, History

Posted 09 April 2017 - 0549 AM

A date that should be remembered, indeed.

And my thanks to Corinthian for the great tour he organized, and I enjoyed, during my recent visit to the PH. We enjoyed one day in the roads of Bataan, down to Mariveles, then to Mount Samar, and next day we went to Isla del Corregidor, and got to visit a good portion of the island, plus the side tunnels of Malinta tunnel.

The Cross at Mt. Samar shrine looks a bit like the one in the Spanish Valle de los Caídos, BTW.

Valle_de_los_caidos_by_forcy-cruz_fronta

#4 JasonJ

JasonJ

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7,679 posts

Posted 09 April 2017 - 0831 AM

The resemblance of the two memorial designs is undeniable. Sunday, your trip sounds great. I reckon Corinthian's pictures are from the same tour day. Thanks for sharing :)

#5 Corinthian

Corinthian

• Members
  • 21,057 posts

Posted 09 April 2017 - 1348 PM

Yep, pix posted were from our trip last February.

If you come over to visit, I'd show you around. :)

#6 JasonJ

JasonJ

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7,679 posts

Posted 09 April 2017 - 1450 PM

I'll probably accept that offer, I'll let you know :)

#7 Corinthian

Corinthian

• Members
  • 21,057 posts

Posted 09 April 2017 - 1546 PM

Death March, Mariveles starting point -

P1070998.jpg

P1070996.jpg

#8 Corinthian

Corinthian

• Members
  • 21,057 posts

Posted 09 April 2017 - 1550 PM

I'll probably accept that offer, I'll let you know :)

Give me months of advance notice so I can save up on my vacation leaves :D

#9 JasonJ

JasonJ

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7,679 posts

Posted 10 April 2017 - 0807 AM

No problem. I already have my traveling plans this year laid out. So it'll have to wait until sometime next year. So please show me around at that time. I'll be looking forward to it. I have a few ideas about when I can go. I'll make an initial contact with you about it again 6-12 months in advance :)

#10 Corinthian

Corinthian

• Members
  • 21,057 posts

Posted 10 April 2017 - 1450 PM

Excellent.

#11 sunday

sunday

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10,161 posts

Posted 11 April 2017 - 1218 PM

And for the love of God, JasonJ, do not book a hotel in Manila city center, unless you are going to visit only Manila.

#12 JasonJ

JasonJ

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7,679 posts

Posted 11 April 2017 - 1233 PM

It seems like he's going to take me on a tour beyond Manila so I best take that advice :)

#13 Ken Estes

Ken Estes

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14,028 posts
  • Interests:USMC Tanker, Historian

Posted 11 April 2017 - 1405 PM

In 1986, I booked the Manila Hilton [military rate] which is on the harbor, near the naval pier, not far from the boat to Corregidor. In addition to convenience to the Corregidor tour, it offers the most beautiful views of sunset on the Bay. However, for everything else, it would be malplaced for travel to Bataan, Rota (Grande Is.), Clark Field and Bagio, inter alia.

I too look forward to returning there and linking up with our Corinthian.

#14 sunday

sunday

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10,161 posts

Posted 11 April 2017 - 1434 PM

In 1986, I booked the Manila Hilton [military rate] which is on the harbor, near the naval pier, not far from the boat to Corregidor. In addition to convenience to the Corregidor tour, it offers the most beautiful views of sunset on the Bay. However, for everything else, it would be malplaced for travel to Bataan, Rota (Grande Is.), Clark Field and Bagio, inter alia.

I was fortunate to find a heavily discounted ticket with Singapore Airlines. Bought it on September for flying in February. Outgoing was to Kuala Lumpur, and incoming from Manila. Went by road from KL to Singapore, and flew from Singapore to Manila by JetStar Asia, a local low cost carrier.

Also, if you are able to leverage your Fortress Study Group membership, and got an authorization to go to Caballo Island, that would be really, really interesting, as that island is military territory, closed to civilians, and the guns there are in better state that the ones in Corregidor, according to the guide that drove us around in Corregidor. No illegal scrapers.

#15 Corinthian

Corinthian

• Members
  • 21,057 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 2303 PM

That's Manila Hotel. And for history bugs, it has the added allure of being MacArthur's residence until he transferred to Corregidor in WW2. One of the suites where he stayed is named after him and has memorabilia. I haven't entered that suite meself.

It is a pricey hotel though IIRC.

For convenience and somewhere cheaper, a hotel in Makati is better. Will provide further details by PM or email for those interested.

Looking forward to meeting you in the future, Ken and Jason. :)

Edited by Corinthian, 13 April 2017 - 2324 PM.

#16 Corinthian

Corinthian

• Members
  • 21,057 posts

Posted 13 April 2017 - 2323 PM

Any visit to Caballo Island has to go through the military as it is a naval installation. Dunno how much legal loops one has to go through to secure permission to visit it. Give me a full year to try secure permission to visit Caballo Island and Fort Drum. It will require photocopies of passports, etc etc.

Forts Frank, Drum, and Limbones Island are currently under military jurisdiction and so stepping on foot is off limits unless one secures permission.

However, one can go around these islands (except Fort Hughes/Caballo Island) by small pump boat rental. I've got contacts for that.

Foreigners visiting the Philippine Army Museum require a request letter with passport photocopy. Give me three months to before visit to secure permission. Philippine Air Force museum is under repair, but can be visited with some application of charm on my part. :D although it is nothing compared to your aerospace museums in CONUS of course.

I can drive you guys around the WW2 relevant areas. Bataan, Capas in Tarlac (Death March end point), Cabanatuan in Nueva Ecija (POW campsite that figured in the Great Raid which is now a park), Lingayen in Pangasinan (landing beach of Japanese in 1941 and Americans in 1944), Baguio and environs (last stand of Japanese in WW2)....

If Karl Welteke (retired USN diver who knows lots of WW2 Philippine history) is available, maybe he could join the tour (I reckon you'd find him interesting to be with, Ken).

All those are long distance driving, so I suggest staying in hotels/inns along the way.

Corregidor's main hotel is currently under renovation but recent report from Karl is that it will be back online this November 2017. Current places to stay in Corregidor is pretty Spartan. Once main hotel is back online, electricity on the island will be back to 24 hours.

If anyone likes to visit Pinatubo, it will involve renting a 4x4 and a long hike (anyway from an hour to four depending on where the 4x4 stops), and is a whole day event.

Anyone on this forum interested in visiting these places, I will be happy to assist and guide around (my schedule permitting of course). :) I just request months in advance notice so I can prepare and help provide info on places to stay etc.

Balut eating is optional. :lol:

Edited by Corinthian, 13 April 2017 - 2326 PM.

#17 sunday

sunday

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10,161 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 0514 AM

Thus the Tanknet Travel Agency was established.

#18 JasonJ

JasonJ

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7,679 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 0647 AM

Corinthian, those ideas all sound great. And if we decide to create the tour plan with much of those items, the time and energy it will take you to make it happen will be much appreciated.

Ken, this might be a great opportunity for me to meet you. Shall we try to coordinate our plans so that we can visit the Philippines at the same time and go on the tour together with Corinthian?

#19 Corinthian

Corinthian

• Members
  • 21,057 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 0720 AM

A coordinated trip would be best IMO especially for me a that means I only use my leaves in one go. ^_^

#20 sunday

sunday

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10,161 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 0744 AM

I wonder if the Malaysian/Singaporean contingent could also go.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users