#1 Rich

Rich

intellectual bully ilk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,939 posts
  • Interests:WW II, Current Defense Issues, Military History in General

Posted 26 June 2017 - 2057 PM

Just wondering why the 15th and 68th Tank Battalions were relieved from assignment to the 6th Armored Division after VE Day? I know the 40th (7th AD), 69th (6th AD) and 80th (8th AD) were also relieved from assignment to their divisions and converted to Amphibian Tractor battalions, but have yet to find an explanation for the others. I suspect it was for something similar. Any ideas?

#2 Wobbly Head

Wobbly Head

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,936 posts

Posted 26 June 2017 - 2108 PM

The simple answer could be as victory in Europe was achieved they had to achieve victory in Japan. Before the Atomic bomb was dropped they were prepping for an invasion of Japan and they would need every amphibious asset they could get.

#3 Rich

Rich

intellectual bully ilk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,939 posts

Posted 26 June 2017 - 2230 PM

The simple answer could be as victory in Europe was achieved they had to achieve victory in Japan. Before the Atomic bomb was dropped they were prepping for an invasion of Japan and they would need every amphibious asset they could get.

Sure, which is obvious WRT to the 40th, 69th, and 80th and the four separate battalions that were converted to Amphib Tractor and Tank, but that did not happen with the 15th and 68th. I suspect they were intended as holding units for short-point personnel destined for the invasion of Japan. I just haven't found the confirmation.

#4 Richard Lindquist

Richard Lindquist

Purveyor of flints to General Washington

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10,268 posts
  • Interests:military hardware, military history

Posted 28 June 2017 - 1003 AM

Sure, which is obvious WRT to the 40th, 69th, and 80th and the four separate battalions that were converted to Amphib Tractor and Tank, but that did not happen with the 15th and 68th. I suspect they were intended as holding units for short-point personnel destined for the invasion of Japan. I just haven't found the confirmation.

Rich:  Just an off-the-wall supposition, but those two battalions remained active into 1946 while the rest of the division inactivated in September 1945.  Could it be that they were used to provide divisional tank battalions to Inf Divs remaining in Europe under the new TOE?

#5 Rich

Rich

intellectual bully ilk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,939 posts

Posted 28 June 2017 - 1158 AM

Rich:  Just an off-the-wall supposition, but those two battalions remained active into 1946 while the rest of the division inactivated in September 1945.  Could it be that they were used to provide divisional tank battalions to Inf Divs remaining in Europe under the new TOE?

I don't think so? The 15th was inactivated 25 February 1946 at Camp Kilmer, NJ. The 68th on 29 December 1945 at Camp Patrick Henry, VA. The divisions of the Army of Occupation into 1946 were the 1st AD (in Italy until April 1946), 4th AD (as 1st Constabulary Brigade), 1st ID, 3d ID, 9th ID, 42d ID, 71st ID (until March 1946), 78th ID (until May 1946), 82d AbnD, 83d ID (until March 1946), 88th ID (in Italy), and 102d ID (until March). None of them reorganized under a new TO&E, because the new TO&E (the '7R' series) was only intended for the invasion of Japan.

In terms of the other Separate Tank Battalions, the 70th and 761st remained in Germany and were inactivated there on 1 June 1946, the 740th inactivated there 23 July 1946, the 774th on 26 July 1946, the 778th on 20 October 1946, and some others returned to the states in early 1946 nd were inactivated there.

Meanwhile, the 1st and 4th AD's three tank battalions were redesignated Constabulary, as was the 771st Tank Battalion and remained a part of the occupation forces well in the late 1940s.

I suspect they were just holding units for low-points tankers, but just have yet to find any confirmation.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users