10 replies to this topic

#1 John_Ford

John_Ford

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,701 posts
  • Interests:Tanks

Posted 23 August 2017 - 2306 PM

Saw this on Amazon.  Pretty good.   Not like that piece of Garbage "The Final Option".   Only quibble I had was the SAS Troopers kept their butt-stocks collapsed on their MP5's.

http://www.imdb.com/...8/?ref_=nv_sr_1

#2 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

Welcome to the new world disorder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 40,827 posts

Posted 24 August 2017 - 0154 AM

Nothing wrong with with 'Who Dares Wins'. It even had the worlds most Walt inciting soundtrack. :D

That looks pretty good. As an aside, I seem to recall reading somewhere that in CQB they had an MP5 designed to not need bringing up to the shoulder to aim (PDW?). The idea was you would punch towards the target and fire. You were so close that was usually accurate enough, and the speed of getting the weapon on target was more important.

#3 Panzermann

Panzermann

REFORGER '79

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11,933 posts

Posted 25 August 2017 - 0613 AM

Nothing wrong with with 'Who Dares Wins'. It even had the worlds most Walt inciting soundtrack. :D

That looks pretty good. As an aside, I seem to recall reading somewhere that in CQB they had an MP5 designed to not need bringing up to the shoulder to aim (PDW?). The idea was you would punch towards the target and fire. You were so close that was usually accurate enough, and the speed of getting the weapon on target was more important.

The short MP5k can be shot similar to a pistol. Some do not have a stock even and only sling mount on the backing plate. some techniques use the sling and pudhing the gun forward to stabilize it without a stock.

Having shot a full-size MP5 one handed like a pistol while awkward is doable. 9mm does not really have much recoil and the weight of the gun absorbs it.

So it may well be because of tight spaces they have shot their MP5 with stocks retracted, but often the movie props guys and combat choreaographers FUBAR it and leave the stocks retracted.

edit: gnaaa, another movie for the too long to watch list.

Edited by Panzermann, 25 August 2017 - 0614 AM.

#4 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

• Members
  • 40,827 posts

Posted 25 August 2017 - 1018 AM

The short MP5k can be shot similar to a pistol. Some do not have a stock even and only sling mount on the backing plate. some techniques use the sling and pudhing the gun forward to stabilize it without a stock.

Having shot a full-size MP5 one handed like a pistol while awkward is doable. 9mm does not really have much recoil and the weight of the gun absorbs it.

So it may well be because of tight spaces they have shot their MP5 with stocks retracted, but often the movie props guys and combat choreaographers FUBAR it and leave the stocks retracted.

edit: gnaaa, another movie for the too long to watch list.

The sling, that was it. I think I recall in Geraghty's book they tense it against the sling when they fire. Presumably its much quicker to do that than bring up to the shoulder.

Nice gun the MP5. Its fair to say that in many ways the SAS at Princes Gate were the best sales team H and K ever had. :)

#5 Panzermann

Panzermann

REFORGER '79

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11,933 posts

Posted 25 August 2017 - 1136 AM

Nice gun the MP5. Its fair to say that in many ways the SAS at Princes Gate were the best sales team H and K ever had. :)

You forget the storming of the hijacked Lufthansa aeroplane Landshut  in Mogadishou by GSG-9.

#6 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

• Members
  • 40,827 posts

Posted 25 August 2017 - 1140 AM

You forget the storming of the hijacked Lufthansa aeroplane Landshut  in Mogadishou by GSG-9.

And yes, it was very impressive, but it was not exceptionally well known outside West Germany and Somalia. Princes Gate was the first time there has been a terrorist incident resolved on prime time news. In fact, I can remember seeing it live. Everyone is used to live reporting now, back in 1980 it was a real rarity.

Its quite surprising how late it took the Americans to catch on to Mp5's. The American secret service was till using Mac 10s as late as the attempt on Reagans life.

Edited by Stuart Galbraith, 25 August 2017 - 1142 AM.

#7 bojan

bojan

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9,772 posts
  • Interests:Obscure tanks and guns.
    Obscure facts about well known tanks and guns.
    Obscure historical facts.

Posted 25 August 2017 - 1630 PM

Yugoslavia decided on MP-5s right after that, which was kinda logical as GSG-9 were a big inspiration for local special forces.

#8 John_Ford

John_Ford

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,701 posts
  • Interests:Tanks

Posted 25 August 2017 - 2127 PM

Took MP5, Tactical Submachinegun and MP5 Instructor at the HK academy.  Was taught the MP5K with sling only.  Preferred Straight Stock over Collapsing stock over just sling.    The MP5K with sling is a pure bullet hose.   I am not a fan.

#9 2805662

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 584 posts

Posted 25 August 2017 - 2324 PM

And yes, it was very impressive, but it was not exceptionally well known outside West Germany and Somalia. Princes Gate was the first time there has been a terrorist incident resolved on prime time news. In fact, I can remember seeing it live. Everyone is used to live reporting now, back in 1980 it was a real rarity.

Its quite surprising how late it took the Americans to catch on to Mp5's. The American secret service was till using Mac 10s as late as the attempt on Reagans life.

I think they were using UZIs.

https://goo.gl/images/GMsdsy

#10 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

• Members
  • 40,827 posts

Posted 26 August 2017 - 0205 AM

I think they were using UZIs.

https://goo.gl/images/GMsdsy

Yep, pretty clearly is. I read somewhere that the Secret Service were using them till someone belatedly discovered it was not the kind of thing you wanted to fire in a crowd, one Police chief described it as suitable for combat in a phone booth. Clearly the change over happened earlier than Id read.

#11 Colin

Colin

• Members
  • 15,905 posts
  • Interests:tanks, old and new AFV's, Landrovers, diving, hovercrafts

Posted 26 August 2017 - 0848 AM

carrying our version of the Sterling, we were taught to put the stock to the centre chest when shooting during a close encounter. To the shoulder normally or from the hip if caught unprepared. From the shoulder it was quite accurate.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users