#1 NickM

NickM

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,957 posts
  • Interests:Military history, computer sims, my daughter

Posted 24 August 2017 - 1906 PM

Guys:

I was re-reading Chris Cocks' 'Fireforce' book & I suddenly got curious--He referred to something called 'Dispatching'. Sounds like it was involved in the delivery of paratroopers on fireforce ops & it kept him very busy but I am not exactly clear as to what it was. Any clarification as to what it was he did?

TiA

NM

#2 2805662

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 538 posts

Posted 25 August 2017 - 2322 PM

Dispatchers (Australian experience, here) check the paratrooper & his equipment (checker front, checker rear, checker CE [combat equipment]) as part of manifesting, prior to emplaning. Aboard the aircraft, they open the doors, rig the para step, get the guys out the door, recover the D (deployment) bags/static lines after the jumpers have exited. I'm assuming (yeah, there's that word) Rhodesian dispatchers had similar tasks.

Edited by 2805662, 27 August 2017 - 1510 PM.

#3 NickM

NickM

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,957 posts

Posted 26 August 2017 - 1707 PM

Thx

#4 John_Ford

John_Ford

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,699 posts
  • Interests:Tanks

Posted 27 August 2017 - 0349 AM

US equivalent would be Jumpmaster.  Pre jump inspections,   Aircraft jump check,  putting jumpers out of the aircraft, and   recovery of deployment bags.  Never heard the term until I jumped with Brits in 2000 and 2001.   

#5 NickM

NickM

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,957 posts

Posted 27 August 2017 - 1100 AM

US equivalent would be Jumpmaster.  Pre jump inspections,   Aircraft jump check,  putting jumpers out of the aircraft, and   recovery of deployment bags.  Never heard the term until I jumped with Brits in 2000 and 2001.   

OK thanks to both 280 & John: I sort of get it now

#6 2805662

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 538 posts

Posted 27 August 2017 - 1514 PM

Australia also has PJM (and PJI), dispatching is the role they perform. I forgot - they also administer the "Orders to Paratroopers" (or is it Warning? It's been a while) before emplaning. A lawful command to "get out the door or else".

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users