33 replies to this topic

#1 Andres Vera

Andres Vera

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,323 posts
  • Interests:Becoming a helicopter pilot for the Pinochet administration

Posted 05 September 2017 - 1428 PM

There are so many interesting channels now, we should have a thread just for it.

Lately I've been watching Battle Stack, BazBattles, Invicta, Lindy (though I do not like him).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7ChSd_q4Og

Its wonderful to see this new community shaping out, I suppose it was the next logical step after the wikis and blogs. It pleases me to have new media piling on the likes of THC and Discovery, very refreshing. What are you watching?

#2 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

Welcome to the new world disorder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 40,819 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 0220 AM

The US Naval War College have a number of excellent lectures, 1 of them on cryptography in particular is surprisingly interesting. However, was listening yesterday to Admiral James Goldrick and his lecture 'over the horizon' on the reason for missed opportunities by the Royal Navy in WW1, and how they capitalized on it and learned lessons of value for WW2. Very interesting indeed, as is the insight on similarities in the growth of netcentric warfare today, and newly emerging technologies then, and the challenges they present.

#3 Adam_S

Adam_S

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 908 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 0349 AM

If you like swords and sharp things in general, scholagladiatora is worth checking out.

https://www.youtube....hd5FCGCwcjhrOdA

Also in the theme of sharp things, Man at Arms is an interesting channel. It's kind of like American Chopper but with swords. They seem to be mainly doing builds from movies and computer games at the moment but here are some interesting historical builds of katanas and things of that ilk.

https://www.youtube....ggXQrCSdQdFEslx

#4 Sikkiyn

Sikkiyn

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4,667 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 0029 AM

The Great War

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUcyEsEjhPEDf69RRVhRh4A

#5 Ivanhoe

Ivanhoe

Now is the winter of our discontent

• Members
  • 30,484 posts
  • Interests:military technology, military history, weapon systems, management/organizational design, early American history

Posted 07 September 2017 - 0850 AM

https://www.youtube....eHistory/videos

Most videos I have looked at concerning the Crusades tend to be a one-off on a general purpose channel. The above channel is one of the few that has multiple videos on the same subject.

#6 Skywalkre

Skywalkre

Garry F!@#$%g Owen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7,770 posts
  • Interests:military history, psychology, gaming (computer, board, simulation, console), sci-fi

Posted 07 September 2017 - 1550 PM

There are so many interesting channels now, we should have a thread just for it.

Lately I've been watching Battle Stack, BazBattles, Invicta, Lindy (though I do not like him).

I'm curious why?  I've only seen a few of his vids and I have to give him props for having decent screen presence.  The conclusions of the few I saw where I had some knowledge myself (Roman warfare) left me unimpressed, though.  Last I saw he seems to be expanding into all periods of warfare which is probably a stretch.

#7 bojan

bojan

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9,772 posts
  • Interests:Obscure tanks and guns.
    Obscure facts about well known tanks and guns.
    Obscure historical facts.

Posted 07 September 2017 - 1856 PM

Lindy has a raging francophobia.

#8 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

• Members
  • 40,819 posts

Posted 08 September 2017 - 0415 AM

https://www.youtube....SArmyWarCollege

US Army war college has some excellent lectures, there is a particularly good on there by David Glantz on myths and realities of the Eastern Front.

#9 Adam_S

Adam_S

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 908 posts

Posted 08 September 2017 - 0426 AM

Lindy has a raging francophobia.

What you have to understand about Lindy is that he sounds a bit posh which probably means he is at least loosely descended from English aristocracy. The same English aristocracy spent the best part of a millennium fighting wars against the French, which I think is potentially long enough for a kind of natural selection to set in. You can kind of imagine a process whereby the ones who were kind of ambivalent about the French got wiped out on the battlefield but the ones that really hated the French got properly stuck in, survived the battle and got to pass on their French hating genes to the next generation.

#10 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

• Members
  • 40,819 posts

Posted 08 September 2017 - 0511 AM

I dont hate the French, but I must admit im jolly appreciative of all the wealth they had that swelled the coffers of my ancestors when they knicked it :)

If only they hadnt pissed it all away in the 1600's. :(

#11 bojan

bojan

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9,772 posts
  • Interests:Obscure tanks and guns.
    Obscure facts about well known tanks and guns.
    Obscure historical facts.

Posted 08 September 2017 - 0525 AM

What you have to understand about Lindy is that he sounds a bit posh which probably means he is at least loosely descended from English aristocracy. The same English aristocracy spent the best part of a millennium fighting wars against the French, which I think is potentially long enough for a kind of natural selection to set in. You can kind of imagine a process whereby the ones who were kind of ambivalent about the French got wiped out on the battlefield but the ones that really hated the French got properly stuck in, survived the battle and got to pass on their French hating genes to the next generation.

I don't really care from where does it come, if you can not appear at least semi neutral you are shit historian... And youtube is full of such, so why bother with another one?

Great war guy is also English, and does much better job of trying to bring a light on a topic from the all sides rather than trying to sound smart like Lindy does.

#12 DougRichards

DougRichards

Doug Richards

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8,950 posts
  • Interests:Degree in History and Politics. Interests are Military History, military models,

Posted 08 September 2017 - 0757 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7ChSd_q4Og

Its wonderful to see this new community shaping out, I suppose it was the next logical step after the wikis and blogs. It pleases me to have new media piling on the likes of THC and Discovery, very refreshing. What are you watching?

Plural of 'cannon' is 'cannon', not cannons

#13 Tim Sielbeck

Tim Sielbeck

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 157 posts
  • Interests:Tanks, Steel Beasts, WW1 aviation, Epees

Posted 08 September 2017 - 1054 AM

The Merriam-Webster Dictionary also lists both “cannons” and “cannon” as the plural forms of the noun “cannon.”

#14 Andres Vera

Andres Vera

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,323 posts

Posted 08 September 2017 - 1114 AM

I'm curious why?  I've only seen a few of his vids and I have to give him props for having decent screen presence.  The conclusions of the few I saw where I had some knowledge myself (Roman warfare) left me unimpressed, though.  Last I saw he seems to be expanding into all periods of warfare which is probably a stretch.

You describe it well. The intellectual buffoonery is that he is too self centered and biased, and does not take criticism on this at all. His conclusions are the result of his world view, which is biased. His video about medieval siege warfare is great, the same with the Katana (not an expert on the subject so I take him at face value). The Vikings video were great, he explains carefully that not all vikings were raping and plundering for Odin, others were simply farmers and peaceful settlers. But some of his content is just fantastic. Excelent thing to have on the background when you play CIV 6.

He is very well versed on ancient Rome, the videos of late are great but he went of the deep end once and he should remain on the ancient and medieval world.

"BREN was better than the Spandau on the offensive because you can shoot as you walk..." That is not how it works! If you have LMGs in your squad, they are not the ones moving, but providing covering fire. Then there is this:

"Soldiers in war don't shoot to kill because they don't want to."

This is one of his best, and one of the shortest. It was a response to the total war franchise that basically sold horse archers as undebatable Wunderwaffens in all periods of time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d4b5IclFJ8Q

I think he should stay to medieval and roman times to be honest. I also don;t like him because he is not likeable, still one of the best in Youtube when it comes down to history. Will continue to watch. I hope he gets his funding to go research Hannibal.

Edited by Andres Vera, 10 September 2017 - 0412 AM.

#15 shep854

shep854

• Members
  • 18,020 posts
  • Interests:Military History, Aviation

Posted 09 September 2017 - 1609 PM

I give Lindy props for enthusiasm... :D

What I really like are the historical films sites like Periscope Film and Aiirboyd post.  FAR more interesting (and accurate ;) ) than the re-enactments other channels present.

#16 alejandro_

alejandro_

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,962 posts
  • Interests:History, cinema, football, aviation, armour, military history.

Posted 10 September 2017 - 1007 AM

Great topic Andrés. I really liked the animation of Jutland, this has to be one of the most dramatic naval battles of recent times.

In the last months I have been reading about HMS Hood and it's destruction in the battle of the Denmark Straits. In this documentary an expedition team travels to the North Atlantic to locate and explore the wreck. I thought it was very interesting.

#17 nitflegal

nitflegal

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4,699 posts
  • Interests:Armor, martial arts

Posted 10 September 2017 - 1109 AM

You describe it well. The intellectual buffoonery is that he is too self centered and biased, and does not take criticism on this at all. His conclusions are the result of his world view, which is biased. His video about medieval siege warfare is great, the same with the Katana (not an expert on the subject so I take him at face value).

As someone with more than a passing interest in the katana for the last 30 years and the good fortune to handle a bunch of period versions over the years I found his videos on them pretty poor.  One of the poor things about youtube history videos are there are far too many where someone speaks for 5-20 minutes about a subject he knows little about.  A friend brought a few over and I swung a couple isn't much in the way of research.

I'm very fond of the following speakers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8BjCu5hsqs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgSg7qwScU0&t=2752s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1SdO-btKuds

#18 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

• Members
  • 40,819 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 1005 AM

Not youtube, but they have some truly interesting lectures to listen to whilst you work.

http://www.historyextra.com/podcasts

This one is rather more eclectic, but also some interesting listening on a variety of topics.

http://www.nationala...ss/podcasts.xml

#19 Andres Vera

Andres Vera

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,323 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 1616 PM

You describe it well. The intellectual buffoonery is that he is too self centered and biased, and does not take criticism on this at all. His conclusions are the result of his world view, which is biased. His video about medieval siege warfare is great, the same with the Katana (not an expert on the subject so I take him at face value).

As someone with more than a passing interest in the katana for the last 30 years and the good fortune to handle a bunch of period versions over the years I found his videos on them pretty poor.  One of the poor things about youtube history videos are there are far too many where someone speaks for 5-20 minutes about a subject he knows little about.  A friend brought a few over and I swung a couple isn't much in the way of research.

My knowledge on swords is very limited. I simply found it refreshing for someone to say that the Katana itself was not a heavenly sword created with ancient Japanese Magics. In truth this alligned with what I learned about the Gladius, it was simply a stabbing tool used by men who knew how to use it to maximum effect, the Roman Legionary. I admit that this is the limit of my knowledge. I am really interested in knowing what you found misleading about the video.

#20 Andres Vera

Andres Vera

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,323 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 1647 PM

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Video

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users