266 replies to this topic

#261 Jeff

Jeff

Drum beating laughing boy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,257 posts

Posted 30 December 2017 - 1025 AM

I have relatives in Pforzheim. The city was all but wiped out on February 23, 1945. They spent the raid in the river to escape the fires. We haven't talked about it much. The word "victim" can have a few different levels of force to it. My relatives may have been victims of the bombing in one sense but they certainly are not entitled to the full status as victims since they were reaping what they and the German people had sowed. The victims of the fire bombings of Tokyo don't get the same status as the victims of the Rape of Nanking. Sorry, when you start a war and fight it by the most horrible means available, you don't get a spot on a memorial as victims, you get what you asked for.

#262 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

Welcome to the new world disorder

• Members
  • 42,408 posts

Posted 30 December 2017 - 1039 AM

Well im kind of biased, my Grandfather spent 40 to 45 as an all expenses paid guest of the reich as slave labour on Polish Farms. Ultimately I come down to what Sir Arthur Harris said, they sowed the storm and reaped the Whirlwind. Regretting it is not the same as feeling the need to apologize for it. I wouldnt expect the Germans to do it it even for Coventry. The real crime was the war, not the incidental acts in it.

Like I say, im probably biased.

#263 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

Welcome to the new world disorder

• Members
  • 42,408 posts

Posted 30 December 2017 - 1042 AM

But try giving the mascot his original name...

You might find this interesting. He probably turned up to protest at Peter Jackson renaming him....

http://www.dailymail...I-memorial.html
As I read the article, I began to wonder if they dared use his name.

They may as well call him  'Nigsy'. That was his nickname after all. Particularly when they were getting him drunk. :)

Supposedly when they were filming it, the Dog who played him (and RAF police dog, impeccably behaved) refused to walk past a certain spot on the airfield. They later discovered that was by Guy Gibsons office, where the real Nigger was buried. And in the background of the very last shot, where Todd is talking with redgrave, you can apparently see a black Labrador playing in the back of the shot. Probably the same do, but maybe not....

#264 Ken Estes

Ken Estes

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14,171 posts
  • Interests:USMC Tanker, Historian

Posted 31 December 2017 - 0434 AM

Maybe we can return to a tragedy at sea for awhile.

USS Fitzgerald Repair Will Take More Than a Year; USS John S. McCain Fix Could Be Shorter

170711-N-VA840-003.jpg

https://news.usni.or...ain-fix-shorter

Already estimates approach $500M, including upgrades. This will cost considerably more than the repair of USS Cole's terrorist bombing of 2000.

#265 Ken Estes

Ken Estes

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14,171 posts

Posted 17 January 2018 - 0408 AM

Heads are rolling:

Ex-U.S. Navy officers face negligent homicide charges over ship collisions
01/16/2018 21:24

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The commanding officers of two U.S. Navy destroyers involved in deadly collisions last year in the Pacific Ocean face courts-martial and military criminal charges including negligent homicide, the U.S. Navy said in a statement on Tuesday.

Filing charges against the officers marks the Navy's latest effort to address the problems that led to collisions involving its warships in Asia, in which 17 sailors were killed.

The Navy has already dismissed several senior officers, including the commander of the Seventh Fleet, as a result of the collisions.

Evidence supporting the charges against the commanders and several lower-ranking officers who served on the ships will be reviewed soon in investigative hearings, according to the Navy's statement.

"The announcement of an Article 32 hearing and referral to a court-martial is not intended to and does not reflect a determination of guilt or innocence related to any offenses," the statement added.

The commanding officer of the USS John S. McCain guided missile destroyer, which collided with a merchant ship near Singapore in August, faces charges of dereliction of duty, hazarding a vessel and negligent homicide, the statement said.

The commanding officer and three other officers on the USS Fitzgerald guided missile destroyer, which collided with a Philippine container ship in June, face charges including dereliction of duty, hazarding a vessel and negligent homicide, the Navy said.

Results from Navy investigations released in November found that both accidents were the result of human error by sailors aboard the ships, but determined that no single person could be blamed for the accidents.

Beyond the courts-martial, the Navy is conducting additional administrative actions for members of both crews, including non-judicial punishment for four crewmembers of each vessel, according to the Navy statement on Tuesday.

(Reporting by Eric Beech and Julia Harte; Editing by Eric Walsh and Sandra Maler)

01/16/2018 21:24

© Copyright Reuters Ltd.

Edited by Ken Estes, 17 January 2018 - 0409 AM.

#266 beans4

beans4

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 18 January 2018 - 0942 AM

Looks like prison time could be involved, if it gets that far.

https://www.military...al-charges.html

#267 Ken Estes

Ken Estes

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14,171 posts

Posted 18 January 2018 - 0946 AM

That's too rare, remains unlikely.

Negligent Homicides: A Bridge Too Far
The Navy never has charged a ship’s commanding officer with negligent homicide. The charge itself does not and has never existed in common law. Negligent homicide is complex, esoteric, arcane, and difficult to prove. It is a bridge which the Navy has been rightly loathe to cross.
by Captain Kevin S. Eyer, U.S. Navy (Retired) 

https://usni.us2.lis...85&e=328d02634f

Edited by Ken Estes, 19 January 2018 - 0214 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users