#961 Sardaukar

Sardaukar

Cynical Finnish Elk Eating Ilk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9,333 posts
  • Interests:military, martial arts, wargames, literature

Posted 08 January 2018 - 2141 PM

They are just not able to make more of Armatas quickly. I think I did read that batch for year is 40...

#962 GARGEAN

GARGEAN

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 09 January 2018 - 0114 AM

They are just not able to make more of Armatas quickly. I think I did read that batch for year is 40...

And that is already more than third part of all active british tank fleet. And that's only pre-serial.

#963 Simon Tan

Simon Tan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,542 posts
  • Interests:tanks. More tanks. Guns. BIG GUNs!

Posted 09 January 2018 - 0158 AM

There really is no pressing need for Armata. T-90 and T-72B3 are quite adequate for now and the risk of Polish liberation of Kaliningrad are low. Insensitive munitions, improved multimode HE and remote command are going to be the future.

#964 Gavin-Phillips

Gavin-Phillips

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,347 posts

Posted 09 January 2018 - 1543 PM

Here's a point that I was pondering concerning the T-14 Armata and an urban combat operation like what we have seen with T-55/62/72/90 in Syria.

With the T-14, the crew is obviously pretty much confined to the insides of the vehicle, relying on various sensors and probably CCTV of some kind to view their surroundings.  With all of the dust caused by the Syrian street fighting (or mud, debris, whatever), what design arrangements have been made to ensure these cameras are not covered and therefore rendered blind?

Water jets would probably work against mud.  However against dust, it would only cause it to stick to the lens.  If a demolition site has taught me anything, its using compressed air to literally blow the dust off a camera lens is the best way to clear it.

So how will this work in practice with a design like the T-14 Armata when it is eventually fielded into an active combat situation? 

#965 Burncycle360

Burncycle360

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,158 posts

Posted 09 January 2018 - 1549 PM

Combine mechanical cleaning with positive pressure blowby of filtered air, or maybe messing around with electrostatic charge? Long long ago in a galaxy far far away they simply had an R2 unit to squeegee the lens

#966 Interlinked

Interlinked

Crunchie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Interests:Cold war era tanks

Posted 09 January 2018 - 1605 PM

A bunch of Soviet tanks and armoured vehicles had compressed air to clean the driver's periscopes. It was usually just a nozzle connected to the compressed air tanks and the driver could turn it on by twisting a valve. I heard that the pressure usually wasn't high enough to dislodge mud though.

This GIF seems to show the cleaning devices from a T-64. (Made from this video: https://www.youtube....h?v=vgc6Xg5P0Yg)

giphy.gif

Edited by Interlinked, 09 January 2018 - 1645 PM.

#967 Gavin-Phillips

Gavin-Phillips

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,347 posts

Posted 09 January 2018 - 1653 PM

Thanks for the replies.  I wonder if tanks could have water jets for dealing with the mud then?  That's bound to be an issue depending on season or terrain of the  deployment area?

#968 GARGEAN

GARGEAN

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 09 January 2018 - 1705 PM

Thanks for the replies.  I wonder if tanks could have water jets for dealing with the mud then?  That's bound to be an issue depending on season or terrain of the  deployment area?

Considering that mud and snow are standart issues that are looked at when developing AFVs in SU/Russia... I think that this one is pretty resolvable and probably long time resolved.

#969 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

Welcome to the new world disorder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 41,930 posts

Posted 12 January 2018 - 0546 AM

Found this on Russiadefence.net. Particularly like the music, clearly made by a serious looking West German on a Yamaha synthesizer circa 1985. But as usual I digress.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users