#1 LouieD

LouieD

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 18 April 2019 - 1709 PM

Hello all,

After a long hiatus, I have updated my BAOR ORBAT, I have added a section on British MBTs that may be of interest here and updated the locations of TA units in peacetime (thanks to my co-author Phil).

I have been contacted by the British Forces Germany Legacy Project which is producing a book, 

My work may be used as a "moment in time" in the book/project, I will let you know more as I get the information.

Also at least one board game is using my research with the coming release of the updated "NATO: The Next War in Europe". I am thinking of dropping an email to Strategy & Tactics Magazine as I believe they are going to re-release their Central Front Series.

https://www.orbat85....R-July-1989.pdf

If anyone here can add anything or correct any errors it would be appreciated.

Louie

#2 RETAC21

RETAC21

A la lealtad y al valor

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13,597 posts

Posted 21 April 2019 - 0328 AM

To be fair, your work is being used in more than one wargame, but I just do it to entertain myself :D

On another tack, what about the rest of the British Army?

#3 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

Just Another Salisbury Tourist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54,776 posts

Posted 21 April 2019 - 1020 AM

Really great work Louie, thanks for sharing.

I was tempted to have a go at doing one for the Warsaw Pact, but I think I value what is left of sanity. :)

#4 LouieD

LouieD

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 24 April 2019 - 1015 AM

Really great work Louie, thanks for sharing.

I was tempted to have a go at doing one for the Warsaw Pact, but I think I value what is left of sanity. :)

Stuart,

I have notes on UKMF, AMF (L) and UKLF but nothing like BAOR. I have hit a wall with MOD in regards, I still have several FOI requests out that they have not responded to. UKMF seem to be in the NA, I found ONE entry from the late 1980's and they wanted over 100 quid to copy and send me the (Commander's Diary UKMF 1989) document ! Some of the UKLF stuff such as KP's, MOD is saying that as some of them are exant that its still restricted. But you can't always trust them, I had a FOI for the Master ORBAT, they gave me it in full. One of my co-authors asked for it too they published the whole thing except for the Intelligence Corps and SAS sections (which they sent me !!!!). Trust me I didn't see anything in there that was not out in the public domain.........plus its nearly 30 years old !!!!

Louie

Edited by LouieD, 24 April 2019 - 1015 AM.

#5 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

Just Another Salisbury Tourist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54,776 posts

Posted 29 April 2019 - 0231 AM

Its been a LONG while since I looked but I found a few documents on NA (they were priced a few quid each) on evacuation of dependents, the deployment of what were ostensibly training units to Germany, and even the recall of the Chieftain tanks in Canada to Germany. Which I guess illustrates quite how many they intended to get through.....

MOD are wierd. I once bought a British Army manual that among other things had an orbat of 22 SAS in it. I found it in a second hand book shop in Evesham, and it was barely 10 years old. Sometimes i think they are so chaotic, they dont know what they have, so they cant figure out whether to declassify it or not. Which seems to be the same for NATO documents from what I hear.

#6 JohnAbrams21

JohnAbrams21

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 30 April 2019 - 0525 AM

Having some issues with the link. Keeps on saying the network connection is being lost as it tries to load the PDF.