Oh hey, look, CW is being kept down for another 24 hours.  :rolleyes:

#62 Skywalkre

Skywalkre

Garry F!@#$%g Owen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8,902 posts

Posted 06 July 2013 - 2127 PM

TS is fun tonight as half my clan can't connect to the East server (why did we make 2 for a low pop server again?) and the workarounds aren't working for everyone.

/sigh

Edit: Are they cancelling CW because players can't log into the one server you have to be on to take part?  NOPE.  :glare:

Edited by Skywalkre, 06 July 2013 - 2148 PM.

#63 Skywalkre

Skywalkre

Garry F!@#$%g Owen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8,902 posts

Posted 09 July 2013 - 1920 PM

On another topic, I submitted a ticket for that night where they had different listings for what tiers were being used.  I ended up having to burn through a lot of gold (1630 once I retrain the crew back to where they were) to prep a crew because WG doesn't know how to edit web pages.  I simply asked for that gold to be refunded since this screwup was theirs.

I've now re-opened this ticket three times after they keep denying it.  I'm not dropping it.

This isn't a grey area.  They screwed up.  I had to jump hoops at the last second to accomodate.  How do they justify saying no?  All I'm asking is business 101 type stuff here, which WG fails at apparently.

#64 Skywalkre

Skywalkre

Garry F!@#$%g Owen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8,902 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 1512 PM

They announced the VP-gold converstion ratio (5:1)... and it's a pittance.

This is just the final nail in the coffin for what has been a disaster of a campaign.  I can't think of anyone who's enjoyed it and minus the M60s there hasn't been one single good thing about it.

Edit: On another note I had to reopen the ticket for the 1630 gold they owe me yet again.  It's bewildering, when they throw gold around like candy, that they can't reimburse me for that little amount when the screwup was 100% on their end.

Edited by Skywalkre, 22 July 2013 - 1523 PM.

#65 JamesR

JamesR

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 694 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 1810 PM

I thought the campaign dragged on a bit too long.  The First day/phase was a mess.  Which battles counted toward the M60 was a mess. 

On the positive side.. I was surprised just how many M60s they passed out... and it's actually a decent tank (IMHO). 

#66 Skywalkre

Skywalkre

Garry F!@#$%g Owen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8,902 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 1841 PM

In the next campaign they need to have all the guidelines and rules posted (and scrutinized by the players) ahead of time.  It was just... pure amateur hour how that was handled in this last campaign

As for the next campaign apparently the RU server was told to expect something similar (tier 1-10, again, over a several week period) but not for several months.  If that's the route they're going to take I can live with that (now that I have an idea what to expect - i.e., there's no need to worry about real fights most of the time).

As for making CW interesting I've given up that WG is interested in doing that or that the players really want it.  One idea I heard that I really liked was to make the reward tier 10 tank only available to the top 10-15 clans and give the remaining 15-20 Type 59s.  The goal would be to get top clans going after each other while still giving out a quality reward for those who fall short.  In reality I think most players and even top clans are fine with how things are.  Apparently the real competitive play is in tournaments (at least on the NA scene) and most players are fine with that.  CW is more this casual reward for those willing enough to get organized and participate.

#67 JamesR

JamesR

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 694 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 1159 AM

Interesting idea on the award tanks... though some would argue that the type 59 would be the superior gift given the tier 10 gift tanks lack of credit generation.

Tournaments is not something I have looked at yet although a bunch of guys in my clan participate regularly....  I just don't feel I can commit to specific time slots.

Edited by JamesR, 07 August 2013 - 1159 AM.

#68 Skywalkre

Skywalkre

Garry F!@#$%g Owen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8,902 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 1523 PM

Interesting idea on the award tanks... though some would argue that the type 59 would be the superior gift given the tier 10 gift tanks lack of credit generation.

Tournaments is not something I have looked at yet although a bunch of guys in my clan participate regularly....  I just don't feel I can commit to specific time slots.

That's a good point about the Type 59.  If I was given the choice between it and the M60 it wouldn't be an easy one.  I simply don't play the latter and would love a new premium.

As for tournaments, their schedule clearly shows WG doesn't look at CW as something serious.  Often tournaments go on at the same time as CW and in my clan that means a decent number of players simply can't participate in CW when that happens.

#69 Max H

Max H

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,656 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 0912 AM

Apparently the commander of PURPL ragequit after they got mapped by -g-, guys woke up this morning and the clam was gone. For anyone affected an ex-purpl'r is trying to reform it, relevant thread here:

http://forum.worldof...purpl-reforming

Internet Drama :o

#70 Harold Jones

Harold Jones

Shaken but not deterred...

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4,406 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 1352 PM

Apparently the commander of PURPL ragequit after they got mapped by -g-, guys woke up this morning and the clam was gone. For anyone affected an ex-purpl'r is trying to reform it, relevant thread here:

http://forum.worldof...purpl-reforming

Internet Clan Drama :o

Fixed that for you.

#71 Skywalkre

Skywalkre

Garry F!@#$%g Owen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8,902 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 1423 PM

I should've seen something like this coming.  I was out last night and came home to see we had been mapped and gold had been paid out.  The thing is... we never got gold payouts on Wed nights.  Those were always handed out on Thu afternoons/nights.

WARNING: LONG POST INCOMING

So this seems like as good a time as any to post my thoughts about CW and PURPL (which I was in).  I joined about two months before the campaign started.  EvilVader, the guy who emoragedisbanded the clan last night, was a recruiter back then and had talked to me over several months.  I finally agreed to join in an effort to find something about this game to like (my hope was CW would be more serious and challenging).  He told me PURPL was a casual clan of unicums.  There was no pressure to do CW.  There was no pressure to do training.  They were recruiting because they were having problems filling out teams for their battles every night.  If you did choose to do CW and train then you'd get gold payouts from their holdings.

At this time we were still in Europe holding onto the British Isles and some lands in northern France.  My first battle was... interesting, and basically foretelling of what CW would be like til the campaign started.  I jumped in the Special Battle and got selected for the team.  I don't remember too many specifics, but I remember being surprised at how little was talked about what we were going to do.  I was told the 'caller' would ping and explain everything after the map loaded.

So the game starts and the team is given a 30 second explanation of the general strat and where to go.  So I head out to my area and then the first scout notices... a Tog.  Yeah, this team had brought mostly tier 8s.  That was mostly the norm while we were in Europe.  We had good diplo with the clans we bordered (my first exposure to the reality that diplo was far more important than what you did in the actual game) so our battles were basically all landing zone fights most nights against scrub clans who had no idea what they were doing.  While the battles weren't interesting what kept me in was the gold.  I was making 2k+ in payouts during this period.  Yeah... it was nice.

At this point we knew about the campaign and that WG had the intention of eventually shutting down the Europe map (the first of so many issues of poor communication on WG's part about what was going on with CW).  We decided to move onto the NA map and we were a bit concerned because basically all the good clans were over there already.  As such, I saw my first of what would only be two practices the entire time leading up to this recent ass-whoopin' by G (let's not call it a war, I think we won all of 2-3 battles).

To call it practice would be an insult.  It was just a waste of time, pure and simple.  Back then we had a caller named Hellsau (he would later ragequit on the first day of the campaign).  This guy sums up so many of the problems I have with end-game in CW.  At the individual level he was a good player but he clearly had no idea how to work with or train small groups.  We could only field 20 folks for the training so he felt it was a waste of time and just bitched for the entire session.  Leading the other team was another caller we had named Roslanking1 (who disappeared quietly after the campaign).  This guy wasn't much better.  His idea of training and leading was merely yelling in TS "FOCUS FIRE, <RANDOM SWEAR WORD IN BROKEN ENGLISH>, FOCUS FIRE."

So that was it for training.  Nothing came of it.  What was really amusing was the map we were practicing on (Port) was one we never saw.  We ended up landing in NA in a totally different area than had ever been discussed openly in the clan (communication between leadership and the clan members was always an issue with our clan).

We expanded rather easily and were soon back up to our 2k+ gold payouts per week.  We hadn't fought anyone serious for what I'm guessing are two reasons.  The first is our clan stats (WN7 across everyone) at this time was the best on the NA server.  The second was, coupled with the first, folks didn't know anything about us and were probably playing it safe.  I had learned enough about CW at this point that most clans, even good ones, didn't want to get into conflicts.  Most were happy with carving out a piece of land via diplo and just farming.

At this time there was a war of sorts going on on the NA server.  I say 'of sorts' because what I could tell about it it was one of diplo and alliances winning the day more than battles being won.  Right before the campaign started our leadership decided to get involved.  This would be our first taste of fighting against a respectable clan (I don't even remember who they were, though, FWIW).  We won our first two battles but lost our third, which I was in.  It was more foreshadowing of the underlying problems with the clan leadership.  Often our strats were based on gimmicks.  We would do something unexpected, though often risky, and hope to catch the enemy unawares.  That first loss showed what happened when we came against someone who wasn't incompetent.  Our caller, Roslanking1, had put 2/3 of our team on Live Oaks in those buildings in the south.  The enemy lit us up and then started raining arty down on us.  Our caller thought we were arty safe (the 2-3 against the walls were, the other 7 or so weren't).  He just froze.  For three straight minutes our tanks slowly died as we hear him stumble on TS not knowing what to do.  What was more embarassing was that our enemy was using all second tier tier 10s (tank locking was in effect now, so we had all our best tanks against IS-7s and E-50Ms).  I'm pretty sure that team came in expecting to lose and walked away with an easy win.

Did anything change?  Did we learn anything?  Nope.  We just kept prodding along.  At this point CW was about to be shut down and the campaign started.  Even though I didn't care for him, Hellsau was the only guy in our clan to given any sort of indication about how we needed to prep for this campaign.  He made a rather lengthy post on our forums about what tanks at what tiers we needed and why.  When folks had questions about what to get they were pointed to this thread.  This wasn't ideal, but it was something.  It was certainly more organization than I had seen in PURPL up to this point.

Then the campaign starts, Hellsau ragequits after he disagrees with our chip placement, and I get ready for the first night of battles.  I had actually prepped according to that thread, had 5 of the tanks in the first 6 tiers ready to go with crews retrained and everything (again, based off that post).  Then we start gathering teams for the first night of battles and I soon discover the other callers in the clan either hadn't read that thread, didn't agree with it but failed to mention their own preferences, or more likely hadn't done any prep themselves.  I ended up getting skipped for almost every battle that night because I was in a tank that none of the callers wanted.  I was a bit pissed, to say the least.

That ended up being the norm for the rest of the campaign.  About half the tanks I prepped other callers never wanted.  A lot of that gold I had earned before this campaign was used in switching crews and secondary skills in preparation for this campaign.  Almost all of that was a waste and the poor communication from our leadership is to blame.  Another norm for the rest of the campaign was guys coming into TS the night a new tier was opened up and asking what they should buy.  Almost no one in our clan had prepped.

So the end of the first phase of the campaign was approaching.  EvilVader was our diplo guy now and assuring us we were going to get top 5.  The problem is we weren't anywhere near top 5.  At this same time we were engaged in some real fights with FORGE and ANVIL and only winning about 50% of them.  So many players and callers in the clan were talking of 'mapping these scrubs' but then we never could.

At this time I was just pure frustrated on so many levels.  I made a post on our forums that basically said "why don't we form a core of 20-30 guys who practice regularly and put in more work so we have an A team to field against top teams?"  The response?  Not positive.  Some players flat out misunderstood the post (which was amusing because it was all of 2-3 sentences long).  EvilVader responded and was a little butthurt I could mention such an idea.  He assured us we were struggling only because it wasn't tier 10s (I'd love to rub this comment in his face right now).  Nothing came of my post.  We ended up getting in the top 5 in the first stage through diplo.

At this point the campaign basically ended for most players.  EvilVader, our diplo guy, basically told us we'd have no real battles for almost the rest of the campaign.  He was right.  Most of our battles were technical or participation so folks could get their M60.  It was boring.  The results for most of the stages of the campaign were settled in various TS channels between officers of different clans rather than in the game.  It wasn't fun.

Then a hickup shows up in the form of SSGS late in the campaign.  Again, EvilVader had told us no real battles for a while so most players just weren't around when CW popped.  Then SSGS showed up (they were reinvigorated after absorbing members of a clan that had disbanded and they had a good caller, Sin_1O, who would later go on to join PURPL).  They kicked our butt over two nights and took land that we had bartered for in diplo channels.  Realizing we had a real fight on our hands all we really did was make a point to get players to show up during CW times.  We didn't practice.  We didn't do all that much extra work to prep for them.  The next two nights were basically standstills and after that we started to beat them back.

Sadly, though, SSGS killed our gold income which was supposed to be high for that stage.  We were also way down on the overall standings of the campaign and some members were getting anxious as not everyone got in 5 battles in that first stage (and there was still confusion at this point as to what battles counted for the M60 because WG couldn't get their story straight).

Stage 5 comes around, then we discover it's being cut short, and there's kind of this mad dash to end the campaign and get in the top 30.  We weren't doing this by winning battles, though.  Again, it was all diplo.  We finish top 30 (barely) and everyone is assured of getting their M60s.

What amazed me was the atmosphere in the clan at this point.  Many talked like our shit didn't stink, like we were the top dogs.  When you looked closer, though, there wasn't anything to back this up.  Sure, our clan average WN7 was high but that means nothing when stepping into an environment (CW) where teamwork is the most important aspect.  Basically all of the officers and callers had this mentality that all you needed to be successful in CW was good players with high ratings/scores and a good caller.  All that work inbetween was meaningless.  When you step back and think about it it's an extremely naive and amateurish view to take.

EvilVader had ascended to be clan leader by now.  With the campaign over and normal CW coming back into swing he was one of those who was feeling rather cocky.  When the map reopened we had a landing battle against G that we won (FWIW, we had fought these guys 2-3 times over the months before this ass-whoopin' and won).  EvilVader was again feeling pretty good.  We were back to what would be about 2k gold payouts per week.

Then there were some rumblings about diplo with those around us.  EvilVader made one mention once in game (so if you weren't on you missed it) that there was a chance of a war with G but not to worry, that if it happened he'd do the normal CW thing and call in allies so we win via chips rather than fighting.  A couple days go by and nothing.  No posts about a war coming.  No posts about needing folks on just in case.

Then the ass-whoopin' starts.  It catches the members by surprise.  A few ask about those allies and it turns out there are none.  This is a straight-up fight between G and PURPL.  Now, had we done anything to prep for this?  No.  We had a few new callers brought in from other clans.  That's it.

EvilVader gives some speech one night after the losses start to roll in about how this was all on him and he wanted to see where we were as a clan.  Then, and only then, do we start to talk about practices and getting serious about CW.  Keep note, this is after we've already started losing.  FWIW this actually got me excited.  I love the notion of a competitive CW environment.  For the time I had been in PURPL we were able to beat every scrub clan we faced without ever having to practice and had basically a .500 record against top tier clans.  What we talked about in TS and in our forums had the potential to become something amazing, something that would wipe the floor of every other clan out there (G included).

In the end, it was just talk.  We get mapped.  Our baby steps at trying to be more serious were sometimes more damaging than helpful (though there were glimmers of hope such as the one win I was in against G where we had a solid practice beforehand and came in ready).

Then I logged in this morning and saw EvilVader emoragedisbanded the clan.  There's talk by some of reforming, and it will happen, but I have little hope things will be different.  I've been doing online gaming for over a decade now.  What I saw in PURPL was the same shit I saw in every other game.  Some folks know what to say (my original line there was 'lots of folks' but that's not true at all), few are willing to put in what it takes to accomplish it.

PSEUDO TL;DR

As for CW in general, and less specifics about PURPL, it was a testament to how bad the playerbase is in WoT that we could acclomplish what we did considering we never practiced and literally went over many strats the moment the map loaded.  If you could get a team of just average players with good leadership and have them practice effectively you could scare the pants off of any clan on the NA server.

Edited by Skywalkre, 15 August 2013 - 1424 PM.

#72 Skywalkre

Skywalkre

Garry F!@#$%g Owen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8,902 posts

Posted 08 September 2013 - 1855 PM

From FTR:

second CW campaign will start at the end of October, it will use tier 4-6-8-10 tanks (based on current company rules)

I'll take this over the tier 1-10 BS they had in the last campaign any day.

#73 Skywalkre

Skywalkre

Garry F!@#$%g Owen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8,902 posts

Posted 24 November 2013 - 2018 PM

Apparently it's super hard to get a website to work.  For several days now CW battles have not been showing up on the website under scheduled battles.

I am in shock, SHOCK that WG is struggling with this...  :glare:

Reply to this topic