13957 replies to this topic

#13941 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

Of the Veronica Cartwright Ilk

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 47,520 posts

Posted 14 October 2018 - 0239 AM

@Stuart: sorry, I meant no offense. I think we can agree we are not fans of the Russian government after its actions of the last several years. Though their support for Assad I can't fault; the US and UK continue to support people equally horrible.

No, and im sorry if I implied any, because I think I came across as more assertive than I meant. I just hear some of the people on here saying 'You are Anti Russian' so often it becomes a meme. Im not, but that I dont equate the Russian Government with the Russian people. After all, Its not liked they voted for him is it. :)

Personally, I think we are doing exactly what the Russians did, playing the interference game to cause  Russia as many problem as they can, in much the same way as Russia has been doing it in Ukraine. I dont like it, but I can see the logic of it. Just another thrilling installment in the long game of keep your filthy hands off my desert I guess.

#13942 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

• Members
  • 47,520 posts

Posted 14 October 2018 - 0243 AM

As far as rebuilding Syria, like war you need three things to do it. Money, Money, and more Money. If Russia doesnt have the readies to do it, if Iran doesnt, If America is putting itself first, then you are left to either the other Arab nations or the EU. And not one of them is going to lift a brass farthing to help Assad. So what is Russia's way out of this mess? Pass.

So Saudi Arabia is military and economic superpower? :) Actually first and most important thing the country need is dedicated, hard working and educated population. Money are of course nice thing to have, but not No.1 priority.

And the middle class have all left. So you are left with a Golgafrincham Star Ark B problem, of rebuilding a nation without the middle and most creative class. The telephone hygenists and used car salesmen you can do without, but the doctors, the technicians, the architects, you cant. We have them all now.

You own valuable real estate, and no country of any viability till people start coming back. And people are not going to come back to a regime that routinely uses chemical weapons and barrel bombs to signify its legitimacy. You might sooner get the rohingya's to go back to Burma.

#13943 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

• Members
  • 47,520 posts

Posted 14 October 2018 - 0245 AM

I have an Anti Putin bias if I have any bias at all. Whilst that may be offensive to some, I can point to the last 4 years and say 'So wasnt I right already?'

You make thousands of predictions.  Would be pretty hard to get them all wrong, wouldn't it?  Yes, you were right calling the Skiprals a Russian job to start.  That stands out.

Against Russia I have nothing but complete respect, against those at lead it? Wholesale contempt. Not much of a difference as far as Russias current actions are concerned, but for me, a real one. Russians I like. Their KGB originated Oligarchy? Not so much

So -

Russians that know their place - good.

Russians that think they are the alpha dogs  - bad.  

As far as rebuilding Syria, like war you need three things to do it. Money, Money, and more Money. If Russia doesnt have the readies to do it, if Iran doesnt, If America is putting itself first, then you are left to either the other Arab nations or the EU. And not one of them is going to lift a brass farthing to help Assad. So what is Russia's way out of this mess? Pass.

You'd rather  Syria rots than have Putin pulling off a foreign policy success.  Anyways, social cohesion, entrepreneurs, stability, opportunity - get those, investment will come.  Syria will rebuild with or without the West.  

At least I take a position and stand by it, even if I am wrong. And yes, Ill admit when im wrong too. You flip flop so many damn times, even in the space of a single post, you would think you were a pair of fucking beach sandals.

#13944 Roman Alymov

Roman Alymov

• Members
  • 16,173 posts
  • Interests:Tank recovery

Posted 14 October 2018 - 0520 AM

And the middle class have all left. So you are left with a Golgafrincham Star Ark B problem, of rebuilding a nation without the middle and most creative class. The telephone hygenists and used car salesmen you can do without, but the doctors, the technicians, the architects, you cant. We have them all now.

Are you sure you are talking about Syria, not some other country?
http://wbj.pl/world-...t-in-the-world/
World Bank: Brain drain from Poland second-highest in the world
Poland ranks second in the world when it comes to the rise in outflow of qualified personnel, surpassed only by India, according to the World Bank (WB) report “Global Talent Flows.”

#13945 Roman Alymov

Roman Alymov

• Members
  • 16,173 posts

Posted 14 October 2018 - 0523 AM

You own valuable real estate, and no country of any viability till people start coming back. And people are not going to come back to a regime that routinely uses chemical weapons and barrel bombs to signify its legitimacy. You might sooner get the rohingya's to go back to Burma.

https://themoscowtim...-ministry-62547

300,000 Syrian Refugees Have Returned Home Since 2016 — Russian Defense Ministry

#13946 Simon Tan

Simon Tan

• Members
  • 22,396 posts
  • Interests:tanks. More tanks. Guns. BIG GUNs!

Posted 14 October 2018 - 0702 AM

The number of Syrians has reduced in Malaysia. The Yemenis are now more numerous.

#13947 GARGEAN

GARGEAN

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,719 posts

Posted 14 October 2018 - 0732 AM

At least I take a position and stand by it, even if I am wrong. And yes, Ill admit when im wrong too.

Was soviet 100mm D-10T tank cannon a panicked answer to M103 and Conqueror?

#13948 GARGEAN

GARGEAN

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,719 posts

Posted 15 October 2018 - 0405 AM

Well, just as usual.

#13949 Roman Alymov

Roman Alymov

• Members
  • 16,173 posts

Posted 15 October 2018 - 0450 AM

https://english.alar...r-crossing.html

The border crossing between Jordan and Syria officially opened to civilians and trade on Monday after being closed for three years.

The Nassib crossing opened an 8 a.m. (0500 GMT), a border official on the Jordanian side in Jaber told Reuters, but added that there had been no traffic so far. One civilian could be seen waiting to cross.

Jordanian state news agency Petra reported early on Monday that Jordan and Syria had agreed to open the border to all in a change from an earlier statement that normal traffic would not be allowed until a later date.

“We are fully ready to receive passengers and transport of goods,” Imad Riyalat, head of the Jaber crossing, told Reuters. “We expect the traffic to be slow now at the start, but in coming days we expect passenger movement to pick up.”

The Syrian government retook the area around the Nassib border crossing with Jordan in July during a Russian-backed offensive to drive rebels from their stronghold in southwest Syria. The civil war in Syria began more than seven years ago.

The closure of the Nassib crossing in 2015 cut a crucial transit route for hundreds of trucks a day transporting goods between Turkey and the Gulf, and Lebanon and the Gulf, in multi-billion dollar annual trade.

#13950 glenn239

glenn239

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4,351 posts

Posted 15 October 2018 - 0908 AM

The number of Syrians has reduced in Malaysia. The Yemenis are now more numerous.

Interesting - have they gone home?  

#13951 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

• Members
  • 47,520 posts

Posted 15 October 2018 - 0922 AM

Well, just as usual.

Well if you will throw things out there at random, there isnt much I can say in reply is there?

#13952 Roman Alymov

Roman Alymov

• Members
  • 16,173 posts

Posted 15 October 2018 - 2252 PM

Russian war corresoindent and Syrians

GYaYIehFLYU.jpg

#13953 Adam Peter

Adam Peter

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,068 posts
  • Interests:history, music

Posted Yesterday, 12:22 PM

According to index.hu, Israeli and US pilots training against S-300 in Ukraine.

Probably the died US pilot measured the capabilities of the Su fighter (which are probably not too far from the newer versions), but probably it was less capable than expected (maybe the Russian airshow Sus are farther from the old).

#13954 Josh

Josh

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13,139 posts

Posted Yesterday, 12:33 PM

Israel has already trained with the Greeks, if I recall correctly. I would imagine the same opportunity could have been arranged for the US, if they were interested. In their case they probably have had a lot of opportunities for eaves dropping on the Iranian site at Bandar Bushehr which ironically occupies what looks like an old MIM-23 Hawk site north of the airfield.

Edited by Josh, Yesterday, 12:33 PM.

#13955 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

• Members
  • 47,520 posts

Posted Today, 07:20 AM

https://www.bellingc...amily-refugees/

'Me, I’m looking for a new future for my three children, my wife and myself, because there is no future left in Syria. The war is far from over. There’s fighting every day, if they stop fighting at one place they’ll start again somewhere else.

#13956 glenn239

glenn239

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4,351 posts

Posted Today, 07:58 AM

Syrian economic forecast,

https://tradingecono.../syria/forecast

Recovery expected to start in 2020, continued GDP contraction for 2019.

#13957 Roman Alymov

Roman Alymov

• Members
  • 16,173 posts

Posted Today, 08:11 AM

https://www.bellingc...amily-refugees/

'Me, I’m looking for a new future for my three children, my wife and myself, because there is no future left in Syria. The war is far from over. There’s fighting every day, if they stop fighting at one place they’ll start again somewhere else.

Bellingcat is exciting. "In September of 2008 I went to Syria for a few weeks. I only had two contacts in the country," - massive and reliable survey it is.

#13958 Daan

Daan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,859 posts

Posted 13 minutes ago

Roman, you should be happy, the interviewees are positive when talking about the Russian soldiers. They are disciplined and buy local wares.

P: How do the Russian soldiers conduct themselves? Do they also steal from the general population?

L: No, mostly they behave quite well. I’ve never seen them robbing Christians.

F: Indeed, the Russians are quite good for us. If anything [untoward] happens, you go report that to one of their officers and then the soldier will be punished.

The Russians even started their own tourist industry here. They buy and sell about anything local — souvenirs, copper, pottery — everything that’s made here is bought.

Edited by Daan, 10 minutes ago.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users