10 replies to this topic

#1 Murph

Murph

Hierophant Lord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,884 posts

Posted 06 December 2016 - 0736 AM

Of all the foods I ate in Germany, the two that I want the most right now are Currywurst and a Spezi.  Does anyone in Germany still eat Currywurst or is anti-Islamic and banned? 

#2 Marek Tucan

Marek Tucan

Powerpoint Ranger, Chairborne

• Members
  • 15,973 posts

Posted 06 December 2016 - 1357 PM

They do eat curryworst. Not sure why you would take a perfectly fine wurst and spoil it with curry, but that's Germany for you.  I mean... What's wrong with bratwurst, weisswurst or any other type of wurst?

As for Spezi... When I was in St. Pete with my German colleague, he was ordering Fanta and Cola mixed all the time, to the horrified fascination of waiters.

#3 Harold Jones

Harold Jones

Shaken but not deterred...

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4,393 posts

Posted 09 December 2016 - 1701 PM

I never cared for currywurst, but I did like Spezi.  You can mix Fanta and Coke but it just doesn't taste as good here in the US. One or both are formulated differently here.  I do buy curry ketchup from the local German Deli once in a while, I mix it my favorite bbq sauce and use it to top meatloaf when I make it.

#4 BP

BP

Kulak

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11,841 posts

Posted 11 December 2016 - 0912 AM

I like curry ketchup on my eggs once or twice a week. Just pan fry two fresh eggs (from a guy at client who has 60 chickens), and then a few drops.

Also interesting was vineyard workers I saw this summer doing Fanta and beer (no prob, have had that), then spezis, but then spezi with beer.  I guess they need their blood sugar up after a long day outdoors.

#5 Corinthian

Corinthian

Stone Age Bitter Delusional Retard

• Members
  • 21,347 posts

Posted 12 December 2016 - 0201 AM

I was so excited when a burger place somewot near the office had currywurst in their menu. So we all ordered food, mine was currywurst.

I was a disappoint as it didn't look like anything in the pix on the interwebz.

And it didn't taste anything like curry at all. No hint of such.

#6 Rickard N

Rickard N

Swedish ilk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,354 posts

Posted 12 December 2016 - 0653 AM

I like curry ketchup on my eggs once or twice a week. Just pan fry two fresh eggs (from a guy at client who has 60 chickens), and then a few drops.

Also interesting was vineyard workers I saw this summer doing Fanta and beer (no prob, have had that), then spezis, but then spezi with beer.  I guess they need their blood sugar up after a long day outdoors.

Fanta and beer is sort of a Radler, sort of....

/R

#7 Murph

Murph

Hierophant Lord

• Members
  • 18,884 posts

Posted 12 December 2016 - 0700 AM

American Fanta does not taste or look like the German stuff, it is just not the same.  I want real Spezi!  And real Currywurst, just like I used to get outside of my Kaserne in Kirchgoens. 

#8 BP

BP

Kulak

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11,841 posts

Posted 12 December 2016 - 1354 PM

Fanta and beer is sort of a Radler, sort of....

/R

Yeah.  Radlers are becoming increasing popular and common here in Murrica, particularly in the South where it's hottr than two rats @#$%ing a wool sock for 13 months of summer.

http://www.postandco...4300907aa4.html

#9 Mike Steele

Mike Steele

Boobies!

• Members
  • 15,746 posts

Posted 27 December 2016 - 1035 AM

Here is recipe that looks good.

http://thehobbycook....currywurst.html

#10 Ivanhoe

Ivanhoe

purposeful grimace

• Members
  • 32,153 posts

Posted 28 December 2016 - 2216 PM

https://youtu.be/WBl81cxHjWA

#11 Blunt Eversmoke

Blunt Eversmoke

despicable hypocrite with nothing to crow for

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 03 January 2017 - 0913 AM

Of all the foods I ate in Germany, the two that I want the most right now are Currywurst and a Spezi.  Does anyone in Germany still eat Currywurst or is anti-Islamic and banned

Second-generation Muslims quite often start drinking beer and eating pork (usually in the form of Wurst) in Germany. So hah, fat chance ^_^