• Please log in to reply
416 replies to this topic

#401 Rick

Rick

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4,169 posts

Posted 12 October 2019 - 0540 AM

Same here. Add in don't smoke or get drunk and you got it. I would also add maintain a positive attitude.

#402 Ivanhoe

Ivanhoe

purposeful grimace

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 32,228 posts

Posted 12 October 2019 - 0957 AM

Back in the in day in primary school we had nutrition classes (the basics of a good diet).

The "good diet" promoted heavily by the USDA, the Food Pyramid, has turned out to be a literal killer.

The war on saturated animal fats, waged by USDA, other federal agencies, and Big Education, was fought to increase revenue for corn farmers. All that federally-approved hydrogenated corn oil has been killing people.

Recent research seems to be indicating that prior beliefs about cholesterol are driving unhealthy choices.

Before we talk about lifestyle changes and eating habits, I assert we need to do much better research. The money the US spends on browbeating the plebs should be spent on clinical (not observational) research.

#403 JWB

JWB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7,690 posts

Posted 20 October 2019 - 1208 PM

Women are more than twice as likely as men to suffer from PTSD.

https://www.ptsd.va....mmon_adults.asp

#404 JWB

JWB

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7,690 posts

Posted 07 November 2019 - 2141 PM

I thought single payer controls costs?

growth-ratessize1.png?width=401.56555772

#405 Skywalkre

Skywalkre

Garry F!@#$%g Owen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8,909 posts

Posted 08 November 2019 - 1351 PM

I take it that's from this article?

https://fee.org/arti...lth-care-costs/

Good read, though I had to do a double take on his fourth point.

As for the graph I can't help but wonder how much of a role the SAD (Standard American Diet, I've seen the acronym used quite frequently in many books recently) has played in bringing up the costs of health care in these other nations.  With globalization and the influence of America more and more people across the globe have adopted our diet... and our diet is rubbish.  Couple this to the archaic approach so many across the world have that health care starts once you go to your doc with an issue it's no wonder costs are going up everywhere.

#406 Stargrunt6

Stargrunt6

Empire Apologist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7,856 posts

Posted 08 November 2019 - 2001 PM

It could just be poverty levels getting squashed.  Obesity truly is a disease of civilization.  

#407 NickM

NickM

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4,248 posts

Posted 08 November 2019 - 2320 PM

It could just be poverty levels getting squashed.  Obesity truly is a disease of civilization.  

Soft, comfortable civilization at that.

#408 DB

DB

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11,345 posts

Posted 11 November 2019 - 1912 PM

Back in the day, a balanced diet was described as "meat and two veg" in England at least.

For the vegetables, that would be carrots and peas or beans. Potatoes weren't included in the "two veg", but were usually present, mainly boiled new potatoes or mashed or roast (on Sunday).

Strangely enough, the dietitian I had a session with a year ago suggested a quarter plate of meat, a quarter plate of carbs and the balance vegetables or salad. The only change from 40 years ago would be a wider range of alternatives to potatoes for the carbs - pasta, rice, whatever.

Now I think of it, rice was either in a dessert pudding, or served cold with peas in it as a side to a salad-heavy buffet in summer, and pasta would have been spaghetti, canned ravioli or Heinz 'oops, all with a tomato sauce.

A last note: being brought up in the 70s there was still very much the attitude that you emptied your plate or you weren't doing your duty. Parental memories of rationing, perhaps. The conditioning that comes with that persistent demand is difficult to overcome.

Childhood obesity I put down to kids having cash now that was never available to us, and insufficient parental control to prevent them from spending it in McDonalds, or in our case the local chippy where £1.50 buys the thick end of a pound weight of deep-fried chips, with enough salt to induce seizures in the weak.

#409 Harold Jones

Harold Jones

Shaken but not deterred...

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4,415 posts

Posted 11 November 2019 - 2029 PM

I suspect it's both more pocket money to buy junk food and less physical activity.  Most of it I put down to the ubiquity of screens to spend time on, the rise of organized sports with specialization at ever younger ages and dwindling numbers of stay at home moms.  When I was a preteen I ran with a gang of kids, we knew that any minor transgressions would be reported to our parents by one of the local housewives, and major violations of the rules might be punished on the spot and then reported.  Running with the gang was damn near literal since we walked, ran or rode our bikes everywhere we went.  Since those who were in little league generally had a practice or two during the week and played games on Saturday the local ball fields were available for pick up games.  What pocket money we got had to be divided between candy and comic books.  Unless we got lucky with a pop bottle find it rarely stretched to both.  

#410 Ivanhoe

Ivanhoe

purposeful grimace

• Members
  • 32,228 posts

Posted 11 November 2019 - 2153 PM

One thing I see nowadays is folks getting 1000 calories a day from vending machine food, particularly chips. In a lot of workplaces and schools, you are never more than 50 yards from vending machines.

Portion sizes are bigger, but then people are now bigger as well.

I have no doubt that one contributing factor to the US's health care costs is the USDA Food Pyramid along with the promotion of hydrogenated fats rather than saturated fats. A lifetime of margarine vs butter could bump up the rate of CVD several percent, which multiplied by the costs of angioplasty etc. In middle age and afterwards.

#411 Rick

Rick

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4,169 posts

Posted 12 November 2019 - 0506 AM

One thing I see nowadays is folks getting 1000 calories a day from vending machine food, particularly chips. In a lot of workplaces and schools, you are never more than 50 yards from vending machines.

I have no doubt that one contributing factor to the US's health care costs is the USDA Food Pyramid along with the promotion of hydrogenated fats rather than saturated fats. A lifetime of margarine vs butter could bump up the rate of CVD several percent, which multiplied by the costs of angioplasty etc. In middle age and afterwards.

Can't disagree with your broad idea. But no matter what type of calories you take in, if you expend more than you take in, you'll lose weight although there are other health issues as you have mentioned in the over consumption of "unhealthy" foods. Skywalkre has posted several good items on health issues in the past.

U.S. healthcare costs can be dramatically lowered by decreasing obesity, tobacco, and other poor personal health care choices such as drugs, not using seat belts and homosexuality. It is depressing however, to see way too many of my fellow countrymen blame someone else for their poor health care choices and expect someone else to pay for it. 

#412 Skywalkre

Skywalkre

Garry F!@#$%g Owen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8,909 posts

Posted Today, 11:41 AM

A last note: being brought up in the 70s there was still very much the attitude that you emptied your plate or you weren't doing your duty. Parental memories of rationing, perhaps. The conditioning that comes with that persistent demand is difficult to overcome.

Similar thing here though it likely stemmed from the multigenerational legacy of the Depression.  Add to that there was usually too much on the plate to begin with.

One of the interesting things I've come across in all my reading (and personal experience) in recent years is that we frankly don't need as much food as many experts would lead us to believe.  One of the complaints (and I made it myself when I started eating better years ago) about eating good, healthy, quality food is that it's expensive.  Yeah... it is... if you eat it in the same quantity you ate the rubbish you were eating before.

The guy I mostly follow now, Mark Sisson (I highly recommend his Primal Blueprint for anyone wanting a comprehensive guide to resetting your life in all the right ways), posted a journal to where he gives an example of his own dietary habits over several days.  Even he eats less than his own recommendations and still does great.  Years ago when I got down to 10% body fat, working a job that could be very physically demanding, and working out almost daily I was only eating 1600-1800 calories a day and was doing just fine.

A lot of the cost of eating better can simply be offset by the fact you don't need to eat as much.

#413 Skywalkre

Skywalkre

Garry F!@#$%g Owen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 8,909 posts

Posted Today, 11:52 AM

Amen to the bolded part.  It took far too long for the FDA to ban partially hydrogenated oils (that whole affair reinforces my thesis that special interests are the real enemy in this country).

Regarding the food pyramid I'm reminded of something I said several pages back in post #320:

There's a part of me that would love to see a scenario where government guidelines are written by folks like Dr Weil and Dr Hyman... but that will never happen.

Instead, there's a great Conservative argument one could make that would do some good - kick the government out of our food guidelines, stop subsidizing shit, and have them stop footing the bill for folks who haven't taken care of themselves.

For the former it's painfully clear at this point the folks who have been writing the guidelines for healthy eating over all these years were tools of Big Agriculture and Big Food (and those guidelines have had an impact on folks in this country and even elsewhere in the world).  Fire everyone involved in that process.  Write new guidelines for manufacturers that just lists ingredients (and make sure, once again, we tell the special interests to kiss off who want to hide bad shit in plain sight).  Now consumers are just left with information - what's in their food.  If they want to know what they should eat they can go do their own homework.

#414 Panzermann

Panzermann

REFORGER '79

• Members
  • 16,612 posts

Posted Today, 01:18 PM

It took far too long for the FDA to ban partially hydrogenated oils (that whole affair reinforces my thesis that special interests are the real enemy in this country)

​

framed195idiocracy19.jpg​

You noticed only now? Certainly no grain farmer lobby involved in the creation of this carbohydrate rich diet. Well okay, admittedly so many carbohydrates were less of a problem when there was more hard manual labour.

Edited by Panzermann, Today, 01:20 PM.

#415 Panzermann

Panzermann

REFORGER '79

• Members
  • 16,612 posts

Posted Today, 01:22 PM

I thought single payer controls costs?

growth-ratessize1.png?width=401.56555772

Well, wht have the starting ponts have been? Those countries at the top have had serious wage increases over the last two ro three decades raising personnel costs accordingly. Also what are the absolute numbers?

#416 Stargrunt6

Stargrunt6

Empire Apologist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7,856 posts

Posted Today, 05:46 PM

So far, I've been doing intermittent fasting the last 3-4 months and have lost about 30lbs.  No other diet has worked this well.  It really drove home how insane our portions are.  Even our normal sized portions are too damn big. 

#417 Ivanhoe

Ivanhoe

purposeful grimace

• Members
  • 32,228 posts

Posted Today, 07:16 PM

Amen to the bolded part.  It took far too long for the FDA to ban partially hydrogenated oils (that whole affair reinforces my thesis that special interests are the real enemy in this country).

If it weren't for special interests, the whole civilian federal government would fit on a school bus.