83 replies to this topic

#21 Mr King

Mr King

Fat Body

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,418 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 1916 PM

My latest batch of chili is on the stove. I keep tweaking the recipe every time I make it to try something new. This time I finely chopped beef suet and melted it down, while cooking chopped onions and green pepper in it to help give it added flavor. I have used suet for my Coney Island sauce before but not in my regular chili. Not pictured is the white vinegar, and the masa I also add to the chili near the end to thicken it up. I use the cheapest ground beef they have because it has the highest fat content. I like beans in mine, but you could easily substitute more meat for the beans. The Gold Star Cincinnati Chili seasoning has become my favorite off the shelf seasoning. I really dig it's flavor. I also add in extra cumin. Ignore the coffee and bbq sauce in the back ground they dont go in the chili. The two partially hidden cans are Rotel Hot Diced Tomatoes with Habanaros, and Contadina Tomato Paste. Cant wait till it is done cooking. 

P1yNxam.jpg

#22 Leo Niehorster

Leo Niehorster

Meow

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,639 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 0240 AM

My latest batch of chili is on the stove. I keep tweaking the recipe every time I make it to try something new. This time I finely chopped beef suet and melted it down, while cooking chopped onions and green pepper in it to help give it added flavor. I have used suet for my Coney Island sauce before but not in my regular chili. Not pictured is the white vinegar, and the masa I also add to the chili near the end to thicken it up. I use the cheapest ground beef they have because it has the highest fat content. I like beans in mine, but you could easily substitute more meat for the beans. The Gold Star Cincinnati Chili seasoning has become my favorite off the shelf seasoning. I really dig it's flavor. I also add in extra cumin. Ignore the coffee and bbq sauce in the back ground they dont go in the chili. The two partially hidden cans are Rotel Hot Diced Tomatoes with Habanaros, and Contadina Tomato Paste. Cant wait till it is done cooking.

Looks fantastic. :wub: Sure hope I make it to your neck of the woods some day.

#23 DKTanker

DKTanker

1strdhit

• Members
  • 25,696 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 0656 AM

Before lunch today, I had a bowl of chili with chunky beef and beans. Not as good as last night's chili though, the flavor was mild, and the dish was too soupy.

Does it have beans in it?  Yes?

"Then it's not chili. Real chili has no beans in it, but you're from a foreign land, so your ignorance is forgiven."  Sheldon Cooper

#24 Mr King

Mr King

Fat Body

• Members
  • 19,418 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 0959 AM

Looks fantastic. :wub: Sure hope I make it to your neck of the woods some day.

Thanks Leo, it turned out fantastic. :)

#25 Mr King

Mr King

Fat Body

• Members
  • 19,418 posts

Posted 15 February 2014 - 2240 PM

Just a video I found while trying to research the spices that go into making Cincinnati style chili. This video features some of the more prominent chili parlors in Cincinnati and their brief bit of their histories. 

#26 Mr King

Mr King

Fat Body

• Members
  • 19,418 posts

Posted 23 February 2014 - 1838 PM

Big batch of chili that is on the stove now. With the last batch I have pretty much got my chili to where I want it for chili made from premixed seasoning. I am hesitant to venture out and start experimenting with using individual spices.  There are so many opinions on what makes Cincinnati style chili seasoning that I hate to move away from something I know that is good and end up with a big batch that tastes like crap. For me chili is not worth it unless I make a big batch, and it either tastes good or not, not much room for in between. 

8VlX1f7l.jpg

#27 Corinthian

Corinthian

Stone Age Bitter Delusional Retard

• Members
  • 21,347 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 1834 PM

That's why it says "optional."

Thoughtcrime. Report to the nearest komissar for proper indoctrination on the making of chili.

;)

#28 Corinthian

Corinthian

• Members
  • 21,347 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 1835 PM

Mr King, is it possible to freeze it solid and ship it via Fedex to my place? :lol: ;)

#29 Ivanhoe

Ivanhoe

purposeful grimace

• Members
  • 32,153 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 2023 PM

Mr King, is it possible to freeze it solid and ship it via Fedex to my place? :lol: ;)

Real Chili™, i.e. chili with no adulterants like beans or rice, freezes extremely well. When I make my chili, 1/3 goes into the freezer, 1/3 into the fridge, and 1/3 into me.

#30 Corinthian

Corinthian

• Members
  • 21,347 posts

Posted 24 February 2014 - 2246 PM

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH!!!!!!! ^_^

#31 Mr King

Mr King

Fat Body

• Members
  • 19,418 posts

Posted 25 February 2014 - 0028 AM

Hey Tomas check your PM's

#32 Ivanhoe

Ivanhoe

purposeful grimace

• Members
  • 32,153 posts

Posted 05 March 2014 - 2102 PM

2lngw9l.jpg

Worst digipic evar. For reasons unknown, my Drebble could not figure out the proper exposure for chili, so the above pic had to be tweaked pretty heavily. Anyways, about 3 lb of 75% lean burger and about 2 lb (net) of fresh tomatoes. I normally don't use hamburger, but this stuff was both on sale and in unusually good condition. I simmered the burger in beef broth, drained the liquid into a glass bowl while still hot, and put it in the fridge overnight. This morning, pulled the solidified fat off the au jus and poured the au jus back over the burger. This evening, added the spices and resumed simmering, worked the tomatoes, onion, and bell pepper, simmered some more, then added a can of good quality tomato paste to thicken.

Since I use KaCl rather than NaCl, and everything is fresh except the tomato paste (which is low-sodium anyway), its chili even a cardiologist could love. I'm guessing only about 25 grams of fat in the whole pot, or about 3 grams/bowl.

#33 Mr King

Mr King

Fat Body

• Members
  • 19,418 posts

Posted 13 July 2014 - 1814 PM

Tried my hand at making a low carbohydrate Cincinnati style chili so I could get my chili fix on my dietary restrictions. I had to forgo the ready to use Gold Star brand spice packets since they are loaded with carbs in the form of starches, and did the spice mixture from scratch for the first time.  I basically followed this recipe from AllRecipes.com, but scaled up the ingredients, and added my own touches. I used 5 pounds of ground beef, cut the tomato sauce and chopped onions, but added onion powder, 2 small cans of tomato paste, 2 small cans of diced green chilies, and 1 can of RoTel diced tomatoes with habaneros. Also because I had seen it done in another low carb chili recipe, I added 2lbs of sliced andouille sausage. I think next time I will just buy more ground beef, instead of the sausage.  It came out decent, and was better the next day after sitting in the fridge. Would be excellent as a topping for chili dogs. I am not used to eating chili without beans, but it is growing on me. Going to make it again and tweak the spices and recipe a little to get it just right. 

H6sqJ5w.png

http://allrecipes.co...innati-chili-i/

#34 snafu_72

snafu_72

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 1210 PM

I use cubed round steak instead of burger. I marinate it over night, brown it the day of and then make a roux after the beef is cooked. I add that to the chili at the end along with another dash of spices.

I also take fresh jalapenos, roast them over an open flame, place them in a paper bag for 10 minutes and then take the skin off using gloves. The heat is in the seeds and ribs inside so if you want a milder chili those can be removed.

The other thing I'll do is make a batch of green chili in the winter for a batch of chili rellenos! That is made with pork and green chilies and 0% tomatoes.

#35 Mr King

Mr King

Fat Body

• Members
  • 19,418 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 1854 PM

Working on another batch of keep it simple stupid low carb Cincinnati style chili. For variety this time, in addition to the usual Cincinnati style spice, I threw in some good yellow curry I got from a Indian market here locally. I am either going to end up liking it, or eating a bowl of regret every day for lunch over the course of the next 6 days. Though I can't imagine the spices in yellow curry not complimenting the spices that go into Cincinnati style chili spices. . 

One of these days I am going to get a phone with a good camera on it, or just quit being lazy and break out my good camera.  

ex3GYgDl.jpg

#36 Sardaukar

Sardaukar

Cynical Finnish Elk Eating Ilk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9,615 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 0224 AM

Looks very good. Just add some garlic to keep vampires at bay!  :)

Edited by Sardaukar, 26 July 2014 - 0225 AM.

#37 Rickard N

Rickard N

Swedish ilk

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,354 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 0520 AM

What's thw deal with beans anyway :)
Nice recipes, I fancy chili with lots of tomatows, is that also a sin? :D

/R

#38 Mr King

Mr King

Fat Body

• Members
  • 19,418 posts

Posted 26 July 2014 - 1352 PM

What's thw deal with beans anyway :)
Nice recipes, I fancy chili with lots of tomatows, is that also a sin? :D

/R

The topic of beans and chili is almost a religious debate in the US.  :)

#39 Mr King

Mr King

Fat Body

• Members
  • 19,418 posts

Posted 06 December 2014 - 0438 AM

I have got into the habit of stirring in a spoonful of yellow curry into my chili  at lunch. Ran out recently and I decided to start using the unopened bag of garam masala spice mix that has been sitting in my cupboard unused instead. Wish I had done so much sooner. The spices in the garam masala complement the spices already in my Cincinnati chili much better in my opinion than the yellow curry. Though I would happily eat it with either. I am probably committing all kinds of cultural desecration with my "cooking". but that is what makes my chili so uniquely American.  :D

#40 Ivanhoe

Ivanhoe

purposeful grimace

• Members
  • 32,153 posts

Posted 06 December 2014 - 1202 PM

foxe107.gif