2078 replies to this topic

#21 Leo Niehorster

Leo Niehorster

Meow

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,646 posts

Posted 22 August 2015 - 0256 AM

Oh, come on. There are also softer stars worth watching, like Helene Fischer.

https://www.youtube....h?v=7ZkejDqTuSM

Not the kind of I normally listen to, (Volksmusik / Schlager Musik), but she is worth watching, and has a large following in Germany.

And she also covers in English:

https://www.youtube....h?v=Yu5xG60lmBg

Interestingly enough, born in Russia.

Obscure reference from Facebook:

(Probably her grandparents had a dackel: Volgadeutsch → Volksdeutsch → Heim ins Reich → Deutsch)

#22 BansheeOne

BansheeOne

Bullshit filter overload, venting into civility charger

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14,482 posts

Posted 22 August 2015 - 0554 AM

In view of Tony E's veneration for Heino and David Hasselhoff, this is a good excuse to repost the video of the Große Zapfenstreich on the occasion of Theodor zu Guttenberg's farewell as defense minister.

#23 toysoldier

toysoldier

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11,129 posts

Posted 22 August 2015 - 0723 AM

Oh, come on. There are also softer stars worth watching, like Helene Fischer.

https://www.youtube....h?v=7ZkejDqTuSM

Not the kind of I normally listen to, (Volksmusik / Schlager Musik), but she is worth watching, and has a large following in Germany.

And she also covers in English:

https://www.youtube....h?v=Yu5xG60lmBg

Interestingly enough, born in Russia.

Obscure reference from Facebook:

(Probably her grandparents had a dackel: Volgadeutsch → Volksdeutsch → Heim ins Reich → Deutsch)

So, the German Celine Dion is easier on the eye than the original one.

But why bother when you already got Ute Lemper?

#24 TonyE

TonyE

I/Kitsap Militia

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5,481 posts

Posted 22 August 2015 - 1559 PM

In view of Tony E's veneration for Heino and David Hasselhoff, this is a good excuse to repost the video of the Große Zapfenstreich on the occasion of Theodor zu Guttenberg's farewell as defense minister.

von und zu! von und zu! ;) I miss Gutti. :(

OTOH, Heino, Hasselhoff and zu Guttenberg mentioned in the same sentence....i`m running for a cold shower! :ninja:

#25 wendist

wendist

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 693 posts

Posted 22 August 2015 - 1725 PM

No offence, but what is it with Germans and torches? I realize that the torches are an integral part of the Zapfenstreich but I know from personal experience that people (Swedes at least) who see this for the first time invariably compares it to the torchlight parades the Nazis held in the 30´s. 

Does any of todays Germans make this connection?

#26 TonyE

TonyE

I/Kitsap Militia

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5,481 posts

Posted 22 August 2015 - 1739 PM

Damn, that was the exact same thing that popped into my mind when i watched the clip a little earlier. :D

#27 Ssnake

Ssnake

Virtual Shiva Beast

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 6,851 posts

Posted 22 August 2015 - 1741 PM

Sure do ... but then again, do you really want every single tradition be taken away just because "Nazi!"?

They ruined so many things. I concede that there may be reason for alarm once that we start marching in formation through the streets (with torches) on a regular basis. The Zapfenstreich, it's done maybe once every other year (whenever a defence minister must resign - it's about time now, come to think of it). So, I guess you're still safe for the moment.

#28 Mr King

Mr King

Fat Body

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,418 posts

Posted 22 August 2015 - 1747 PM

I guess its because I am an American that the first thing I think of when I think of Germany is tits and beer

MEInhBN.jpg

#29 Al

Al

aka Al

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,483 posts

Posted 22 August 2015 - 1817 PM

I guess its because I am an American that the first thing I think of when I think of Germany is tits and beer

MEInhBN.jpg

I'm with you Mr. King.  I need to go back to Germany sometime soon.

#30 FlyingCanOpener

FlyingCanOpener

Kakistocrat

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 9,138 posts

Posted 22 August 2015 - 1857 PM

Good old Oktoberfest.

AwayTrikot_06_GET_010913.variant846x476.

#31 wendist

wendist

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 693 posts

Posted 23 August 2015 - 0201 AM

Sure do ... but then again, do you really want every single tradition be taken away just because "Nazi!"?

They ruined so many things. I concede that there may be reason for alarm once that we start marching in formation through the streets (with torches) on a regular basis. The Zapfenstreich, it's done maybe once every other year (whenever a defence minister must resign - it's about time now, come to think of it). So, I guess you're still safe for the moment.

No I don´t and I`m aware of what a political/emotional minefield this subject is to you guys. Which is why it´s a bit surprising that these ceremonies, that can be emotionally quite powerful, has survived. The key here, I suppose, is context. If one is aware that these traditions are much older than the Nazi-movement and that the Bundeswehr is trying to establish links back to a different Germany then it becomes a lot easier to accept.

#32 Simon Tan

Simon Tan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13,147 posts

Posted 23 August 2015 - 0207 AM

The strange reality that is Europa today. I think Bismarck would quite approve.

#33 wendist

wendist

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 693 posts

Posted 23 August 2015 - 0208 AM

MEInhBN.jpg

German tits, beer and for that matter wine as well is all great stuff. :D  Though the tits are off limits to me or i will need a very,very good explanation. ^_^

#34 BansheeOne

BansheeOne

Bullshit filter overload, venting into civility charger

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14,482 posts

Posted 23 August 2015 - 0352 AM

Well, German women and alcohol are the subject of the Deutschlandlied's second stanza after all. Which is not sung anymore, but presumably only because after ditching "Deutschland, Deutschland über alles" it would be somewhat awkward to start the national anthem with "German women, German faithfulness, German wine and German song". :)

The Zapfenstreich is not so rare BTW, about any three-star general and civilian equivalent gets one upon retirement, including allied commanders; I've been to one for an outgoing USAFE chief. What is rare are the ones in public squares; the vast majority is literally hidden in the yard of the MoD's Berlin seat at the Bendlerblock, and only the ones for ministers and chancellors are usually televised. At the 2011 Berlin I&I some of us tried to watch one for I believe the outgoing German commander of the NATO Defense College from outside the fence, but could see very little because the adjacent streets were blocked off for security reasons.

And yes, with the return of the Fritz helmet shape, there is an even more distinct, uh, historic feel to the event. Personally, I have long decided that if I should ever qualify, I will have the Star Wars Imperial March played as one of the three tunes the recipient gets to select. :D

#35 Martin M

Martin M

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,085 posts

Posted 23 August 2015 - 0456 AM

The " Fackelzug "

http://polpix.suedde...0x600/image.jpg

is still around,

http://polpix.suedde...deutschland.jpg

and has been compilmented by the Gutmensch  " Lichterkette "

http://www.express.d...9194807_ori.jpg

Edited by Martin M, 23 August 2015 - 0456 AM.

#36 sunday

sunday

Bronze-age right-wing delusional retard

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12,032 posts

Posted 23 August 2015 - 0504 AM

Well, German women and alcohol are the subject of the Deutschlandlied's second stanza after all. Which is not sung anymore, but presumably only because after ditching "Deutschland, Deutschland über alles" it would be somewhat awkward to start the national anthem with "German women, German faithfulness, German wine and German song". :)

The Zapfenstreich is not so rare BTW, about any three-star general and civilian equivalent gets one upon retirement, including allied commanders; I've been to one for an outgoing USAFE chief. What is rare are the ones in public squares; the vast majority is literally hidden in the yard of the MoD's Berlin seat at the Bendlerblock, and only the ones for ministers and chancellors are usually televised. At the 2011 Berlin I&I some of us tried to watch one for I believe the outgoing German commander of the NATO Defense College from outside the fence, but could see very little because the adjacent streets were blocked off for security reasons.

And yes, with the return of the Fritz helmet shape, there is an even more distinct, uh, historic feel to the event. Personally, I have long decided that if I should ever qualify, I will have the Star Wars Imperial March played as one of the three tunes the recipient gets to select. :D

Yes. I remember that: the sentinels following the music, the torches shining, that socks-and-sandals SJW protesting because he could not ride his bike the usual way...

Very German, all in all :)

Edited by sunday, 23 August 2015 - 0504 AM.

#37 Rick

Rick

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 4,237 posts

Posted 23 August 2015 - 0648 AM

Yes. I remember that: the sentinels following the music, the torches shining, that socks-and-sandals SJW protesting because he could not ride his bike the usual way...

Very German, all in all :)

"...socks-and-sandals SJW..." ? 

#38 sunday

sunday

Bronze-age right-wing delusional retard

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12,032 posts

Posted 23 August 2015 - 0710 AM

That's a very German type of progressive, the kind that uses Birkenstocks with white socks.

#39 X-Files

X-Files

1211st Desantsofter Legion

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 29,308 posts

Posted 23 August 2015 - 1214 PM

Germany, you'll always be my Cold War Frontline.

#40 Martin M

Martin M

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,085 posts

Posted 23 August 2015 - 1331 PM

Captain Jack is pretty damn good  !  Don´t care much for Nena after the day; she is a Nervbolzen now.

Captain Jack reminds me of this one by Mr. President

don´t care abozt the big breasted girls, THIS one is HOT !   Wow !!!!!!!!!!!