#21 Corinthian

Corinthian

Stone Age Bitter Delusional Retard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,321 posts
  • Interests:Wholesome stuff.

Posted 29 July 2014 - 0841 AM

Any improvement in performance vs machinegun fire?

:lol: ! ! ! ! ! ! !

#22 BP

BP

Kulak

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11,841 posts
  • Interests:Tanks. No shit.

Posted 29 July 2014 - 0842 AM

Monument honors U.S. 'horse soldiers' who invaded Afghanistan

http://www.cnn.com/2...diers-memorial/

That dude is about as hard as woodpecker lips:

That almost happened to Jung. When his horse slid backward, he jumped off, and the horse landed on him.

"It was the first week. Winded up breaking my back," Jung says quietly.

The sculptor's eyes are wide; his hand rubs his chin. "So, you rode the rest of the mission with a broken back?" Blumberg asks.

"Correct," Jung answers, "Two shots of morphine to relieve the pain, and get back on the horse. I would not allow myself to be the weak link. It's not in my nature, and it's not in any Green Beret's nature."

#23 rmgill

rmgill

Strap-hanger

• Members
  • 23,540 posts
  • Interests:WWII Armor, Ferrets, Dingos, Humbers, etc...

Posted 29 July 2014 - 1137 AM

Seriously though, how do you camouflage a horse? I wonder if that cameleon skin the British MOD was working on might prove practical?

Snuggy-Hoods-Camo-jams1.jpg

How do you camouflage a truck or a tank? You can make a horse lay down. Can you make a tank lay down? 

#24 rmgill

rmgill

Strap-hanger

• Members
  • 23,540 posts
  • Interests:WWII Armor, Ferrets, Dingos, Humbers, etc...

Posted 29 July 2014 - 1338 PM

Pop smoke? 

#25 ink

ink

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,358 posts
  • Interests:Military stuff, political stuff, history stuff, beer.

Posted 29 July 2014 - 1425 PM

As I recall, Soviet partisans made use of horses for mobile operations in the German rear (apologies for the turn of phrase) throughout WWII. I suspect they used them as mounted infantry rather than as cavalry though. Seems like for some wars, where climbing mountains or traversing large areas of poorly defended territory are part and parcel of the task at hand, horses might be quite handy to have around.

This whole threat reminds me a bit of the armoured train thread... i.e. they might have some (albeit limited) uses but you wouldn't want to take them into combat. Also, both were used pretty intensively during the Russian civil war.

Edited by ink, 29 July 2014 - 1425 PM.

#26 Kentucky-roughrider

Kentucky-roughrider

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 321 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, military history, horses ,and reading<br />

Posted 29 July 2014 - 2036 PM

Seriously though, how do you camouflage a horse? I wonder if that cameleon skin the British MOD was working on might prove practical?

How do you camouflage a truck or a tank? You can make a horse lay down. Can you make a tank lay down? 

Ah, but how do you retreat while the bugger is lying down. Didn't think of that did you? ;)  :P

A horses first defence is flight and they can get up form even laying down very fast.
 Dragoon had three traditions that had evolved by the 18th century: the English tradition (they were a pure cavarly force who were armed with carbines ), The Prussian tradition (they could fight neither as mounted troopers or as infantry if the need was there and were concidered the best in Europe) and the French tradtion, they were pure mounted infantry. and modern firearms are allot easier to fire from the back of a horse compared to a musket. 

#27 X-Files

X-Files

1211st Desantsofter Legion

• Members
  • 29,308 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 2111 PM

german-cav-gas-mask.jpg

#28 X-Files

X-Files

• Members
  • 29,308 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 2114 PM

This whole threat reminds me a bit of the armoured train thread... i.e. they might have some (albeit limited) uses but you wouldn't want to take them into combat. 

Oh?

In his book, Horse Soldiers, Doug Stanton describes a cavalry attack supported by U.S. Special Forces (pages 152-155). Two lines of 150 men each formed up behind a hill about a mile from the Taliban trenches. The horsemen carried an assortment of weapons including AK 47s and RPGs (rocket propelled grenades). There were about seven ridges between the Afghan (Northern Alliance) cavalry and the Taliban position. Each ridge was about 50 feet high, with about 200 yards of ground between each. "As they rode, the horsemen continued rising up and down the hills, appearing and disappearing."

At about a half mile range the Taliban, very much aware of the Afghan presence, began firing with machine guns and tanks at the thin first line of horsemen. As Stanton relates, "Men would be riding in the saddle and then suddenly fly backward as if yanked and tumble to the ground and lie motionless as more horses approched from behind and leaped over them, charging toward the firing line." The horsemen were riding as fast as they could, with their reins in their teeth toward the enemy as if their safety lay in direct confrontation with the enemy. They were aided by the waves of the ridges which made it difficult for the guns, especially on the tanks, to take accurate aim.

At the last ridge before the Taliban position, the Afghans jumped from their horses, placed the horse's reins on the ground and placed one foot on top of them to keep the horses from flying. They then unleashed a furious fire on the trench. Meanwhile the U.S. special forces who were present called down smart bombs on the tanks. As the first line of cavalry fired, the second line caught up and "blew past, shouting, galloping straight at the Taliban line. The standing fighters swung back into their saddles and beat their horses to catch up." The two lines now formed one single attack. The Taliban line crumbled. Many of the Taliban threw down their weapons and ran.

http://www.indepthin...se-soldiers.htm

#29 Phalanx

Phalanx

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 536 posts
  • Interests:Military history, armour, and technology. General history. Politics.

Posted 29 July 2014 - 2210 PM

Some mood music for the thread?  Sorry, came to mind because it references the use of horses in Afghanistan.

#30 Archie Pellagio

Archie Pellagio

Now flouridating a water source near YOU!

• Members
  • 15,224 posts
  • Interests:Vermonter global conquest rampages!

Posted 30 July 2014 - 0128 AM

Pop smoke?

Smoke grenade launchers on a cavalry horse? You been hanging out with Sparky? :ninja:

More importantly, how do you para-drop a horse?

#31 Mr King

Mr King

Fat Body

• Members
  • 19,076 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 0133 AM

Pop smoke?

Smoke grenade launchers on a cavalry horse? You been hanging out with Sparky? :ninja:

More importantly, how do you para-drop a horse?

Very carefully 

#32 lucklucky

lucklucky

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,665 posts
  • Interests:Design,Strategy,3D &amp;Gfx

Posted 30 July 2014 - 0206 AM

The Italian air dropped horses or mules in East Africa , i think was at time of Ethiopia conquest.

#33 Archie Pellagio

Archie Pellagio

Now flouridating a water source near YOU!

• Members
  • 15,224 posts
  • Interests:Vermonter global conquest rampages!

Posted 30 July 2014 - 0212 AM

il_340x270.256874505.jpg

#34 baboon6

baboon6

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,865 posts
  • Interests:military history, current affairs, sport (rugby, cricket, football), Bushmills whiskey, wine, bad 80s pop music (Howard Jones, Human League etc).

Posted 30 July 2014 - 0446 AM

How do you camouflage a truck or a tank? You can make a horse lay down. Can you make a tank
Ah, but how do you retreat while the bugger is lying down. Didn't think of that did you? ;)  :P
, The Prussian tradition (they could fight neither as mounted troopers or as infantry if the need was there and were concidered the best in Europe) 

Why were they considered the best then? They sound pretty useless to me!

#35 X-Files

X-Files

• Members
  • 29,308 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 0503 AM

220px-British_Airborne_Units.svg.png

#36 Panzermann

Panzermann

REFORGER '79

• Members
  • 16,044 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 0537 AM

How do you camouflage a truck or a tank? You can make a horse lay down. Can you make a tank
, The Prussian tradition (they could fight neither as mounted troopers or as infantry if the need was there and were concidered the best in Europe) 

Why were they considered the best then? They sound pretty useless to me!

Either. they fought as either. I think he mistyped.

But a long standing running gag was that dragoons were neither fish nor fowl, jack-of-all-trades and masters of none in the Prussian army.

#37 Marek Tucan

Marek Tucan

Powerpoint Ranger, Chairborne

• Members
  • 15,973 posts

Posted 30 July 2014 - 0702 AM

"Mounted they fear infantry, dismounted they fear cavalry" or something like that.

#38 DougRichards

DougRichards

Doug Richards

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10,029 posts
  • Interests:Degree in History and Politics. Interests are Military History, military models,

Posted 30 July 2014 - 0748 AM

A horses first defence is flight and they can get up form even laying down very fast.
 Dragoon had three traditions that had evolved by the 18th century: the English tradition (they were a pure cavarly force who were armed with carbines ), The Prussian tradition (they could fight neither as mounted troopers or as infantry if the need was there and were concidered the best in Europe) and the French tradtion, they were pure mounted infantry. and modern firearms are allot easier to fire from the back of a horse compared to a musket. 

Actually many C19 US cavalry units were dragoons.  Also think of Buford at Gettysburg.  A division of cavalry, who got to the contested ground first, held that ground agaisnt superior infantry forces until Union infantry came up.

Robert E Lee's father, Henry 'Light Horse Harry' Lee won fame as a commander of Dragoons.

The Australian Light Horse in the ME in WW1 were dragoons, who were also used in traditional cavalry roles such as patrolling, but were armed as infantry, not as cavalry, even though there were moves to equip them late in the campaign with traditional cavalry weapons such as pistols and sabres.  Their most famous charge was as improvised cavalry, being the only forces available who could possibly do the deed.  They were both great horsemen, and brave, but also lucky and well supported.

#39 lucklucky

lucklucky

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,665 posts
  • Interests:Design,Strategy,3D &amp;Gfx

Posted 30 July 2014 - 1126 AM

Actually it appears in Ethipia were cows and oxes from the sky

2ryt187.jpg

Edited by lucklucky, 30 July 2014 - 1126 AM.

#40 Mr King

Mr King

Fat Body

• Members
  • 19,076 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 1417 PM

Haflinger horses of the Austrian Jagerbattalions 

quaBHWJ.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users