90 replies to this topic

#61 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

Just Another Salisbury Tourist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54,655 posts

Posted 15 September 2019 - 0333 AM

Ive no idea why, but this kind of reminds me of a Delorean sales video.....

#62 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

• Members
  • 54,655 posts

Posted 17 September 2019 - 0657 AM

An Easter Egg in the F14 DCS allows the RIO to play Asteroids. :D

#63 Daan

Daan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,121 posts

Posted 19 September 2019 - 0534 AM

Improve your BFM, commentary by a former F/A-18C pilot.

Edited by Daan, 19 September 2019 - 0534 AM.

#64 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

• Members
  • 54,655 posts

Posted 19 September 2019 - 0547 AM

I had an interesting debate on the F14 thread on the DCS forum. It seems some people cant dogfight now that it doesnt vibrate like an electric toothbrush. Go figure. :)

https://forums.eagle...t=245762&page=9

Thanks for that, have you ever seen this one, it might come in quite useful for the Falcon when it arrives next week.

The book is pretty interesting too.

#65 Daan

Daan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,121 posts

Posted 19 September 2019 - 0624 AM

Yeah, I read the booklet by the man with the stache. I also installed the latest iteration of BMS, but have not yet come around to actually play it, so much to configure and map. It is even less user-friendly than DCS and alt-tabbing freezes the game. You are supposed to consult the many manuals on a separate system or iPad or even to print it.

Currently, I am back to playing with the Viggen, making bombing runs on the Cold War server.

Edited by Daan, 19 September 2019 - 0626 AM.

#66 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

• Members
  • 54,655 posts

Posted 19 September 2019 - 0635 AM

I keep meaning to check out that Cold War Server, I always keep missing it for some reason. The into the inferno one is pretty good. I actually took off from the carrier, bagged 2 Mig21's (AI ones, but still nice) and then land back on the carrier in my F14. Felt pretty awesome. :)

#67 Daan

Daan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,121 posts

Posted 19 September 2019 - 0712 AM

Alpenwolf's Cold War server often does not show up in the normal server list. Like most of the active DCS MP servers, it requires the beta version of the game instead of 'stable release'. I converted my 'stable release' to beta using SkateZilla's  utility, which proved to be quite simple and resulted in a stable game that now updates itself to the latest beta version.

When the Cold War server does not show up, you can connect to it by using its IP: https://forums.eagle...ad.php?t=211361

On week nights there are mostly 10-20 people playing and in the weekends a bit more.

However, if you are dreaming of using the F-14B to swat some MiG-21s on the Cold War server, I am afraid this will remain a reverie, as the F-14B is not allowed. Available aircraft are the AJS-37, F-5E, AV-8B+, F-86, A-10A, MiG-15bis, MiG-19, MiG-21bis, baseline Su-25 and some of the warbirds. There are no AI aircraft (except AWACS) and some players, especially Eastern European MiG-21bis jockeys, are quite good. 

Edited by Daan, 19 September 2019 - 0716 AM.

#68 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

• Members
  • 54,655 posts

Posted 19 September 2019 - 0729 AM

Yeah, I run beta.

Thanks, ill try that. I fly the Mig21 also, but maybe they will change their minds when the A model Tomcat comes out.

#69 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

• Members
  • 54,655 posts

Posted 23 September 2019 - 0348 AM

I thought this was pretty stunning. Of course I know wake turbulence is in, I felt it last night when I was on the dogfight server. But to see it visualised, its amazingly lifelike to the real thing.

#70 MiloMorai

MiloMorai

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,899 posts

Posted 23 September 2019 - 1202 PM

Have the a2a missles been fixed?

#71 Daan

Daan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,121 posts

Posted 23 September 2019 - 1312 PM

No, compared to, say, BMS they still suffer from excessive drag.

#72 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

• Members
  • 54,655 posts

Posted 24 September 2019 - 0201 AM

I think its got incrementally better. Ive got better results from sparrow of late. And Sidewinder seems to be fairly accurate, particularly when you have a height advantage on an adversary.

As for drag, im no expert, but one of the developers 'Chizh', said that they are planning on doing some more with the Phoenix, which includes some aerodynamic modifications. They are looking at October for that, although I guess that doesnt mean we will actually  see it in October. :D

https://forums.eagle...=247011&page=17

#73 Stargrunt6

Stargrunt6

Empire Apologist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 7,833 posts

Posted 24 September 2019 - 1601 PM

I had an interesting debate on the F14 thread on the DCS forum. It seems some people cant dogfight now that it doesnt vibrate like an electric toothbrush. Go figure. :)
https://forums.eagle...t=245762&page=9

Thanks for that, have you ever seen this one, it might come in quite useful for the Falcon when it arrives next week.

The book is pretty interesting too.

That came with the Falcon 3.0 Gold deluxe edition as a separate CD ROM. That takes me way back. I've shared my story about how I got that game.

#74 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

• Members
  • 54,655 posts

Posted 25 September 2019 - 0133 AM

Yeah, I had one of the lower level version's of it, I never got the Gold Version. And I still regret never having got the Mig29 addon pack, although in fairness it would have been nothing that DCS doesnt offer (other than a dynamic campaign).

Same with Fleet Defender. Ive flirted with getting it again on Steam because of its first rate campaign, although in truth after the F14 DCS, I just dont think I could cope with the blocky graphics now.

#75 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

• Members
  • 54,655 posts

Posted 25 September 2019 - 0347 AM

x8j9l27grgo31.jpg

#76 Daan

Daan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2,121 posts

Posted 27 September 2019 - 1425 PM

Yeah, the F-15E, interesting aircraft. Notwithstanding the picture, the limiting factor among the development teams is the not the number of modellers, but the number of coders to make it all work. Then there is the early access model, which was severely criticized this week on Hoggit.

#77 MiloMorai

MiloMorai

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 3,899 posts

Posted 28 September 2019 - 0045 AM

ED/DCS always puts out half finished modules that never get finished.

#78 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

• Members
  • 54,655 posts

Posted 28 September 2019 - 0149 AM

I dont know if that's entirely fair. The Spitfire, Fw190D, A10, KA50 and all the FC3 aircraft are all finished. And problems they have are down to bugs introduced with DCS upgrades for the most part. In fact the changes they are making to the A10 and the KA50 are completely free, but will bring the cockpits up to the 21st Century at last.

There IS a lot of half finished modules out there, its perfectly true. But I think the worst offenders are the 3rd Parties in truth, such as the (otherwise excellent mig21) that seems to be dragging on forever. Compare  and contrast to Heatblur whom have a more logical structure, yes there are delays but there is a perfectly playable module there in the F14. They just want to make it perfect before they downgrade to an A model. When unfinished modules are as good as that, I find it difficult to find complaint personally.

#79 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

• Members
  • 54,655 posts

Posted 29 September 2019 - 0524 AM

#80 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

• Members