• Please log in to reply
5630 replies to this topic

#5621 rmgill

rmgill

Strap-hanger

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,879 posts
  • Interests:WWII Armor, Ferrets, Dingos, Humbers, etc...

Posted Today, 07:22 AM

Says the guy who watches stuff by Gamergate YouTubers to stay informed about British politics. :lol:

1. Genetic fallacy.
2. If he's just some gamer gate dude, why did what he say even matter to anyone at the BBC? Why did they interview him? Why go to his press conference?

I never understood how anyone still listens to "Sargon" anyway. As far as I can tell, Carl Benjamin is a former video game programmer who somehow believes himself to be qualified to offer political commentary on YouTube, yet has been consistently wrong on most of his Brexit talking points.

He's far more qualified than you are given his viewership and his arguments. You're just some dude on the internet. Carl Benjamin is a pundit with an audience and does well considering he's not funded by the state to promote woke ideas.

Edited by rmgill, Today, 07:30 AM.

#5622 rmgill

rmgill

Strap-hanger

• Members
  • 23,879 posts

Posted Today, 07:27 AM

1 He did make the comments he did make.

As they were stated and characterized, No, he didn't. You repeated them. I demonstrated to you why they were false and painted you with the same tactic. You even acknowledged that the story was false. There's a lesson for you there that you've failed to take to heart.

And once again, you are freely applying what is American logic to a British political environment. In the US the media is owned by the Left. In the UK the media is owned by the right. If he cannot get fair coverage in a media that is dominated by the political right, I submit he has something of a problem.

Your political right is entirely uncontrolling of the content and the editorial slant is most certainly not right leaning. This is illustrated across the board far beyond the likes of Karl Benjamin. Look at the furor over Jordan Peterson? Or Canadace Owens. Or Any number of heterodox views. If they're outside of the woke liberal view in media, it's cast in a poor light.

Here's a thing for you to ponder. Why is Carl Benjamin's promise to NOT rape Jess Phillips as a point about an issue something that garners great condemnation while Jess Phillip's own statement that she'd Knife Corbyn in the front is "just a metaphor darling"?

Edited by rmgill, Today, 07:34 AM.

#5623 JasonJ

JasonJ

nonbiri

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 10,764 posts
  • Interests:sleeping

Posted Today, 07:32 AM

On August 20th, the trade minsters of the UK and Japan had a phone chat about trade negotiations including potential of joining CPTPP.

https://www.gov.uk/g...de-and-industry

UK trade minister, Liz Truss, is heading to New Zealand, Australia, and Japan (September 16th-20th) for talks about trade negotiation preparations after Brexit on October 31st. Talks to include the potential of joining the CPTPP.

https://www.gov.uk/g...ralia-and-japan

#5624 Der Zeitgeist

Der Zeitgeist

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1,209 posts

Posted Today, 07:38 AM

I never understood how anyone still listens to "Sargon" anyway. As far as I can tell, Carl Benjamin is a former video game programmer who somehow believes himself to be qualified to offer political commentary on YouTube, yet has been consistently wrong on most of his Brexit talking points.

He's far more qualified than you are given his viewership and his arguments. You're just some dude on the internet. Carl Benjamin is a pundit with an audience and does well considering he's not funded by the state to promote woke ideas.

Ah, so you think being qualified to talk about a particular subject is dependent on the size of his audience and how convincing his arguments sound to said audience. I guess that makes all these crazy anti-vaxxer YouTubers medical experts.

#5625 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

Just Another Salisbury Tourist

• Members
  • 53,919 posts

Posted Today, 07:51 AM

1 He did make the comments he did make.

2 You are what you say.

You dont have to accept my belief he is a mysogynist prick. You do have to accept however he seems entirely happy with the label hung round his neck.

Well, im a current video game designer, but the rest still applies to me. :D I flatter myself im not a misogynist prick though.

At Ryans urging, I have tried to listen to his podcast. I really cant do it. Its tone is so objectionable, so utterly foreign to any British political program I cant do it. I guess if you grew up on a diet of Steve Bannon and Fox news is small beer, but its very unprofitable for me. He didnt so much seem to want to address problems as throw invective at it. Well my father was good at throwing invective, but at least he offered workable solutions when doing so.

I find the best perspective on Brexit and politics is the alternatives comedians. But political satire has had a far longer life here than anywhere else I think.

#5626 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

• Members
  • 53,919 posts

Posted Today, 08:01 AM

Ok, I deleted that. Im done with arguing with Carl Benjamin. This is about Brexit, and im not going to get dragged off into pointless side arguments about irrelevant misogynist pricks. Ill leave it there.

Edited by Stuart Galbraith, Today, 08:10 AM.

#5627 glenn239

glenn239

Crew

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 5,126 posts

Posted Today, 08:23 AM

Ah, so you think being qualified to talk about a particular subject is dependent on the size of his audience and how convincing his arguments sound to said audience. I guess that makes all these crazy anti-vaxxer YouTubers medical experts.

The way democracy works is that no one needs qualifications to talk about anything.  You talk, and people either tune you out or tune you in.  Once you start talking about people being qualified to discuss Brexit, (will the EU issue them a permit?), we're into 1984 territory.   The analogy to anti-vax is wrong because the arguments on Brexit are artistic, meaning that the actual factual truths of the matter are so complex and intertwined that no scientific conclusions are possible without direct observation first.  Anyone arguing otherwise is engaging in that bullshit artistry that Stuart mentions he's good at detecting.  

Edited by glenn239, Today, 08:26 AM.

#5628 rmgill

rmgill

Strap-hanger

• Members
  • 23,879 posts

Posted Today, 08:51 AM

Ah, so you think being qualified to talk about a particular subject is dependent on the size of his audience and how convincing his arguments sound to said audience.

www.nielsen.com

I guess that makes all these crazy anti-vaxxer YouTubers medical experts.

They dovetail with the Lysenkoist, Feminists and 40 gender types don't they.

#5629 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

• Members
  • 53,919 posts

Posted 36 minutes ago

https://www.theguard...k-sources-admit

Boris Johnson’s Brexit negotiators have so far only presented the EU with a draft of the withdrawal agreement with the backstop scrubbed out, UK government sources have confirmed.

In a move that has caused tensions with EU leaders, Johnson’s team are refusing to put forward a written proposal to Brussels at this stage for fear it will be rejected out of hand or publicly rubbished.

Instead, they want to wait until almost the last minute before the October summit before presenting a plan to the EU, with just two weeks before the UK is due to leave the bloc.

The UK government source said the two sides have debated alternatives to the backstop in written discussion documents – such as an all-Ireland regulatory zone and customs checks away from the border – but they will not be putting forward a legal text to the EU at this stage.

There have been reports that David Frost, the UK’s lead negotiator, is keeping a plan locked safe in his briefcase but the wording has not been shared with Brussels.

There you go Bojo, thats how you get the buggers to negotiate. Dont give them anything they can disagree with. :D

#5630 Stuart Galbraith

Stuart Galbraith

• Members
  • 53,919 posts

Posted 19 minutes ago

https://www.bbc.co.u...litics-49720863

A Liberal Democrat government would revoke Article 50 and stop Brexit "on day one", leader Jo Swinson has vowed.

In her first speech to the party's conference as leader, she reiterated its policy of overturning the law ensuring the UK will leave the EU.

A no-deal Brexit would be like "burning your house down", Ms Swinson added.

The East Dunbartonshire MP also appealed to Scottish voters to reject the SNP and join a "bigger movement for change" across UK to stop Brexit.

Ahead of an expected general election, Ms Swinson said she could not wait to take on Boris Johnson, Labour's Jeremy Corbyn and Brexit Party leader Nigel Farage.

The Lib Dems currently have 18 MPs - a figure boosted by recent defections - but it would require a seismic shift in the electoral landscape for them to win power.

Nevertheless, Ms Swinson received a standing ovation when she told the conference she wanted to be prime minister, adding: "There is no limit to my ambition for our party."

On Tuesday, as the Supreme Court began hearing two appeals relating to the suspension of Parliament, Lib Dem conference delegates backed an emergency motion calling for the suspension of Parliament to be reversed.

Lord Newby, Lib Dem leader in the House of Lords, said the prime minister had prorogued Parliament on "a transparent lie" in a way that had reduced the Queen to "a ceremonial rubber stamp".

Earlier at the conference Lib Dem members voted overwhelmingly to back her proposal for a manifesto pledge to revoke Article 50 if the party came into power with a majority government.

Which on the face of it, is not likely. OTOH, stranger things have happened as im sure you have all noticed.

#5631 BansheeOne

BansheeOne

Bullshit filter overload, venting into civility charger

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14,142 posts

Posted 7 minutes ago

I thought this week how big the likelihood would be for the Queen to name Swinson PM based upon the "most likely to command a majority in the Commons" metric. Boris demonstrably doesn't right now, and Corbyn really has no better standing, so she is the next-best choice. Of course the Soft Brexit camp would not necessarily throw in with a declared Remainer either, and it's a lot more likely that either the Tories or Labour come up with a more agreeable leader instead.

Edited by BansheeOne, 5 minutes ago.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users